X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pranshail
    • Dec 2011

Booming solar energy market in India

Indian Renewable Energy sector is rapidly growing with the share of total capacity rising from 2% in 2003 to around 10% in 2010. Total installed power generation capacity of Renewable Energy in India is around 18 GW (Ministry of Power). India has a vast solar energy potential. About 5,000 trillion kWh/year of energy is incident over India’s land area with most parts receiving 4-7 kWh per sq. m per day.

Mod note - one link was more than adequate
    Last edited by russ; 12-03-2011, 04:46 PM. Reason: removed link
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Cool. How's coal doing there ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• russ
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2009

[QUOTE=pranshail;36990]Indian Renewable Energy sector is rapidly growing with the share of total capacity rising from 2% in 2003 to around 10% in 2010. Total installed power generation capacity of Renewable Energy in India is around 18 GW (Ministry of Power). India has a vast solar energy potential. About 5,000 trillion kWh/year of energy is incident over India
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• vinniethePVtech
        Solar Fanatic
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Mike90250
        Cool. How's coal doing there ?
        I don't think its doing to well. I've been told from a friend of mine that just got done building solar there, that there are rolling black outs on a consistent basis, almost every night he stayed there for 3 weeks. India has a serious energy crisis.

Comment

• pranshail
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by vinniethePVtech
          I don't think its doing to well. I've been told from a friend of mine that just got done building solar there, that there are rolling black outs on a consistent basis, almost every night he stayed there for 3 weeks. India has a serious energy crisis.
          Yes I agree that, still India has 55% cola based power generation (total thermal power generation is around 65%). Please click here to know more about last year actual and anticipated power supply demand statistics of India As per the report published by Central Electricity Authority, it is anticipated that the energy and peaking shortage in the country would be 10.3% and 12.9% respectively in 2011-12.

Yes you are right. I can't avoid to say that, India has serious power deficit. It's due the growing population monster and inefficient government policies. but it's not the only scenario. India has initiated country's firstNational Action Plan von Climate Change and it has eight missions. Out of that eight, National Solar Mission and National Mission on enhanced energy efficiency are under energy domain. India also successfully started Renewable Energy Certificates and it is being operated nationally.
          Last edited by russ; 12-04-2011, 01:19 AM. Reason: removed links

Comment

• john p
            Solar Fanatic
            • Oct 2010

And sadly as India has one of the most corrupt governments in the world,not much gets done with any haste.Way to much of infrastructire money goes into the pockets of greedy govt officials and powerful business interest owned by a handful of multi $ millionaires. As usual the other 999,999,000 of the 1,000,000,000get next to nothing and have the priveledge of living on less than a $1 a day.

Quoting solar energy across the whole country is just as useless as quoting the solar energy that falls on the pacific ocean. How do you cover whole cities with solar panels? and how you store all that generated electricity for nighttime use????? 12v car batteries in thousands of series /paralel strings??

Comment

• pranshail
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by john p
              And sadly as India has one of the most corrupt governments in the world,not much gets done with any haste.Way to much of infrastructire money goes into the pockets of greedy govt officials and powerful business interest owned by a handful of multi $ millionaires. As usual the other 999,999,000 of the 1,000,000,000get next to nothing and have the priveledge of living on less than a $1 a day.

Quoting solar energy across the whole country is just as useless as quoting the solar energy that falls on the pacific ocean. How do you cover whole cities with solar panels? and how you store all that generated electricity for nighttime use????? 12v car batteries in thousands of series /paralel strings??
              It's not about the how government is corrupt in India. I think we are discussing about the energy. And which Government is not corrupt in the world? Do you have loyal government at your place? It's just matter of you understanding. You made you mind to think that the developing countries are not doing anything.

I understand, 10% of renewable electricity in India's electricity mix is not going to prove anything. And also there is no need to prove it, it can be clearly seen as time move ahead. I believe it's always better to have something than nothing and it's also a fact that the share of renewable energy is growing in the country. It doesn't matter whether you believe or not. The fact is the fact.

As far as my first post/discussion concerned, I just mentioned the potential for solar energy and the opportunities to harness it.

Go on positive side (As we have lot of negative sides and we don't want to cherish them)

Comment

• russ
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2009

Don't compare corruption in the Indian government with supposed corruption in much of the developed world - two verydifferent things. John and I are very aware of many of the problems from having lived in various places in Asia.

When some group is holding a hand out for free bucks it is hard to see the good side.

Action Plans always seem to refer to a money transfer from the government to the wealthy.

Clean coal would be valuable there - how to improve that situation?
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• pranshail
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by russ
                  Don't compare corruption in the Indian government with supposed corruption in much of the developed world - two verydifferent things. John and I are very aware of many of the problems from having lived in various places in Asia.

When some group is holding a hand out for free bucks it is hard to see the good side.

Action Plans always seem to refer to a money transfer from the government to the wealthy.

Clean coal would be valuable there - how to improve that situation?

It might be possible you have lot experience in Asian countries. I am living here. I understand, coal is the main source of energy here and it's not a hidden thing as the world knows it. I have already mentioned, Coal has 55% share in India's electricity mix and to solve this problem, India introduced National Solar Mission, National Mission on Enhanced Energy Efficiency, Renewable Energy Certificates and other most valuable schemes. The answer to your question, Clean coal would be valuable there - how to improve that situation? is as I mentioned above. Indian government also wants to be energy secured!

Comment

• russ
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jul 2009

For 15 years I was there in the top management of a very large company. I know the games that go on as well as anyone and far better than most natives I believe from seeing them in action.

The high ash coal is a major pollutant - it could stand improving. Forget energy independence - not gonna happen with any current technology - not enough area for solar panels in the country - and then monsoon season comes.
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• pranshail
                      • Dec 2011

For 15 years I was there in the top management of a very large company. I know the games that go on as well as anyone and far better than most natives I believe from seeing them in action.

The high ash coal is a major pollutant - it could stand improving. Forget energy independence - not gonna happen with any current technology - not enough area for solar panels in the country - and then monsoon season comes.
                      I don't understand, why are you taking it on other way. I appreciate your view on the current situation in the country. Even I am saying the same things and support your views in some extent. I am just saying that the country has energy deficiency and we are trying to overcome this problem through introduction of Renewable energy. I never said RE can solely bring energy security in the country but it can contribute positively.

As far as space for solar panels in the country concerned, India has 17% wasteland of it's total geographical area and the only monsoon cannot affect it's productivity. If the solar energy contribution increases more than current scenario in the country, I'll consider it as an achievement.

You are right that action speaks louder than the words and you will see it in near future.

Comment

• russ
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by pranshail
                        I don't understand, why are you taking it on other way. I appreciate your view on the current situation in the country. Even I am saying the same things and support your views in some extent. I am just saying that the country has energy deficiency and we are trying to overcome this problem through introduction of Renewable energy. I never said RE can solely bring energy security in the country but it can contribute positively.

As far as space for solar panels in the country concerned, India has 17% wasteland of it's total geographical area and the only monsoon cannot affect it's productivity. If the solar energy contribution increases more than current scenario in the country, I'll consider it as an achievement.

You are right that action speaks louder than the words and you will see it in near future.
                        What I am saying is that for a country the size of India the solar power generation scheme is about like peeing on a forest fies and buying beer so you can pee more - good intentions amybe but - - -

To place the panels in the wasteland areas would require major grid extensions - major investment again. The monsoon will affect the productivity of any solar system - to suggest otherwise is a bit strange.

There are too many living in poverty to go on wild goose chases spending large amounts on items that really help the people that are already well off the bottom rung of the ladder. What about clean water and medical care for the lowest segment of society?

A major problem with building power plants there is obtaining all the permissions, permits, PPA etc. The state owned plants built cost far more than they should for a variety of reasons - far more.
                        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• pranshail
                          • Dec 2011

What I am saying is that for a country the size of India the solar power generation scheme is about like peeing on a forest fies and buying beer so you can pee more - good intentions amybe but - - -

To place the panels in the wasteland areas would require major grid extensions - major investment again. The monsoon will affect the productivity of any solar system - to suggest otherwise is a bit strange.

There are too many living in poverty to go on wild goose chases spending large amounts on items that really help the people that are already well off the bottom rung of the ladder. What about clean water and medical care for the lowest segment of society?

A major problem with building power plants there is obtaining all the permissions, permits, PPA etc. The state owned plants built cost far more than they should for a variety of reasons - far more.
                          It's true that the grid play an important role for the solar power plants then what about off grid solar systems where India is seriously looking for? Indian remote villages still don't have access to the grid and off grid solar power system can help these people to power their homes. In fact I am from a small village of India (At presently moved in the city for job) and many of people in my place are using solar lanterns, solar water pumps and torches for their domestic use. Even I have a solar mobile charger. I use it when the power is not there. Indian people still have many serious problems like water, sanitation , medical needs and government is also trying to eradicate these evils from the society. I understand, we have corrupt politicians. Things need time to be better. The time will come when we will have control over the growing population and corruption.

I think we should stop here. I don't want to spend my valuable time here.

Thanks for the discussion.

Comment

• manishkhare
                            • Sep 2011

Hello

Thanks for your views.

India is a country where things move bottom up. One needs to understand Indian villages/cities/metros from bottom to know things-in-waiting at top. Birds eye view of India is misleading. No offence to anyone, but even person like me who is born and brought up in a tiny village of India can not predict lot of things about my country.

Due to unique nature of India, it always has, and had, unique solutions for its problems; be it Indian way of independence, democracy, food sufficiency, milk revolution or IT; the list goes on. None of these activities are copy from anywhere. We failed miserably whenever copied the models, however successfull they may be.

I think India will find it's own way in energy sufficienfy with its decentralized model of energy generation, rather than currently followed power plant model. Solar rooftop, micro wind and biomass/biogass is where India's future belongs.

Again, whether my assessment is right or wrong, India will find its own way to its problems in its patently unique way.

Thanks and regards,
                            Manish Khare

Comment

• russ
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jul 2009

Villages where no there is no grid connection are an application for solar. Then there comes the maintenance problem.
                              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...