Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WilliamJsmallwood
    replied
    Originally posted by solsister11
    We actually solved the case! My installer had to cut the rails so that essentially I had three separate arrays on my roof. Each of them have an inch or two of space between them - you wouldn't even notice they were broken up unless you were looking for it. That decreased the "lateral tension" and the banging stopped. I actually work in the solar industry for a module manufacturer so can speak the lingo and would be happy to speak with your installer if that would be helpful - even put them in touch with my installer if they need.

My installer refuses that these noises exist because of their installation. I dont have hardware to move panels apart to make that room. How much space was needed to eliminate the issue. It sounds like my house it getting hit with golfballs every morning and every night as they cool and heat.
    Last edited by WilliamJsmallwood; 12-19-2022, 01:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ForsythMary
    replied
    It is possible when the roof is heated, the material reaches high temperatures, as a result of which such a crack formed. When I have repaired the roof, you updated the whole carcass and installed shingles. Masters from city2surfroofing.com.au warned me that, with high temperatures on the street would be heard cracks first few months. This sound formed as a result of how materials react under the influence of high temperatures. It was a little strange, but I quickly got used to this sound, and it completely disappeared in a month.
    Last edited by ForsythMary; 04-29-2021, 03:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• littleharbor
    replied
    Did they add ground cables to tie the separations together?

Leave a comment:

• solsister11
    replied
    And apologies to all on this thread that I didn't close the loop with everyone after resolution.

Leave a comment:

• solsister11
    replied
    We actually solved the case! My installer had to cut the rails so that essentially I had three separate arrays on my roof. Each of them have an inch or two of space between them - you wouldn't even notice they were broken up unless you were looking for it. That decreased the "lateral tension" and the banging stopped. I actually work in the solar industry for a module manufacturer so can speak the lingo and would be happy to speak with your installer if that would be helpful - even put them in touch with my installer if they need.

Leave a comment:

• Ferf11740
    replied
    Hello. New here and just wanted to check in on this post. I’m having a similar problem after solar installation. No noise on roof before solar installation. Now there is noise in the am when warming up and in the pm when cooling down. The noise never really goes away it’s just less noticeable at other times of day and night. The company I used came out and changed all the rails and also tried a different rail system when that failed to work. The problem is better but not gone. Could
    it be the panels, to tight, not tight enough... it’s really frustrating to pay so much money only to have to worry about what is happening. Thanks!!

Leave a comment:

• Mike90250
    replied
    Originally posted by DanS26
    Back the roof mounting bolts out about 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Will relieve the pressure on the roof joists. Start in an area where the noise is most noticeable and work your way across the roof array over a few days or weeks.
    That's going to need to be resealed every time you mess with it

Leave a comment:

• DanS26
    replied
    Originally posted by solsister11
    Thanks Dan. Presumably leaving the modules off during this time period? Have you had success doing this?
    Try to leave the modules on....their weight is adds to the noise problem that you are trying to avoid. Be careful not to break any water sealing,,..if seal is broken then recaulk, etc.

Yes had success with this method with other roof mounted appliances.

Leave a comment:

• solsister11
    replied
    Thanks Dan. Presumably leaving the modules off during this time period? Have you had success doing this?

Leave a comment:

• DanS26
    replied
    Back the roof mounting bolts out about 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Will relieve the pressure on the roof joists. Start in an area where the noise is most noticeable and work your way across the roof array over a few days or weeks.

Leave a comment:

• solarix
    replied
    Just working on a roof can bring out problems in the roof structure. There is a lot of walking around on a roof when doing a solar install and if the roof was not built right, problems can appear. We had a nightmare occur once because believe it or not, the builders did not glue the pipe together for a flat roof drainage system. Just our walking around on the roof loosened it up and the next big rain ended up in the living room! Welcome to house remodeling! This is what business insurance is for....

Leave a comment:

• solsister11
    replied
    Just pinging the group again. Having same issue on my home. No noise prior to install and then immediately thereafter. Have no attic to look from the inside. My installer has been out 3 times to assess - first assuming perhaps some loose wires and wind, then tightened an L foot that they thought might have been the source, then came back and lifted up every other modules to check all the connections. Today, they came back and pulled up all the modules and have left them off. As it turns out, the noise is still happening withOUT the modules/micros. Something related to the racking. I've got an array of 31 modules - 4 rows of 8 in landscape design, with one module removed for a vent. Everyone seems stumped. Been trying to follow patterns of when the noise is happening - seems most frequent in the AM as the sun comes up and then again in the evening after the sun is set, but throughout the night.

Leave a comment:

• Cward0625
    replied
    We have had the same issues with our solar. No roof noise prior to install, now at night the roof creaks and pops. It appears it is due to thermal expansion and the roof cooling in the evening. In the winter we were hearing it in the morning too. We live in Chicago land area so our temperatures have some good variance in a day at times too.

I have not been able to find a solution noted though for this, if anybody has had any resolve would appreciate hearing what that was.

Leave a comment:

• Fordtrucksforever
    replied
    Do you have any type of insulated panels under your shingles? If the noise is mostly happening late morning and less noticeable after the sun goes down is thermal expansion/contraction. If you have any type of polyiso/xps insulated panels, it is because they have been compressed due to the mounting hardware screwed down on roof.

Leave a comment:

• littleharbor
    replied
    Hopefully your house isn't built on sacred burial ground.

Leave a comment:

Working...