Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sampo
    • Jul 2011

My DIY solar oven

Hi folks, you are invited to visit my youtube channel were I show my DIY Solar oven. Unlike many other panel solar cookers it withstand rain and reaches high temperatures of 100 110 Celsius (220-250 Fahrenheit) and you can easily fold it to A4 size. I think that solar oven is the most affordable and effective free energy solution. Actually in many traditional households were there several children gas bills (including microwave, oven, toster, kettle) exceed more then twice bills on electricity. Even more if you live in desert or in arid climate you can use Solncebranka as a refrigerator because it keeps 100 C during all day so food doesn't get burned or spoiled and in the night you have very chilly weather in the desert so it doesn't get spoiled during night time. You can leave food for several days this way without any refrigiration! Maybe this is solution you were looking for what do you think?
    Last edited by russ; 09-09-2011, 01:53 PM. Reason: removed link
  • noeladdison
    • Jul 2011

Solar ovens are simple to build and very effective for cooking. You'll be surprised how hot they can get and how good the food tastes. Solar ovens are being promoted for use in 3rd world countries to stop deforestation and reduce air pollution.

Comment

• Sampo
      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by noeladdison
      Solar ovens are simple to build and very effective for cooking. You'll be surprised how hot they can get and how good the food tastes. Solar ovens are being promoted for use in 3rd world countries to stop deforestation and reduce air pollution.

Why only in 3rd world countries? Do you think that in first world gas supplies are endless, actually whoever won't make or buy solar oven will die like a dinosaur in 30 years when gas/oil supplies are over, or will turn to fleshy vulture devouring rat flesh without baking.... I guess it will be the fate of all lazy folks who won't get ready to Apokalypsis

Comment

• russ
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Sampo
        Why only in 3rd world countries? Do you think that in first world gas supplies are endless, actually whoever won't make or buy solar oven will die like a dinosaur in 30 years when gas/oil supplies are over, or will turn to fleshy vulture devouring rat flesh without baking.... I guess it will be the fate of all lazy folks who won't get ready to Apokalypsis
        Pure BS - might try to learn to spell as well.
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Sampo you are full of CRUMB
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• john p
            Solar Fanatic
            • Oct 2010

OKIE DOKIE is full of CRUMB

Comment

• natel
              • Apr 2012

solar oven

For someone who doesn't want to try and make one of these themselves, would anyone recommend any of the products you can buy out there? Does anyone use a solar oven on a regular basis? Or, are these just a hassle to use?

Comment

• Buck Rogers 2000
                • Mar 2012

Premade Sun Ovens

Originally posted by natel
                For someone who doesn't want to try and make one of these themselves, would anyone recommend any of the products you can buy out there? Does anyone use a solar oven on a regular basis? Or, are these just a hassle to use?
                Solar cooking is fun and healthy. That said, it takes an investment of your time and a willingness to have some failures. This is true of the premade solar ovens. I've been using my Sunovens for a few years, it's a blast. I still have failures from time to time. This means I have to finish on the stove, grill, etc.

If you're interested, you can check out a video I made of Paul Munsen a couple of weeks ago. He's the president of Sunoven International. He gave a seminar in our back yard. He goes into the benefits and advantages.

The video is on my YouTube channel (Designcbts) and is called "SunOven Seminar with Paul Munsen" Good luck!

Comment

• russ
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jul 2009

''Solar cooking is fun and healthy''

Fun for some maybe but if it has to be cooked by me I consider it inedible. The healthy part is horse hocky - no different than any other style.
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Buck Rogers 2000
                    • Mar 2012

Ahh, but have you tried it?

Originally posted by russ
                    ''Solar cooking is fun and healthy''

Fun for some maybe but if it has to be cooked by me I consider it inedible. The healthy part is horse hocky - no different than any other style.
                    While I have no statistics to back me up, I do have experience. Solar cooking IS different. That's one of the reasons it takes an investment of time. You're probably thinking an oven is an oven, you would be mistaken...

Comment

• russ
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Buck Rogers 2000
                      While I have no statistics to back me up, I do have experience. Solar cooking IS different. That's one of the reasons it takes an investment of time. You're probably thinking an oven is an oven, you would be mistaken...
                      Yes, an oven is an oven - there are numerous types of ovens - solar is only one of the types and probably the most problematic to use - anything additional claimed is green blather.
                      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• inetdog
                        Super Moderator
                        • May 2012

anything additional claimed is green blather.
                        I would tend to agree if the claim is that the food is in any way healthier or better for the consumer than something cooked some other way. But the placebo effect can sure make it seem to taste better if you think you are doing something good!

Not yet for the US market (except maybe for really deep off-grid), but in some countries in the rural areas all of the burnable wood has been consumed, dung is in short supply, there is no electric power (and using it for cooking would be a true waste) and imported charcoal or kerosene costs more than most can afford. So that aspect of solar cooking is green and not blather.
                        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• russ
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jul 2009

I agree - nothing at all wrong with a solar oven but there are no 'special properties' either.

The numerous styles of preparing food have a major affect - the heat source doesn't.

They are especially beneficial in poor countries - helps keep the peasants from cutting down every living thing for fire wood at least.
                          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Buck Rogers 2000
                            • Mar 2012

Special Properties

I agree - nothing at all wrong with a solar oven but there are no 'special properties' either.

The numerous styles of preparing food have a major affect - the heat source doesn't.

They are especially beneficial in poor countries - helps keep the peasants from cutting down every living thing for fire wood at least.
                            The real "special property" is, unlike photovoltaic, thermal and wind alternative power systems, a solar oven will pay for itself. Only if you use it, of course. If you cook, heat or dehydrate in one the return on investment will be months - not years. These savings will be realized through savings on your airconditioning as well as fuel costs.

A solar oven is more forgiving than conventional ovens. Other than sugary things like brownies or cookies, it's kind of difficult to burn food. This is because moisture is retained (at least in Sunovens).

Do any of you use solar ovens (homemade or premade)?

Comment

• john p
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Oct 2010

Russ..The numerous styles of preparing food have a major affect - the heat source doesn't.
                              If you dont believe there is a difference try first cooking rice on a gas stove then in a dedicated electric rice cooker. The first thing I noticed was the cooked rice looks different. And it does taste different.
                              There is a further difference if cooked in a solar oven..
                              I seriously doubt there is any nutritional difference.. but there are differences in looks and taste.

Comment

Working...