X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jestronix
    • Nov 2009

Jesses DIY panel

Hi everyone,

Well after lots of reading and dreaming I finally put together a DIY solar panel. Ive been facinated about solar since I was a kid, my parents have run their house on solar for almost 30 years. Their failful old BP 40w module still puts out 2 amps after 30 years.

After looking at a few DIY guides, I wasnt too impressed about the plywood designs, whilst they might work I have my doubts about them even lasting 5 years. So after hunting around some more I can across a site in Nicaragua, they use silcone (sylgard) to ecapsulate their cells. Then I found a few videos on youtube also. This looked like a much better way of weather proofing the cells. Also a lot of the earlier panels were made this way, some lasting 30 years plus.

So I orderd some evergreen string cells, and got to work.

However I whilst I orded the sylgard, it took weeks to arrive, in the meantime I was getting bits like glass and frame together in preperation. I came across some dowcorning silcone in the hardware store, it was electrical grade and non corrosive, it also can handle high temperatures and UV etc.

I came up with the idea of laying down the cells on the glass, then simply using the silicone caulk to seal the cells down. I completely sealed the cells with it, it came out $60 cheaper then sylgard (postage is $35). The result is I have the cells totally sealed in a similar silicone to sylgard, there is no worry about the caulk blocking the sunlight as its only on the sides and behind the cells. There are no bubbles infront of the cells either, a common problem with sylgard.

I was very suprised with the results of the panel, its putting out 3.7 amps and 20.5 volts. This drops to about 3.5 and 19 volts in scorching heat, lying flat on the ground also so no ventilation under the panel doesnt help. So its pretty close to a factory built 60w panel.

As you can see like anyone who has never handled solar cells before, i managed to chip some, unfortunately this effects all cells in the panel and drops the amps down a smidgen.

I have left the panel outside for a few weeks, through a storm and rain, minor hail. I even left it on wet grass in the sun for a few days, the back of the panel was soaked, but not one bit of moisture got into the cells. So im happy so far. I have chosen 5mm glass, after speaking to a guy that sold a lot of glass to a caravan park that used 5mm glass for their hotwater panels, he said they have been through heaps of hail storms with no worries.

Ive managed to pick up 5 second hand glass sheets for $3 a sheet 8mm shelving glass, i suspect its tempered, all up Ive worked out I can build the panels for about $140.

cell sealed with silcone.

I have plans to use one for camping etc and give the rest to my parents for now, they are cheap to make, and Ill be keen to see how they last over time, most of all I get a buzz outta of it !!

being my first panel, it took a lot longer then I thought, next one should be easier.

Im also looking into sealing the cells, then laying down a plastic cover sheet on the back of the cells, this will reduce the need for so much silcone and reduce time and costs. Its just an idea at this stage.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Congrats. Looks like a winner. Let's hope it lasts a long time for you.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Jason
      Administrator
      • Dec 2008

very nice Jesse!

I really appreciate you registering and taking the time to share your project with others.

Welcome to the forum and I look forward to having you around!

Comment

• DeltaFox 25
        Solar Fanatic
        • Oct 2009

That is real good .Congradulation. I have 2 that are wooden and that is before I found a different way to make them . I have 3 now that are aluminum and there are all 36 cells one is a 4x4 and the others are 3x6's . I did use Sylgard
        and I dod get air spaces but I think I have a way to get rid of the air spaces from now on. My next one will be a 6x6 cell's and I will use sylgard also. I have found a good place to buy it at a lower cost.

Keep up the good work Deltafox 25

Comment

• jestronix
          • Nov 2009

Thanks everyone, hopefully I will have some updates after I build the next 5.

I hope run my 2ft marine aquarium during the daylight hours from the panels, 360 watts should do it, at least on those sunny days. I feel bad taking coral and fish from nature, so least I can do is run it off solar and keep a small tank.

Im not planning on having these panels on the roof as they are home made, im planning on building a stand in the yard and having charger, inverter and batteries located in a trailer, then simply feed a weather proof 240v cable in. All ideas at this stage, if not ill simply give the panels to my parents or lend to mates for camping trips etc.

Love this site, lots of great info for DIY and tech info.

cheers

Comment

• jestronix
            • Nov 2009

Hi All,

I thought Id share some updates on my DIY panels.

Ive had them up and running for about 6 weeks. They are still in great shape, and pumping in 3 amps each.

These panels have been through a couple storms, and scorching 40c days, so far theres no moisture in the cells. Also there are no expansion stresses either.

Here are the panels next to some 40watt amorphous panels. Those 40watt panels put 2 amps each in, and my home made 60watt panels are putting in 3 amps each, im pretty happy with them, dont forget,this is 40c and up on a hot tin roof.

Here you can see Ive painted the back of the panels, yep worked out how to paint nicely over silicone. I found a spray paint that likes silicone, and then I do two really thick coats of dulux exterior paint, this stuff expands and contracts and locks out water.

Heres some close shots of the cells, all still in good shape, but hey its only early days,

Im currently working on my next panel which is only has silicone around the cells and over the tin bus, but not on the cells, then I have painted over it.

Ive managed to get these panels down to $130 Australian, which aint bad, even if I get 10 years out of them, its still a good price.

Cheers

Comment

• DeltaFox 25
              Solar Fanatic
              • Oct 2009

Real nice pictures and your cell look real good. Very nice going. I have had my panels outside now for 5 months in cold and hot weather. -20 degrees below to 80 degrees above. Good Going

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

Good photos and documentation will only encourage copy-cats, especially, if the panels work !
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• jestronix
                  • Nov 2009

2 more panels

Hi All,

Ive done another two panels, this time reducing the cost a little.

These guys cost me all up $120 AUD to make. They are 60watt panels but id say are around the 55watt output mark.

As you can see on the back I have used less silicone, only covering the edges and not even the tabbing this time.

I have then painted over it all with two undercoats and a layer of external house paint, good for UV, expansion and weather proofing.

Im going to put these up for a total of 240watts, not bad for 500 bucks or so. However Ill probably leave my DIY panel building at rest for a while, see how they go for another two or three years out in the sun. With solar prices falling daily and prices falling inline with DIY, Id say Ill probably only do more panels for fun. But here in OZ solar still seems to cost a lot, pretty sad for one of the most polluting countries.

Two ideas are in mind for the future.

1. Love to make an oven with vacume and pressure for making eva encapsulated panels.

2. Full silicone sealed back panel with thicker solar cells. Silicone lasts longer then paint

Every two years, Ill probably recoat the back of the panels, cheating a bit, but hey 5 Bucks worth of paint could extend the life a lot more.

I have my doubts about these panels though, I suspect there may be lots of tiny cracks in those fragile string cells, they hide cracks everywhere, over time these will cause heat issues. Second I think the oxygen which is trapped in each cell will oxidize the cells. THird water will get in somewhere.

See how it goes.

Comment

• DeltaFox 25
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Oct 2009

Boy! they are nice. I think you did a great job. After you silicone the backs there is a product out that has a silicone base to it but It's used for roofing , that takes all kind of werther and holds up. I'm making a 72 cell panel then I'm going to use sylgard and after that dries I'm going to put this roofing silicone on it , to see how ling this last.
                    Good work .

Comment

• jestronix
                      • Nov 2009

Thanks Wayne,

Do you know the name of the roofing silicone and the costs? For me Sylgard is just too expensive, it costs me the same as the cells if not more.

I have been thinking about a sylgard bath, where I could dip the entire glass and cells in at once, thus coating every surface with a really really thin layer. It may only be 1mm think, Though Im not sure if it would thin out too much in places, Im going to test some single cells and then weather them for a few years, see how they go. Might make up a 3 cell panel. If I could get 4 or 5 times the coverage, it would make sylgard an economical choice. Im hoping its more like a slime and covers everything nicely.

Wonder if it would give normal thing glass any more strength for hail, as the front would be coated too.

Perhaps a double dip method may work too.

Comment

• DeltaFox 25
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Oct 2009

Sylgard is a real thick substance that flows like honey allmost thicker. I have been buying my sylgard for 3 for $125.44 from cssadmin@spsx.com . The other stuff is EPDM Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer. But i found out that you have to have your cells covered so this stuff does not get on the front. If you did that you would have to use tape to cover each roll between the cell rolls. Then you would have to have a tape that would hold up to heat. The tape is called Kapton Photovotaic Film. Once you put that tape down you can't remove it without destroing your cells.

Comment

• jestronix
                          • Nov 2009

Thats a pretty good deal, when I pop postage to Australia on top its about $40 more expensive, but its still the best price ive seen yet.

Thats quiet promising that its thick like honey, it takes hours to set, so you could let it drain for half hour and then use the sylgard on another panel. Just an idea.

Is the EPDM the roofing stuff?

Comment

• DeltaFox 25
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Oct 2009

I would say you have about one hour or alittle more to use sylgard befor it sets up. It then feels like silicone. The EPDM is a roofing stuff. I was looking into it because somewere I seen that it was clear , Optical cleer , But couldn't really find that part of it.
                            It's sounds like its a rubbery substance that seals real good. I guiss It would be real good for a backing after everything else dried.

Comment

• kermitas
                              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by jestronix
                              Thanks Wayne,

Do you know the name of the roofing silicone and the costs? For me Sylgard is just too expensive, it costs me the same as the cells if not more.

I have been thinking about a sylgard bath, where I could dip the entire glass and cells in at once, thus coating every surface with a really really thin layer. It may only be 1mm think, Though Im not sure if it would thin out too much in places, Im going to test some single cells and then weather them for a few years, see how they go. Might make up a 3 cell panel. If I could get 4 or 5 times the coverage, it would make sylgard an economical choice. Im hoping its more like a slime and covers everything nicely.

Wonder if it would give normal thing glass any more strength for hail, as the front would be coated too.

Perhaps a double dip method may work too.
                              Congratulation Jestronix ! Good work.

I have one question to you : don't you affraid that your wafers will fall off from glass when there will be hot summer and silicone will increase and then it will be cold winter and silicone will decrease a little bit ?

With Sylgard it is proved that it will stick to glass in winter and in summer...

Thanks,
                              Arthur.
                              [SIZE="4"][FONT="Times New Roman"][URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/album.php?u=2109"]My DIY Photo Albums[/URL] : [URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/album.php?albumid=19"]PANEL 1[/URL] , [URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/album.php?albumid=22"]PANEL 2[/URL][/FONT]
                              [/SIZE][SIZE="3"]
                              [COLOR="Blue"]For a lot more photos please see my page [URL="http://www.nazielono.net"][COLOR="Red"]www.nazielono.net[/COLOR][/URL]. It is in Polish but you can use google sites 'translate' button in botton right corner. On my page you can find about 200 high res photos and 30 movies.
                              [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Working...