Tesla Model S ends up getting towed during NY Times test drive.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SKY888
    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by bonaire
    Good in southern climates, sure, but consider Quebec. $5.50/gal of gas and .06/kWh for electricity. The math says they would be good up north too. Some us states like WV and OH have really good electric prices as well. Even with the lower winter mileage, the price per mile beats gas by a factor of two. Leases are very competitive with "normal" cars. Clearwater, as your location says, is a great spot for EVs due to climate and electric costs. Got my volt near there in plant city at Stingray.

Drove my Volt today to 31 miles on the charge, but have seen 48 and 49 miles on a good 72degree day. EPA rating of 35 miles says I'm doing better than the rating on electricity and gasoline where I get 41 to 42 on hwy.
    Wow those volts are very impressive with their battery and mileage.

Plus I like the fact that you guys can still use gasoline just in case the battery has no more charge.

EVs like my Leaf, don't have any back-up just in case we lose charge....lol. Gives LEAF owners some "anxiety" especially with the last couple of battery bars remaining.... lol

Comment

• bonaire
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2012

I'm thinking about leasing a 2013 USA-made Leaf for my wife, if she'll go for it. We have a Schneider 30A EVSE in the garage and it would allow faster charging with the Leaf if she needed to do multi-trips in a day. We also keep a used mini-van in case of "bigger trips" and my son drives it a little bit (he just got slowly-T-boned in my old Mazda6 so that car is gone for good). My wife's Chrysler Sebring convertible (a woman's mid-life crisis car) is really poor on gas mileage and the Leaf may be something new and interesting for her.
      PowerOne 3.6 x 2, 32 SolarWorld 255W mono

Comment

• SKY888
        • Feb 2013

the 2013 Nissan Leaf SL is actually better than the 2012/2011 Nissan Leaf models.

Advantages:
        - longer driving range
        - leather seats
        - efficient heat pump for the heater (good for people in cold climates)
        - 6.6kw on-board charger.

My 2012 Nissan Leaf SL only has a 3.3kw on-board charger. So even with my Aerovironment 6.6-7.2kw home charger, my car still charges on a 3.3kw speed

Plus I think the 2013 models' lease payments are a bit better too!

I just got lucky with my lease, since my leaf was the dealership's 2012 demo car as well as the last unit available. So, I'm almost just paying half the lease price compared to a regular Leaf lease.

a lot of people like the Chevy Volt, since its battery can handle a good amount of miles, plus don't give the driver that "anxiety" effect of running out of battery charge........since Volt got the gasoline to power it after the battery ends.

Comment

• bonaire
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2012

NYT is now saying that the story had some issues and agrees the premise of the article was misleading.

So, chalk one up for the "good guys", Tesla, and to CNN, CNBC and private owners who duplicated the trip without issue.

And now, the new verb "Brodering" or "To Broder" now exists for someone who misuses their EV and gets to call a flat-bed to get towed.

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

NYT is now saying that the story had some issues and agrees the premise of the article was misleading.

So, chalk one up for the "good guys", Tesla, and to CNN, CNBC and private owners who duplicated the trip without issue.

And now, the new verb "Brodering" or "To Broder" now exists for someone who misuses their EV and gets to call a flat-bed to get towed.
            That is good news to hear Tesla may be able to hang around awhile until more people get on the EV band wagon.

As much as I would like to own one I will probably go with a Hybrid to start. Once more charging systems are installed I might look into an EV but that is not in the near future for me right now.

Comment

• bonaire
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2012

The EV bandwagon will be interesting to watch. I expect it to grow but then degrade as people fight over charging spots at the mall or work and too many EVs share a lagging public charging infrastructure. Which is why I bought a Volt. I do charge publically at a certain train station that offers 120V plugs - but there is very little public charging in my area (S. Eastern PA). I've been seeing more Leafs on the road lately with the lower lease prices going on. But I suspect they are home-charged and they drive their 20-30 miles one way to work and back.

I do suspect that 2013 shows a doubling of plug-in sales over 2012. 2012 was triple the sales of 2011. It should keep rolling along like this for a while as the prices come down and people stop being afraid of them (Volt battery fires, what Fox News tells people not to do, etc.)

Comment

• MidOhioValleySolar
                • Feb 2013

EVs and future transpotation

The EV bandwagon will be interesting to watch. I expect it to grow but then degrade as people fight over charging spots at the mall or work and too many EVs share a lagging public charging infrastructure. Which is why I bought a Volt. I do charge publically at a certain train station that offers 120V plugs - but there is very little public charging in my area (S. Eastern PA). I've been seeing more Leafs on the road lately with the lower lease prices going on. But I suspect they are home-charged and they drive their 20-30 miles one way to work and back.

I do suspect that 2013 shows a doubling of plug-in sales over 2012. 2012 was triple the sales of 2011. It should keep rolling along like this for a while as the prices come down and people stop being afraid of them (Volt battery fires, what Fox News tells people not to do, etc.)
                Thanks for the post. Is there reason to assume the public charging infrastructure will lag or is that an opinion?

Lance

Comment

• Naptown
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2011

Originally posted by MidOhioValleySolar
                  Thanks for the post. Is there reason to assume the public charging infrastructure will lag or is that an opinion?

Lance
                  I personally don't think so. Some states have put into law the requirement for charging stations for office buildings, condo's apartment buildings etc.
                  NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• Sunking
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Feb 2010

Only certain states will require them. Problem is who the heck is paying for them? Gas stations were never subsidized.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Naptown
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Sunking
                      Only certain states will require them. Problem is who the heck is paying for them? Gas stations were never subsidized.
                      Your personal tax dollars at work

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

Comment

• SunEagle
                        Super Moderator
                        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Naptown
                        Your personal tax dollars at work
                        Shoot. I was hoping that leprechauns were installing them.

Comment

• Naptown
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by SunEagle
                          Shoot. I was hoping that leprechauns were installing them.
                          They are
                          And pinching your pot of gold while they are at it

Comment

• bonaire
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jul 2012

Lance
                            Past activity helps define future action. Federal tax incentive was taken away for charger installation, but then reintroduced this year. 30% tax credit for installs. But then some installers end up gouging on hourly rates. Some spots in Philadelphia charge $3.75/hour. Nobody will pay that even for 6.6kw rate. In my volt, I would pay $1.00 max. But volts can charge exclusively at home and don't need public.

The thing that may sell more EVs is more at work 120v plugs where a business offers a slight incentive of up to 40 miles of charge to help spurn more EV adoption. They can't install 20 L2 expensive stations for their 20 EV employees. They could do wall plugs as more EVs hit the road. The largest mall in America here, the king of Prussia mall has two free L2 stations. Just two. I don't see them adding dozens more in a few years as more EVs hit the road.

If you saw your coworker with an EV at work and saw high gas prices, you would be more apt to buy an EV if the workplace offered charging. And by EV I also mean volts which are really called EREVs. If a volt driver lives 30 to 40 miles from work, they would much rather charge while at work than get home using gas.

Comment

• bonaire
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jul 2012

Tesla getting lots of coverage lately. They just might survive...

Tesla Motors announced its fourth-quarter and full-year results late yesterday, and offered some good news to the company's shareholders. That would be the projection that Tesla Motors [NSDQ:TSLA] will operate at a profit in the current quarter, which ends March 31. "We expect to be slightly profitable (excluding only non-cash option and warrant-related...

Comment

Working...