Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1stsolar
    • Jul 2013

DIY solar panels

Newbiee to this forum and to this concept aswell, please post me some usefull info to setup solarpanels
  • 1stsolar
    • Jul 2013

i am even considering to buy a complete system within my budgetary range

Comment

• smithsaiden
      • Jul 2013

Lookiing for Solar pannels?

Hi, I am Aiden Smith these days energy cost and use are increasing more and more, therefore everyone is looking for the product that help to reduce high energy bills. It will be better if we install solar panel kit in home or office. In this way we can save money, energy as well as environment.
      energy savings |energy efficiency

Comment

• russ
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by smithsaiden
        Hi, I am Aiden Smith these days energy cost and use are increasing more and more, therefore everyone is looking for the product that help to reduce high energy bills. It will be better if we install solar panel kit in home or office. In this way we can save money, energy as well as environment.
        Hi Aiden - Sorry to tell you but your story is a line of BS. Some places solar fits and some places it doesn't. Some places solar thermal fit and at others solar PV is better.

My solar water heating system will never pay for itself to be quite truthful.

For most people investing in a solar farm is probably better than having their own installation.
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• CharlesLeof
          • Jul 2013

http://www.popularmechanics.com/scie...r-wind/4317039 will help you to get details about DIY solar panel and the installation process.
          CharlesLeof

Comment

• russ
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by CharlesLeof
            http://www.popularmechanics.com/scie...r-wind/4317039 will help you to get details about DIY solar panel and the installation process.
            Actually it is nothing more than an advertisement for the so called AC panel from one solar firm. It is also totally wrong in most statements.

All requirements to be met with any other panel still are there - same permits, code requirements, racking etc. There are no short cuts and no reduced costs.

In short - the article is blatant BS. You would expect better from Popular Mechanics.
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• CharlesLeof
              • Jul 2013

Hey thanks for correcting Russ. Will definitely search for things in details now.
              CharlesLeof

Comment

• russ
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2009

Originally posted by CharlesLeof
                Hey thanks for correcting Russ. Will definitely search for things in details now.
                It is a neat way (if not true or ethical) for the company to advertise - sounds like they have something different though they have zero that is different, cheaper or new.
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Sunny Solar
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • May 2012

Russ WHY..?My solar water heating system will never pay for itself to be quite truthful.Mine here in Aus would have paid for itself inside 3 yrs.Mine went one time about 18 months before we realized we had not turned the aux heater back on after some maintenance Solar hot water systems and roof collected water into tanks are compulsory for residences and commercial buildings in most cities and towns now here. You get used to seeing the panels on the roofs everywhere that you hardly notice them.

Comment

• russ
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Sunny Solar
                    Russ WHY..?My solar water heating system will never pay for itself to be quite truthful.
                    Full price for an active Schucco system of three panels plus import duty - I could pay for a lot of kWh with what the systems cost.

In Turkey you also see solar thermal on many rooftops - but the simple and cheaper systems.

You see zero PV - with full price plus import duties it is a loser.
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• SunEagle
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

Russ WHY..?My solar water heating system will never pay for itself to be quite truthful.Mine here in Aus would have paid for itself inside 3 yrs.Mine went one time about 18 months before we realized we had not turned the aux heater back on after some maintenance Solar hot water systems and roof collected water into tanks are compulsory for residences and commercial buildings in most cities and towns now here. You get used to seeing the panels on the roofs everywhere that you hardly notice them.
                      I installed a solar water heater system and radiant barrier back in August of 2010. I have seen my electric bill drop between $100 and $150 a month which is lower then the advertised $200 per month but still a respectable savings.

Even with that lower bill I expect my pay back to be longer then 7 years which is acceptable but not great because I do not expect to stay in this house through 2017. Hopefully during that time I have no equipment failures which would extend the payback period even more.

So like russ, my solar heating system my never pay for itself while I'm in the house.

Comment

• Sunny Solar
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • May 2012

150 x 12 x 7 = $12600.. ?? Was that the gold plated version?
                        Mine cost $4600 about 2001 and had govt rebate $1800 .Total $2800.

Todays price same system of 2 panels and 300l tank is $6400 with $2200 of rebates available.. total $4200

Comment

• SunEagle
                          Super Moderator
                          • Oct 2012

150 x 12 x 7 = $12600.. ?? Was that the gold plated version?
                          Mine cost $4600 about 2001 and had govt rebate $1800 .Total $2800.

Todays price same system of 2 panels and 300l tank is $6400 with $2200 of rebates available.. total $4200
                          My total price came to just about $12,800 but included the solar water heater system (40 sq ft panel & 80 gal tank), radiant barrier, AC duct sealing and extra attic insulation. I know I spent too much but got hooked by the promise of almost $200 a month savings.

My bad. I forgot to subtract my Federal rebate which I believe brought the price closer to $8500. So with the average savings per month is closer to $125 so the real savings has just under a 6 year payback.

Comment

• Sunny Solar
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • May 2012

6yr payback aint all bad anyways.
                            But as you have said you bought and had installed more than just a basic solar water heater..
                            Russ it seems is just in the wrong country to get rebates and a decent purchase price.
                            I would find it also would take a much longer time for payback in Philippines where I live a lot of the time,as no rebates there either. There would be if the people in govt found a way to rip off the system for them selves.

Comment

• tjames
                              • Jul 2013

6 year payback is GREAT assuming the life of the system is a lot longer.

Comment

Working...