Help with Sunny Boy 7.7 commissioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Sunny Boy 7.7 commissioning

Hey there. Just turning on the system for the first time to commission. having a few issues:

1) When I turn it on, I get all three lights (green, red, blue) for about 2 minutes, then they turn off and nothing further happens. The screen reads SMA SOLAR TECHNOLOGY and that is it. If I plug a ethernet cord in, I will get a blue light. The info I have seen says I should get a series of messages after this boot up on the screen.

2) When I use the SMA initiation wizard, I can't get past step three where it asks for country standard. There are no options to select, therefore I can't save and proceed to setup the system. I am wondering if not being able to complete setup is the reason I am getting no info in step 1.

3) Lastly and most concerning is that the inverter seems to reboot itself every 10 minutes or so. There are no error codes or lights, it just reboots and starts up again.

System

7.7 SMA Sunny Boy
    2 - 12 panel strings with TSR4's
    310 watt panels

Did some troubleshooting, here is what I found.

When I turn the DC disconnect on, the volts for the array drop down to 1-2 volts. When the DC is disconnected, the Array is producing around 400 volts. Something in the Sunny Boy is blocking the energy from getting to the inverter when it is turned on. Could it be the TSR4's or the rooftop controller telling the panels not to send energy to the inverter?

Comment

Originally posted by dnbuggy View Post
      Did some troubleshooting, here is what I found.

When I turn the DC disconnect on, the volts for the array drop down to 1-2 volts. When the DC is disconnected, the Array is producing around 400 volts. Something in the Sunny Boy is blocking the energy from getting to the inverter when it is turned on. Could it be the TSR4's or the rooftop controller telling the panels not to send energy to the inverter?
      You need a clip on DC Ampmeter. It sounds like you may have a short that is crashing the Array voltage.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

If you have 2 or more hours available, call up SMA America technical support and get to at least a level 2 tech. Make sure you have all your serial numbers available and your laptop plugged into the inverter and the internet. They will remote connect into your inverter.

Comment

Originally posted by dnbuggy View Post
          Hey there. Just turning on the system for the first time to commission. having a few issues:

1) When I turn it on, I get all three lights (green, red, blue) for about 2 minutes, then they turn off and nothing further happens. The screen reads SMA SOLAR TECHNOLOGY and that is it. If I plug a ethernet cord in, I will get a blue light. The info I have seen says I should get a series of messages after this boot up on the screen.

2) When I use the SMA initiation wizard, I can't get past step three where it asks for country standard. There are no options to select, therefore I can't save and proceed to setup the system. I am wondering if not being able to complete setup is the reason I am getting no info in step 1.

3) Lastly and most concerning is that the inverter seems to reboot itself every 10 minutes or so. There are no error codes or lights, it just reboots and starts up again.

System

7.7 SMA Sunny Boy
          2 - 12 panel strings with TSR4's
          310 watt panels
          What ended up being the problem? I think I am having similar issues.

I am trying to commission my Sunnyboy 7.7 inverter but it keeps restarting every minute. I spent hours troubleshooting with SMA America and they sent me a new communication board. I installed it with no success.

I am getting these same issues plus the inverter is also not displaying a serial number while logged into the web interface. There are also no DC parameters displayed.

Not sure where to go from here.

Josh

Comment

I have a 7.7 before TIGO’s, but would like to help if possible. Did you install this yourself or did you use an installer?SMA tech support does seem to differentiate between customer support and installer support.What level tech support did you get up to?
            What model 7.7 do you have -40 or -41?
            TIGO TS4-R doesn’t completely describe your system.What model TIGO’s are being used? I.e. All TS4-RF or TS4-RS or TS4-RO.
            Can you describe your system?Panels, panels per string, etc.
            Do you have the Secure Power Supply installed?If yes, is it switched off?
            Are you communicating with your inverter using wifi or hard wire Ethernet?
            Have you measured your line voltage leg to ground and leg to leg?
            Can you describe exactly how you are starting up your system and the problems/faults that occur?

Comment

Phil,

I installed the system myself and the model is SB 7.7-1 SP-US-40. I also got to the installer level service and had level 2 login to my computer and then manipulate the web gui.

The system is 28 panels in 3 strings of 10,10,8 with 300 watt per panel. All strings feed into a rapid shut down box which combines it into two channels. Channel A: 354 VDC, Channel B: 286 VDC
              I was also able to probe the same readings at the channel input of the inverter.
              The RSB box functions correctly reducing voltage to 0 VDC when pressing the red button within 10 seconds and the green light comes on. Upon turning the key, voltage returns to normal.
              There is a secure power supply but I have eliminated it from the system for troubleshooting with the same results.
              Computer is directly connected with a Cat5 cable and the IP address was determined by checking the DHCP server.
              I have not measured from leg to ground but I will do that when the sun comes out tomorrow.
              To start the system, I turn the AC switch on and then the DC switch.

All system lights come on and then extinguish within a minute. Then the blue light remains on when the Cat6 cable is plugged in. The display only shows "SMA SOLAR TECHNOLOGY" and never anything else. Connecting to WIFI always fails because it restarts so often. The only way I knew how to get into the web GUI was to check the DHCP server to see what IP was issued.

Once logging in, no Serial number is displayed. I go through the commissioning and cannot get past selecting a country. There is nothing in a drop down. I have tried every browser available and added to trusted sites.
              I have attempted to upload the latest firmware both via web browser and USB with no success. It says it completes but never actually upgrades. I believe it probably restarts before the process can complete.

Also it does not display any DC components inside the web GUI. I suspect their might be a disconnection somewhere in the inverter or the DC switch to turn on the inverter is not working. I plan to see if there is a voltage drop when turning on the DC side to prove this theory.

Any other idea?

Comment

I did not install my system, but I am a retired design and process engineer that watched every aspect of my installation. I can assure you, I asked too many questions...

To be clear, your system is not like the original OP's system with TIGO's. I have the same type system as you with a 9/9/10 panel arrangement and Rapid shutdown box. Two strings into Channel A Rapid Shutdown that are broken back out into back out to inverter channel A and inverter channel B. The third string goes into Rapid shutdown Channel B then into inverter Channel C. This is very important. Make sure you get the channels correct on both ends of the wire.

Since you installed your system, I have to assume you wired up everything correctly. Rapid Shutdown: Did you plug the second five-pole plug into the upper row of the terminal block RSC and place a jumper wire between pins 3 and 4?

When I had issues with my system, I connected an ethernet cable directly between my laptop and inverter.

Can you talk directly to your inverter by typing in the IP address?
                Can you get to the inverter settings page using the installer login?

Also, if the inverter detects an arc fault, it will throw the fault and will lock out the inverter until it is cleared. But first it does an arc fault self check. If that fails, then it won't go past that.

I think you need to get back to basics. Can you even get one string on Channel A Rapid shutdown and channel A inverter working?

Comment

Another thing that I did learn from my install: Hook up the inverter directly to my laptop without access to my home router. If the inverter has access to the internet, it will try to auto update firmware, time zones, etc automatically and you don't want that.

Comment

Originally posted by oregon_phil View Post

To be clear, your system is not like the original OP's system with TIGO's. I have the same type system as you with a 9/9/10 panel arrangement and Rapid shutdown box. Two strings into Channel A Rapid Shutdown that are broken back out into back out to inverter channel A and inverter channel B. The third string goes into Rapid shutdown Channel B then into inverter Channel C. This is very important. Make sure you get the channels correct on both ends of the wire.
                    I am a little confused about this statement. Right now, 2 strings feed into Channel A of the rapid shutdown box and 1 string into Channel B. The rapid shutdown box then feeds both channels down to the inverter so I dont know how to break it out into channel C.

I did install the five-pole plug in the upper row with the jumper in place.
                    I am able to communicate with the inverter by ip address and I can get to the settings with the login. However I have 1 minute to peak around before being disconnected because of the reboot.

I will try to only get Channel A working tomorrow and report back the results.

Comment

nomenclature is confusing because both the rapid shutdown and inverter use A,B, and C. You have the incorrect set up for your panels. each inverter input can only take 10amps and only inverter inputs A & B can be used in parallel mode. For arguments sake, lets say each string puts out 10 amps. Strings 1 & 2 are paralleled into Rapid shutdown output A at 20 amps. you have this plugged into inverter input A which cannot take 20 amps. You need to break your Rapid shutdown output A+ into two wires that go inverter input A+ and inverter input B+. Do the same for the minus wires. My installer used a polaris block inside the inverter to do so.

Then rapid shutdown output B +/- should go to inverter input C +/-..

You actually have two or more issues. Improper parallel string input connections which then causes improper arc fault detection.

Please read the inverter manual on parallel inputs. The inverter will automatically detect parallel strings.

Comment

Working...
                      X