SunPro Solar

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mjs020294
    • Nov 2021

Unless you experience regular power cuts the battery backup argument is fairly moot. I have been in Florida 21 years and lived through a fair few hurricanes. Our only power outage longer than a couple of hours was just 40 hours. In the last eight years my generator has been used for 47 hours, and that is including the 40 hour outage.

Comment

• no2gates
      • Feb 2022

Originally posted by Mike 134

Curious about those 5 days. Does not sound like long summer days to recharge batteries but short winter days. How many of those days did you have full sun?
      If I remember correctly, we had 3 days of close to full sun.

Comment

• Ampster
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2017

Originally posted by mjs020294
        Unless you experience regular power cuts the battery backup argument is fairly moot........
        Except in different rate or NEM markets batteries become load shifting tools and can provide a hedge against erosion of NEM benefits over time.
        9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• ajzwilli
          • Aug 2020

Originally posted by Mike 134
          Just as an FYI I'm outside Chicago and in the process of getting permits for a self install... My cost before any credits looks to be $1.29/W for a 7.2 KW system. Being a retired electrician I'm able to get prices below what you find on the internet for panels, inverter etc.
          Are you eligible for the IL SREC program via a self-install? The wording generally seems to indicate you would not be eligible, but "install" is not very well defined. If you are able to qualify - you would be money ahead from the SREC payment alone.

Comment

• Mike 134
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2022

Originally posted by ajzwilli

Are you eligible for the IL SREC program via a self-install? The wording generally seems to indicate you would not be eligible, but "install" is not very well defined. If you are able to qualify - you would be money ahead from the SREC payment alone.
            I've already checked and been approved to apply for the Illinois SREC payment. Most "self-installs" are not eligible for the program unless you've completed a United States Dept of Labor approved apprenticeship program (which I have).

Comment

• mjs020294
              • Nov 2021

Originally posted by Ampster

Except in different rate or NEM markets batteries become load shifting tools and can provide a hedge against erosion of NEM benefits over time.
              The discussion was regarding battery backup has an emergency power source. Of course batteries make sense if you have peak rates when the sun goes down or unfavorable NET metering.

Comment

• Ampster
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jun 2017

Originally posted by mjs020294

The discussion was regarding battery backup has an emergency power source. Of course batteries make sense if you have peak rates when the sun goes down or unfavorable NET metering.
                I understand. Since there were discussions in other parts of the thread about batteries being used for energy independence I wanted other readers to see the distinction. I should also note that in some markets rates have been increasing at more than 5% per year and recent increases in natural gas costs could affect the entire country. Certainly those outside the US are also seeing increases.
                9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Working...