No announcement yet.

Tesla solar panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread has gotten somewhat derailed. To report what I found out after Tesla's site visit:

1. They are only using Hanwa Q cells at this point (apparently this is a recent change so some of the reps still think they are using panasonic cells). The rep I spoke to claims that all the capacity at the Buffalo Factory is dedicated to the solar roof which I know is BS, but I didn't feel like arguing with the guy. Brings up the question of what is going on with the Tesla/Panasonic solar partnership if Tesla isn't using their own panels. Maybe they can't make them in the USA using the high quality Panasonic modules cheap enough to get to their new price points.

2. I have decided to go with another installer who is offering me the Panasonic 320 watt panels and SolarEdge inverter/optimizers for $3.10 a watt.

Comment

Originally posted by malba2366 View Post
      This thread has gotten somewhat derailed. To report what I found out after Tesla's site visit:

1. They are only using Hanwa Q cells at this point (apparently this is a recent change so some of the reps still think they are using panasonic cells). The rep I spoke to claims that all the capacity at the Buffalo Factory is dedicated to the solar roof which I know is BS, but I didn't feel like arguing with the guy. Brings up the question of what is going on with the Tesla/Panasonic solar partnership if Tesla isn't using their own panels. Maybe they can't make them in the USA using the high quality Panasonic modules cheap enough to get to their new price points.

2. I have decided to go with another installer who is offering me the Panasonic 320 watt panels and SolarEdge inverter/optimizers for $3.10 a watt.
      You will be better off in the end for avoiding Tesla.

Comment

Tesla bait and switch uTube video.

Please do not post links like that without permission.
        Last edited by SunEagle; 07-02-2020, 10:36 AM.

Comment

[quote=sd tesla;n417212] /quote]

spam

MOD Note: utube link deleted due to possible spam.
          Last edited by SunEagle; 07-02-2020, 10:37 AM.

Comment

I encourage everyone to reread all the 2019 posts in this thread........there's a lot of crow to be eaten........

Comment

Originally posted by DanS26 View Post
              I encourage everyone to reread all the 2019 posts in this thread........there's a lot of crow to be eaten........
              In relation to which subjects covered in the thread ?

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

In relation to which subjects covered in the thread ?
                For starters, I would suggest the title of the thread.
                9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Ampster View Post

For starters, I would suggest the title of the thread.
                  Because there seems several things discussed in the thread, as well as several posters who seemed to be expressing some less than favorable options about at least some of those topics, I was seeking a bit more definition of what Dan was referring to. I wasn't looking for your input or anyone else's for that matter as to what Dan might be trying to say.

Comment

Because there seems several things discussed in the thread, as well as several posters who seemed to be expressing some less than favorable options about at least some of those topics, I was seeking a bit more definition of what Dan was referring to. I wasn't looking for your input or anyone else's for that matter as to what Dan might be trying to say.
                    I agree with JPM. I would like more clarification on Dan's comment. I am not sure who is eating Crow.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

I agree with JPM. I would like more clarification on Dan's comment. I am not sure who is eating Crow.
                      I don't like eating crow, but I've done it when I've screwed up, acknowledged the error, corrected it and moved forward.

On the other hand, and since this is a place to, among other things, express opinions, I don't consider expressing what I'd consider informed opinions that differ from some others' opinions to be a screwup, much less worthy of crow eating.

Comment

Just putting this out there as im considering Tesla even with all the stories. They recently reduced their pricing to the following.

Offerings:
                        Small: 4.08KW is $10,000 upfront ($2.45/W), $7,600 after the federal tax rebate.

Medium: 8.16KW is $16,000 upfront ($1.96/W), $11,840 after the federal tax rebate.

Large: 12.24KW is $23,500 upfront ($1.91/W), $17,390 after the federal tax rebate.

X-Large: 16.32KW is $30,000 upfront ($1.83/W), $22,200 after the federal tax rebate.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
                          ....... I am not sure who is eating Crow.
                          I don't think anybody is going to eat crow. I reread the entire thread and the scepticism from that cast of characters is not going to change. Those are merely opinions that resemble the FUD that the short sellers continue to talk about.
                          I think @DanS26 has unrealistic expectations about the majority of posters on this forum. I know I did. There is not a lot of diversity of thought. There is good advice on a narrow list of subject matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Slowsupratt View Post
                            Just putting this out there as im considering Tesla even with all the stories. They recently reduced their pricing to the following.

Offerings:
                            Small: 4.08KW is $10,000 upfront ($2.45/W), $7,600 after the federal tax rebate.

Medium: 8.16KW is $16,000 upfront ($1.96/W), $11,840 after the federal tax rebate.

Large: 12.24KW is $23,500 upfront ($1.91/W), $17,390 after the federal tax rebate.

X-Large: 16.32KW is $30,000 upfront ($1.83/W), $22,200 after the federal tax rebate.
                            Yes, I'd suggest may or most of us know that. I saw it ~ 10 days/2 weeks ago.

Yugos were cheap too.

Like anything else you buy, you will get what you pay for or less. That happens more often to those uninformed about what they are buying and/or stuck in the first cost syndrome.

My condolences on considering Tesla.

Comment

Originally posted by Ampster View Post
                              I don't think anybody is going to eat crow. I reread the entire thread and the scepticism from that cast of characters is not going to change. Those are merely opinions that resemble the FUD that the short sellers continue to talk about.
                              I think @DanS26 has unrealistic expectations about the majority of posters on this forum. I know I did. There is not a lot of diversity of thought. There is good advice on a narrow list of subject matter.
                              I will, and have if I screw up.

All this just goes to show ya' opinions vary.

A possible corollary: Informed opinions on any subject seem to vary less. The more informed, the less variance.

Maybe that cast of characters as you characterize them, and their opinions says something about Tesla as a solar outfit.

I've seen/reviewed more than a few SolarCity/Tesla jobs and have attempted to deal with them for more than a dozen or so jobs in my HOA. I've related those experiences in prior threads/posts.

FWIW, of about 15+ PV vendors of what I'd consider varying quality for about 130 + installs and counting over the past 13 or so years I've lived here and been associated with the HOA, SolarCity is the only vendor the HOA had to force to remove a rooftop PV system.

From what I think I know and also form my dealings with them, If I was considering PV for my residence, I wouldn't let them on my property.

There are some bottom feeding vendors around here. SolarCity and it's spawn/clone/rename Tesla Solar is, IMO only, about the most unprofessional of all the solar vendors I've dealt with.

What's your direct experience dealing with SolarCity/Tesla ?

Comment

Maybe that cast of characters as you characterize them,.....
                                I was referring to the posters on this thread. The skepticism i was referring to is unique to this Forum.

What's your direct experience dealing with SolarCity/Tesla ?
                                My experience dealing with Tesla employees has been good. The service on the cars has been efficient with no upsell that I always got at regular dealerships. Several of my tenants were SpaceX or Tesla employees and I was impressed with the quality of their education and experience. I had a mediocre experience with a Solar City/Tesla employee while negotiating the assumption of a Solar PPA when my daughter purchased a home in 2017 with a Solar City PPA on that home. I have several friends who have purchased Tesla Powerwalls from third party installers and their experience has been good. My brother installed a Powerwall (third party installer) and solar on an investment property in Mauai and he is very happy.

I have read here and on other forums of botched sales experience with Tesla Solar installations.

Comment

Working...
                                X