X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SamirD
    • Oct 2023

Originally posted by SunEagle

Hard to tell. What does the manufacturer state about hail damage
    Don't know since finding out any tech specs on the Tesla products was impossible when we looked at the system a few years ago when the epa rebates were on.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by SamirD

Don't know since finding out any tech specs on the Tesla products was impossible when we looked at the system a few years ago when the epa rebates were on.
      I know that other solar shingle manufactures provide hail damage details

Comment

• SamirD
        • Oct 2023

Originally posted by SunEagle

I know that other solar shingle manufactures provide hail damage details
        Yep--they provide a lot more details on the product.

Comment

• Rade
          • Aug 2023

This is a regional thing. We looked at Tesla and the Tesla Powerwall for our home here in RI, and they really do not have a support footprint here, and of those who went with Tesla, not a very good reputation. That said, Marques Brownlee; Vlogger based in the Metro NYC region, is all in on Tesla and has a wonderful YouTube video about his experience with it. Well worth a look!

Rade Radosevich-Slay
          Tiverton, RI

Comment

• Calsun
            • Oct 2022

The cost of the Tesla powerwall is roughly the same cost as adding a standby generator. With the Powerwall you will have up to two days of power for the house. With a standby generator you have power forever.

I would recommend getting an inverter like the Solis 5 that can be used with batteries and then add them later. Battery prices are continuing to drop and nothing gained by installing them now.

The dealers love the Powerwall as it more than doubles the cost of the project and doubles the dealer's profit.

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Calsun
              The cost of the Tesla powerwall is roughly the same cost as adding a standby generator. With the Powerwall you will have up to two days of power for the house. With a standby generator you have power forever.

I would recommend getting an inverter like the Solis 5 that can be used with batteries and then add them later. Battery prices are continuing to drop and nothing gained by installing them now.

The dealers love the Powerwall as it more than doubles the cost of the project and doubles the dealer's profit.
              Based on what I know is that unless the battery system is rated for at least 70kwh it won't last a day at my house but with my 12kw generator and bottled gas it will power my whole house for a few days.

Comment

• GoingElectric
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jun 2022

Originally posted by SamirD
                I wouldn't expect them to deal with large hail too well, but would even the pea size hurt them? That seems to be getting more common in their area unfortunately.
                There is video of someone hitting Tesla shingle with hammer, no break.
                But unless aesthetics are paramount, a panel is more efficient, are just as resilant.

Comment

• Calsun
                  • Oct 2022

If hail actually was a problem with solar panels there would be thousands of reports of broken panels in places like Texas where severe hail storms are routine.

Comment

• Rade
                    • Aug 2023

Originally posted by Calsun
                    If hail actually was a problem with solar panels there would be thousands of reports of broken panels in places like Texas where severe hail storms are routine.
                    I had thought about that but here in Rhode Island, hail is not so much of a problem. I am more concerned about the rapid buildup of ice.
                    Rade Radosevich-Slay
                    Tiverton, RI

Comment

• SamirD
                      • Oct 2023

Originally posted by GoingElectric

There is video of someone hitting Tesla shingle with hammer, no break.
                      But unless aesthetics are paramount, a panel is more efficient, are just as resilant.
                      Interesting. My main idea for using shingles is that the roof has a lot of different angles and is pretty big so grabbing more sun might make sense via shingles vs panels.

Comment

• bcroe
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Rade
                        I had thought about that but here in Rhode Island, hail is not so much of a problem. I am more concerned about the rapid buildup of ice.
                        In 10 winters this ground mount PV array has seen a few ice
                        storms. None have done any damage, but only better weather
                        can remove the ice and restore generation level. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Henry V
                          • Dec 2023

I am in need of some advice to pass on to my local parish council.

There is a building which has no services but is used as a night stop over by visiting bats. To encourage more bat roosting or even a bat nursery, there is a proposal to heat the existing insulated bat box. This, I am advised, will be via a bar heater requiring 1 kw of power. I have been advised 4no PV panels are required, 2no to each west and east roof slopes, which will provide the power via an inverter. Apparently, when there is little or no sun the bats will cope with this.

Does this sound feasible and, if so, is there someone I could obtain some budget cost from?

Comment

• bcroe
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jan 2012

I know nothing of bats or your weather. But providing 1kW all night
                            would be quite expensive in battery capacity, and would require a lot
                            of solar panels to recharge with short days and long winter night. I
                            would suggest looking into burying a line out to the build, realizing
                            the electric bill could be quite substantial over winter.

Before hand, best to find out how much power would be needed for
                            heat, 1kW sounds like a wild guess. Super insulation could help,
                            except a big flight opening near the top could defeat that. Guess
                            that is why bats like caves. good luck, Bruce Roe

Comment

• SunEagle
                              Super Moderator
                              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by bcroe
                              I know nothing of bats or your weather. But providing 1kW all night
                              would be quite expensive in battery capacity, and would require a lot
                              of solar panels to recharge with short days and long winter night. I
                              would suggest looking into burying a line out to the build, realizing
                              the electric bill could be quite substantial over winter.

Before hand, best to find out how much power would be needed for
                              heat, 1kW sounds like a wild guess. Super insulation could help,
                              except a big flight opening near the top could defeat that. Guess
                              that is why bats like caves. good luck, Bruce Roe
                              I agree. Using batteries and solar to run a heater if very expensive and hard to do considering the replacement cost of the batteries when they no longer provide what is needed.

IMO keeping things warm should use natural insulation and sunlight. Batteries would be the last place I want to explore.

Comment

• bcroe
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Jan 2012

Seems to me T has been promoting the idea that solar energy always
                                needs a battery plant. That is correct when no line source is available.
                                But I see batteries as a huge up front cost, with considerable additional
                                complexity (with its failure modes) and maintenance. The very rare
                                power outages here rarely last long enough to defrost my freezer, and
                                if they do I have plenty of time to start my cheap gen set. Not having
                                instantaneous battery power backup (of extremly limited duration) has
                                saved huge money, allowing me to double my solar energy setup, saving
                                more serious money. So why have batteries? Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...