No announcement yet.

Roof Noises after Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike90250 that's what I thought too. Although, I would say the noises are more frequent at heat-up and cools down times. That's totally anecdotal, but now that I am getting some feedback here I may actually measure the time between noises. It does appear that the noises are less frequent on cloudy days (days with less temp variation.)

Hoping to find some time to post pics and measurements tomorrow.

J.P.M. The volume of the noises varies from fairly soft- maybe a tree cracking from far away, to loud, a tree cracking when being cut down. Or yes, door slamming is not a bad analogy.

Comment

Originally posted by pneal View Post
      Mike90250 that's what I thought too. Although, I would say the noises are more frequent at heat-up and cools down times. That's totally anecdotal, but now that I am getting some feedback here I may actually measure the time between noises. It does appear that the noises are less frequent on cloudy days (days with less temp variation.)

Hoping to find some time to post pics and measurements tomorrow.

J.P.M. The volume of the noises varies from fairly soft- maybe a tree cracking from far away, to loud, a tree cracking when being cut down. Or yes, door slamming is not a bad analogy.
      More noise would probably indicate more movement and probably from thermal expansion/contraction causing relative motion of some things or some sections/parts of the same component.
      Id sit on the roof on a partly cloudy day and listen up for noises.

Comment

Hey @pneal, did you ever figure this out? We're having a similar problem that's continuing months after installation, and our installers are similarly stumped. They looked up there once and told us it must be a problem with the roof. I am wondering if we do have a less-than-perfect roof situation going on. The previous owners had it redone in 2015, and we're still occasionally finding random screws/nails on the ground around the outside of the house. I used to think whoever did the roof just didn't clean up well, but the fact that we are still finding bits and pieces makes me wonder if the screws/nails are coming out over time.
        Last edited by NancyAF; 02-18-2020, 05:34 PM.

Comment

My roof makes some noise and has no panels. But you have a before and after, so I don't know.
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

As reported in my earlier post above, my roof is wood truss supported with plywood decking, 30# underlayment and cement tile. I figured with the different expansion rates between aluminum racking and the wood roof I would hear some noises as the structure warmed and cooled but it's pretty quiet, even at 5+ years later. My house had its own expansion and contraction noises before and after the install but I've heard those in just about every home I've owned. I'm sure some solar installs will end up with expansion and contraction noises when dissimilar materials are mechanically connected.

Related story...my large screened patio was installed with 10' length dark brown aluminum spline channels using long wood screws every 18" into the painted wood frames. The first few days, when sunlight hit the frames, the expansion force of the warming aluminum eventually overcame to hold down force of the screws and the noise inside the house was so loud it seemed like someone was firing a small handgun in our backyard. It was incredibly loud. I loosened the screws just enough to allow the frames to slip more easily and the noises are now completely gone.
            Dave W. Gilbert AZ
            6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

Hopefully your house isn't built on sacred burial ground.
              2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Do you have any type of insulated panels under your shingles? If the noise is mostly happening late morning and less noticeable after the sun goes down is thermal expansion/contraction. If you have any type of polyiso/xps insulated panels, it is because they have been compressed due to the mounting hardware screwed down on roof.

Comment

We have had the same issues with our solar. No roof noise prior to install, now at night the roof creaks and pops. It appears it is due to thermal expansion and the roof cooling in the evening. In the winter we were hearing it in the morning too. We live in Chicago land area so our temperatures have some good variance in a day at times too.

I have not been able to find a solution noted though for this, if anybody has had any resolve would appreciate hearing what that was.

Comment

Just pinging the group again. Having same issue on my home. No noise prior to install and then immediately thereafter. Have no attic to look from the inside. My installer has been out 3 times to assess - first assuming perhaps some loose wires and wind, then tightened an L foot that they thought might have been the source, then came back and lifted up every other modules to check all the connections. Today, they came back and pulled up all the modules and have left them off. As it turns out, the noise is still happening withOUT the modules/micros. Something related to the racking. I've got an array of 31 modules - 4 rows of 8 in landscape design, with one module removed for a vent. Everyone seems stumped. Been trying to follow patterns of when the noise is happening - seems most frequent in the AM as the sun comes up and then again in the evening after the sun is set, but throughout the night.

Comment

Just working on a roof can bring out problems in the roof structure. There is a lot of walking around on a roof when doing a solar install and if the roof was not built right, problems can appear. We had a nightmare occur once because believe it or not, the builders did not glue the pipe together for a flat roof drainage system. Just our walking around on the roof loosened it up and the next big rain ended up in the living room! Welcome to house remodeling! This is what business insurance is for....
                      BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

Back the roof mounting bolts out about 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Will relieve the pressure on the roof joists. Start in an area where the noise is most noticeable and work your way across the roof array over a few days or weeks.

Comment

Thanks Dan. Presumably leaving the modules off during this time period? Have you had success doing this?

Comment

Originally posted by solsister11 View Post
                            Thanks Dan. Presumably leaving the modules off during this time period? Have you had success doing this?
                            Try to leave the modules on....their weight is adds to the noise problem that you are trying to avoid. Be careful not to break any water sealing,,..if seal is broken then recaulk, etc.

Yes had success with this method with other roof mounted appliances.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS26 View Post
                              Back the roof mounting bolts out about 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Will relieve the pressure on the roof joists. Start in an area where the noise is most noticeable and work your way across the roof array over a few days or weeks.
                              That's going to need to be resealed every time you mess with it
                              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Hello. New here and just wanted to check in on this post. I’m having a similar problem after solar installation. No noise on roof before solar installation. Now there is noise in the am when warming up and in the pm when cooling down. The noise never really goes away it’s just less noticeable at other times of day and night. The company I used came out and changed all the rails and also tried a different rail system when that failed to work. The problem is better but not gone. Could
                                it be the panels, to tight, not tight enough... it’s really frustrating to pay so much money only to have to worry about what is happening. Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
                                X