Roof Noises after Installation

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • solsister11
    • Dec 2020

We actually solved the case! My installer had to cut the rails so that essentially I had three separate arrays on my roof. Each of them have an inch or two of space between them - you wouldn't even notice they were broken up unless you were looking for it. That decreased the "lateral tension" and the banging stopped. I actually work in the solar industry for a module manufacturer so can speak the lingo and would be happy to speak with your installer if that would be helpful - even put them in touch with my installer if they need.

Comment

• solsister11
      • Dec 2020

And apologies to all on this thread that I didn't close the loop with everyone after resolution.

Comment

• littleharbor
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2016

Did they add ground cables to tie the separations together?
        2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• ForsythMary
          • Feb 2021

It is possible when the roof is heated, the material reaches high temperatures, as a result of which such a crack formed. When I have repaired the roof, you updated the whole carcass and installed shingles. Masters from city2surfroofing.com.au warned me that, with high temperatures on the street would be heard cracks first few months. This sound formed as a result of how materials react under the influence of high temperatures. It was a little strange, but I quickly got used to this sound, and it completely disappeared in a month.
          Last edited by ForsythMary; 04-29-2021, 03:35 PM.

Comment

• WilliamJsmallwood
            • Dec 2022

Originally posted by solsister11
            We actually solved the case! My installer had to cut the rails so that essentially I had three separate arrays on my roof. Each of them have an inch or two of space between them - you wouldn't even notice they were broken up unless you were looking for it. That decreased the "lateral tension" and the banging stopped. I actually work in the solar industry for a module manufacturer so can speak the lingo and would be happy to speak with your installer if that would be helpful - even put them in touch with my installer if they need.

My installer refuses that these noises exist because of their installation. I dont have hardware to move panels apart to make that room. How much space was needed to eliminate the issue. It sounds like my house it getting hit with golfballs every morning and every night as they cool and heat.
            Last edited by WilliamJsmallwood; 12-19-2022, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Working...