Clear All
  • ny86yanks
    • Nov 2019

Sun power system issue

Hello

my name is rich and I am on long island

i have a new sunpower system about a year old

my app has said communication issue for a week so I cannot see anything

my box shows a blue light and it is working properly.

a tech came out and said the system is functioning properly and it is connected to the internet

my power happened to go out when the tech was here and said sunpower May blame that. The utility company was doing work on a line down the block so I found it ridiculous he’d even think they’d give me a warranty issue over a power outage

however he said if the pv is the issue it will likely be warranty

has anyone had an issue with their system monitoring? I haven’t been able to see a report in week

he checked each panel in his diagnostic computer and said that I am producing and may just be an app problem
  • ny86yanks
    • Nov 2019

924544D0-83F0-49E0-851C-E6F33C9FF49F.png

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Sunpower's tech people and phone communication has always sucked as long as I've had my system.

But, the online monitoring was, at one time and IMO anyway, first class. First 5 1/2 yrs. of 6 + yrs. on my system, no droputs of any 5 minute data or totals.

About 6+ months ago or so, that all changed. Others here have mentioned similar to what I've experienced in the way of dropouts. The standard pap from S.P. is something like : Don't worry, we're aware that your monitoring is screwed up. We're working on it. So sorry. Then things improve for a few days/a week or so and the problems return.

I can't offer much more than empathy for what may be your situation.

Comment

• ny86yanks
        • Nov 2019

Yea. I’m pretty bummed

the best part was monitoring my production

the tech plugged in his diagnostic machine to the box. System is all green and everything is working as it should.

he said it has to be on sun powers end

he said they may have the pv replaced under warranty

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by ny86yanks
          Yea. I’m pretty bummed

the best part was monitoring my production

the tech plugged in his diagnostic machine to the box. System is all green and everything is working as it should.

he said it has to be on sun powers end

he said they may have the pv replaced under warranty
          I've got my system dialed in pretty good and the system's production is about as I expect it to be. It's the monitoring that's screwed up.

Comment

• ny86yanks
            • Nov 2019

the dealer is saying its probably an issue on sun powers side. yet my coworker has the same system and his monitoring is working fine

I really feel its an issue with the PV...should be replaced under the 10 year warranty

we'll see what happens I don't want to have to take them to court

since November 15th my PV hasn't transmitted any data at all

I have the PVS5x

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

the dealer is saying its probably an issue on sun powers side. yet my coworker has the same system and his monitoring is working fine

I really feel its an issue with the PV...should be replaced under the 10 year warranty

I have the PVS5x
              Before I ran off and demanded a new system, or some possible service of some part(s) of the system, I'd start by reading the POCO meter a couple of times when the sun is shining. If you have a large system relative to your usage, and if a tare reading of the POCO meter over time indicates negative usage, or if the POCO meter shows a negative power level when the sun is shining, meaning more power is being generated and leaving your home than is coming in from the POCO, the system is producing power.

How much power is being produced may be a question, but that's a bit different than assuming because the monitoring is showing no power that the system must be replaced.

Also, assuming you have an inverter with some info available from a screen, and if there are any info on it, you ought to be able to get some info about what's going into the inverter from the array.

My money is on S.P's monitoring being most of the culprit, and the system is probably producing power about as expected. That opinion gets a bit more weight from what the tech who looked at the system came up with.

IMO only, what you see as a PV generating system problem has at least some of its origins in your ignorance of how your PV system works and how to do simple troubleshooting, but that's just my $0.02. More knowledge will make you a better marksman on the troubleshooting target range.

Myself and others here have experienced relatively recent skips/dropouts and other frustrations w/ the Sunpower monitoring system that seem to come/go in a somewhat random fashion similar to what seems to be what you are describing.

I have not seen a change/decrease in expected production from my system, and others here have not mentioned such a decrease that I've read about.

Comment

• weboperations
                • Jan 2020

I have the PVS5x
                did you resolve your issue? I also have a PVS5x and my monitoring has been showing a connection issue since December 13.

SunPower initially told me I have to hire one of their dealers to come figure it out, but now I’m hearing a different story that they are migrating servers on the back end but don’t have any eta for completion.

im able to login with a laptop and see that the monitor is fully internet connected with no issues. I even see it transferring data randomly.

any info would be great.

Comment

• Ampster
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jun 2017

I have a Sunpower system in a home I have rented out. The tenant did not want to connect his Internet connection to the Sunpower box so I have to rely on slow cell communication for updates. The tenant pays utilities in this all electric home so it it not critical for me to be on top of it 24/7. I do get monthly reports.

I am fortunate to have a good relationship with the installer and have had no issues in the two years that the system has been installed.
                  9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• renormalize
                    • Feb 2016

Originally posted by weboperations

did you resolve your issue? I also have a PVS5x and my monitoring has been showing a connection issue since December 13.
                    Interestingly, I had exactly the same problem with my PV Supervisor (PVS5x) failing to report to Sunpower, also starting on Dec. 13. My Supervisor (hardwired via ethernet cable directly to my router) displayed no trouble indications (only the blue power indicator was lit). On-line chat support offered no suggestion beyond performing a system restart (which failed to help).

What ended up fixing it for me was to first pull the ethernet connection to the PVS5x and then wait a few minutes until the red communication-failure indicator started to blink. I then reconnected the ethernet cable and almost immediately the PVS5x was back online reporting to Sunpower, including restoring the missing data from the week it was offline.

And the reporting failure may indeed be due to Sunpower monkeying around with their servers. My guess is that interrupting the ethernet connection forced the PVS5x to reinitialize it's internet communications, thereby reestablishing its link with Sunpower's servers.

Comment

• weboperations
                      • Jan 2020

Originally posted by renormalize

Interestingly, I had exactly the same problem with my PV Supervisor (PVS5x) failing to report to Sunpower, also starting on Dec. 13. My Supervisor (hardwired via ethernet cable directly to my router) displayed no trouble indications (only the blue power indicator was lit). On-line chat support offered no suggestion beyond performing a system restart (which failed to help).

What ended up fixing it for me was to first pull the ethernet connection to the PVS5x and then wait a few minutes until the red communication-failure indicator started to blink. I then reconnected the ethernet cable and almost immediately the PVS5x was back online reporting to Sunpower, including restoring the missing data from the week it was offline.

And the reporting failure may indeed be due to Sunpower monkeying around with their servers. My guess is that interrupting the ethernet connection forced the PVS5x to reinitialize it's internet communications, thereby reestablishing its link with Sunpower's servers.
                      I will give this a try. Thanks

Comment

Working...