DIY solar panels

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tjames
    • Jul 2013

Apparently that's supposed to help me. I'll noodle on it to divine the wisdom.

Comment

• tjames
      • Jul 2013

I just confirmed with our state's Net Metering department that you can use any method to generate electricity and build it yourself. You are NOT required to buy someone else's panel. No electrician or inspector can dictate otherwise. Code kicks in after the DC-AC conversion, and that of course is very reasonable.

So that makes the man who wrote the PV section of the NEC (IEEE 1547), the power company, and the state regulatory agency who all confirmed without question or hesitation that you can certainly build your own if you choose.

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by tjames
        I just confirmed with our state's Net Metering department that you can use any method to generate electricity and build it yourself. You are NOT required to buy someone else's panel. No electrician or inspector can dictate otherwise. Code kicks in after the DC-AC conversion, and that of course is very reasonable.

So that makes the man who wrote the PV section of the NEC (IEEE 1547), the power company, and the state regulatory agency who all confirmed without question or hesitation that you can certainly build your own if you choose.
        Well I guess there are states and townships that have different rules about pv installations. Since pigs now fly (per that insurance commercial) I guess it is possible.

Just to be safe you should check your insurance policy to see if it is ok to use homemade electrical power generating equipment connected to your house power.

Comment

• green
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2012

I don't have the time right now but I'll find where it says DIY won't fly....like the pigs.

Comment

• tjames
            • Jul 2013

I think it's compelling that the (National) NEC standard IEEE 1547 allows for this. So maybe this is a matter of some state by state ordinance. I have no idea.

You can do this in Michigan. In fact, they encourage it. I found the various government agencies to be extremely forthcoming and helpful.

Comment

• Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

That is pure BS and anyone in the business knows better.

The POCO does not have jurisdiction or say so what so ever period. POCO is regulated by NESC (National Electrical Safety Committee). Home premises wiring falls under NFPA 71 (National Fire Protection Association) NEC (National Electrical Code). The demarc is the electric meter Disconnect Device. Everything before the meter is NESC, everything after the meter is NEC and the AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction) aka as city-county electrical inspector has full authority to approve or disapprove anything and everything on the customer side of the meter. Every licensed electrical contractor or building contractor is painfully aware because anyone who has been in the biz for more than 1 job has been bit in the a$$ and lost many a profit with NEC Article 100

Listed. Equipment, materials, or services included in a list
              published by an organization that is acceptable to the authority
              having jurisdiction
              and concerned with evaluation
              of products or services, that maintains periodic inspection
              of production of listed equipment or materials or periodic
              evaluation of services, and whose listing states that either
              the equipment, material, or service meets appropriate designated
              standards or has been tested and found suitable for
              a specified purpose.

DIY panels are not listed and the POCO has no jurisdiction. All the POCO requires is that the installation before they connect has passed local AHJ inpection. That means the local electrical inspector and NEC codes.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

• tjames
                • Jul 2013

What is the POCO? Power Company?

"...Everything before the meter is NESC, everything after the meter is NEC..." So I'm clear, you are considering the PV array to be before the meter? Meaning that the NEC code is relevant.

Comment

• Sunking
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2010

What is the POCO?
                  I rest my case.

POCO = Power Company
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

• tjames
                    • Jul 2013

And the connections before the meter are governed by the NEC, right?

Comment

• Sunking
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Feb 2010

And the connections before the meter are governed by the NEC, right?
                      House side behind or downstream is NEC. Utility side NESC

Utility has no authority on the load or house side of the meter, and vice versa the city has no authority over the utility. Completely separate entities playing to a completely different set of rules. The demarc is the meter disconnect device.
                      MSEE, PE

Comment

• tjames
                        • Jul 2013

As you pointed out previously, the NEC, Article 690 discusses PV setups. I can't where it specially details any testing standard or UL rating for the panels. Not that I could see. The closest reference to anything they want on the panel itself is:

Photovoltaic Module Module Marking
                        • NEC 690.51
                        • Modules shall be marked with Identification of terminal/lead polarity, maximum OCPD rating, and:
                        1. Open-circuit voltage (VOC)
                        2. Operating voltage (VMP)
                        3. Maximum permissible system voltage
                        4. Operating current (IMP)
                        5. Short-circuit current (ISC)
                        6. Maximum power

No mention of yes or no on the DC source. Just that the calcs have to be on a label.

Comment

• tjames
                          • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Sunking
                          Listed. Equipment, materials, or services included in a list
                          published by an organization that is acceptable to the authority
                          having jurisdiction
                          and concerned with evaluation
                          of products or services, that maintains periodic inspection
                          of production of listed equipment or materials or periodic
                          evaluation of services, and whose listing states that either
                          the equipment, material, or service meets appropriate designated
                          standards or has been tested and found suitable for
                          a specified purpose.
                          May I ask where this quote was found?

Comment

• Sunking
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Feb 2010

May I ask where this quote was found?
                            I already told you, NEC article 100. Copy and pasted directly for NEC chapter 1. 690 is only part of it. All other chapters 1. 2, 3, and 4 apply like definitions, wiring, grounding race ways, cable sizes, etc all apply. 690 or chapter 6 are additional requirements to chapters 1, 2, 3, and 4.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

• green
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2012

As you pointed out previously, the NEC, Article 690 discusses PV setups. I can't where it specially details any testing standard or UL rating for the panels. Not that I could see. The closest reference to anything they want on the panel itself is:

Photovoltaic Module Module Marking
                              • NEC 690.51
                              • Modules shall be marked with Identification of terminal/lead polarity, maximum OCPD rating, and:
                              1. Open-circuit voltage (VOC)
                              2. Operating voltage (VMP)
                              3. Maximum permissible system voltage
                              4. Operating current (IMP)
                              5. Short-circuit current (ISC)
                              6. Maximum power

No mention of yes or no on the DC source. Just that the calcs have to be on a label.
                              I'm just educated guessing here but I'm imagining these measurements are pretty heavily regulated. Maybe it's not required to be done by a third, independent party, but the companies can't lie about output. Now you, measuring with a multimeter and making a nameplate with a Sharpie, isn't going to cut it with most AHJ inspectors.

I still haven't had time to look, but in my POCO's interconnection agreement there is a section about Listed and Non-Listed equipment. It pertains to the whole cogenerating system not just the inverter. Non-Listed equipment must be tested at YOUR expense. Sounds expensive to me.

The part that Sunking brought up about the POCO not having jurisdiction over my side of the meter is news to me. It makes sense though. I don't know how (or if) my POCO does but they sound very strict in the Renwable Energy Cogeneration agreement.

Comment

• Sunking
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Feb 2010

Gren as a general rule what the POCO is looking for is that Green Inspection Tag and paperwork the AHJ issues to the HO. They can also add any other requirements they want, but in my 33 years experience is just repeating what local and National Electrical Codes require. For example if in a rural area without a code enforcement agency, the POCO is going to have requirements and those requirements will mirror NEC.

NESC if for utilities, they are exempt from National Electrical Codes and a separate entity. Basically NESC if for High Voltage which requires a completely different set of rules and safety requirements. NEC mostly pertains to low voltage of 600 volts and less.

A utility in your town or city has a Franchise Contract with the city or township. In a lot of cities about every 10 to 20 years there may be a public vote to grant a FRanchise which is usually a Monopoly Franchise agreement. In return the Utility pays th ecity Big Bucks in the form of excise tax. Once approved the city grants the utility Right-Of-Ways and exempts them from permits, inspections, and any fees associated with construction. NESC sets the rules and regulations for utilities. NESC is the Insurance Underwriter.

So when you want to connect to the utility they want that Green Tag. What it boils down to is responsibility. Customer Site passed inspection means if something blows up or catches fire on the customer side of the meter is not the Utility responsibility It is the City Inspector, Electrician, and Home Owners problem and liability. Or CYA.

Bottom line is neither a local code enforcement agency or utility is not going to allow non listed approved equipment. To much liability and risk involved.
                                MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...