Solar backup system vs generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GeorgeF View Post
    ........Suppose the grid is stable, what do you guys think of the most "cost-effective" solution for grid backup of houses with grid of 450-900VA only?
    For ~60 minutes a year, I'd just ignore it. if you had a fancy computer or something extra special, put the device on a UPS. When you get above 4 hours long, then backup becomes more of an issue.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

I agree with Mike. In four hours my freezer doesn't lose more than a degree or two. I can use my phone as a hot spot and I have enough power tool batteries to have enough light to fix a meal and keep my phone charged.
      That being said, our public safety power outages here can last for days, so I have a 10 kWhr battery bank that runs a hybrid inverter. I also have a 5.7 kW grid tie system that can be AC coupled so that it could power the home and charge my EVs enough to get them to a nearby public charging station. I don't know the reliability of the grid in Indonesia, but as mentioned in the earlier comment, the backup strategy should reflect the probabilities.

I don't know how to translate VA into kWhrs. For example, I have a 200 Amp electrical service at 240 volts but 10 kWhrs of battery capacity is enough to get me through the night with some margin of safety until my solar starts producing. I don't normally use anywhere close to the capacity of my panel..
      Last edited by Ampster; 02-13-2020, 01:19 AM.
      9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Ampster View Post
        That being said, our public safety power outages here can last for days, so I have a 10 kWhr battery bank that runs a hybrid inverter. I also have a 5.7 kW grid tie system that can be AC coupled so that it could power the home and charge my EVs enough to get them to a nearby public charging station. I don't know the reliability of the grid in Indonesia, but as mentioned in the earlier comment, the backup strategy should reflect the probabilities.
        If i understood well, you have chosen for the above setup mainly because frequent "blackout" occurs that can last for DAYS....

do you also have a generator standby?
        Last edited by GeorgeF; 02-13-2020, 03:33 AM. Reason: Question ask

Comment

If i understood well, you have chosen for the above setup mainly because frequent "blackout" occurs that can last for DAYS....

do you also have a generator standby?
          Yes, that is correct. So far our blackouts have most often happened during periods of clear weather. Despite all the advice on this forum I have not felt I needed to spend the money on a generator. I do have several back up strategies in the event it is cloudy and my solar panels are not able to charge my batteries. My strategy is unique to my circumstances and I am not suggesting it is the best strategy for everyone.

Comment

Ok, thats great.
            Do you think you need your genny if "blackout" occurs during sun peakhours till the next morning or do you in that case reduce your energy consumption to stay within your design limits (DoD) ?

Comment

Ok, thats great.
              Do you think you need your genny if "blackout" occurs during sun peakhours till the next morning or do you in that case reduce your energy consumption to stay within your design limits (DoD) ?
              I can easily reduce my energy consumption. If a blackout occurs during sun peak hours, I have enough solar capacity.

Comment

Ok, thats great.
                It really depends on the location and the reason for blackouts. In Florida most of our blackouts occur due to bad weather. So we get a lot of rain and clouds that can last for days along with the grid going down. That is the main reason I purchased a 12kw propane/gas generator for about $1100. It will provide just about all the power I need all day for the cost of a bottle of propane at around $25 each. So far we have been lucky not to get those long outages but the chance of a hurricane damaging our grid is still there.

Ampster lives in CA and they have a different set of rules for power purchase from the POCO along with blackouts due to fire hazard.

IMO he has made a good decision to use his EV and the emergency power system. But again everyone has a different reason and financial justification to find the best way to produce power when the grid goes down.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

IMO he has made a good decision to use his EV and the emergency power system. But again everyone has a different reason and financial justification to find the best way to produce power when the grid goes down.
                  EV as backup, Amspter? WOW, that is great.

Imagine one have an EV and is able to charge it free of charge at his work and the distance to his work is not so far. ..........

Comment

Working...
                  X