Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SolarIslander
    • Dec 2015

Slow Speed Propane Gensets

Anyone know of a source for new 1800 rpm propane adaptable gensets in North America / Canada, something less weary-some than the generic 3600 rpm Kohlers etc.? Noise is the prime concern for us, I'll be building a sound insulated generator shed some ways away from our cabin but we have near neighbours.

We are looking for a reliable 8-12 KW genset to support our off grid PV system in the grey winters of the PNW. We have a small inverter propane genset to use for finish charge, but we need something remote start capable for bulk charge and shop use support.

Our neighbour just installed what turned out to be a very noisy 8 KW Kohler - Seems nice on the controls side, but not so great on the mechanical / noise / longevity side.

I've been considering getting a Honda eu7000 and propane / remote start kits, but the eu series are not really prime gen sets (no pressure lube system, small oil pan) and they weren't designed with propane in mind or PV system support. We get propane delivered by barge anyways so LPG is the fuel of choice for us.

If they only still made something like the old Onan JB or JC series gensets - pressure lubed, oil filter, twin cylinder, 1800 rpm, non-plastic working parts ..... lots of folks have these running on propane.
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

I just purchased a 12kw dual fuel DuraMax generator. What I like is that it has an "idle" switch which will throttle the engine based on the load. When there is little load it will reduce the motor speed but keep the 60hz output steady.

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

You can get diesel and a fumigation kit for it. Unmodified, you can add up to 80% of propane to the intake air, and only 20% of the fuel needs to be diesel as ignition pilot. But you need 2 settings. light load and heavy load. too much propane and it wont light off.

Ideas:

Natural Gas and LPG Generators Hardy Diesel offers a variety of reliable natural gas and LPG generators for use in a wide range of applications.

Hi All, I'm in the market for a reliable standby generator for my house (bare minimum of 6kW, but would prefer to have something in the 10kW range), and have begrudgingly decided that propane is the way to go for my situation (I'd much prefer a slow turning diesel genset, but have decided I...
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Paul Land
        Solar Fanatic
        • Nov 2018

Originally posted by SolarIslander
        Anyone know of a source for new 1800 rpm propane adaptable gensets in North America / Canada, something less weary-some than the generic 3600 rpm Kohlers etc.? Noise is the prime concern for us, I'll be building a sound insulated generator shed some ways away from our cabin but we have near neighbours.

We are looking for a reliable 8-12 KW genset to support our off grid PV system in the grey winters of the PNW. We have a small inverter propane genset to use for finish charge, but we need something remote start capable for bulk charge and shop use support.

Our neighbour just installed what turned out to be a very noisy 8 KW Kohler - Seems nice on the controls side, but not so great on the mechanical / noise / longevity side.

I've been considering getting a Honda eu7000 and propane / remote start kits, but the eu series are not really prime gen sets (no pressure lube system, small oil pan) and they weren't designed with propane in mind or PV system support. We get propane delivered by barge anyways so LPG is the fuel of choice for us.

If they only still made something like the old Onan JB or JC series gensets - pressure lubed, oil filter, twin cylinder, 1800 rpm, non-plastic working parts ..... lots of folks have these running on propane.
        I just use an adapted honda motorcycle muffler on my stationary Genny very little sound @ 50ft near zero.Just weld leg bracket to it. does not affect performance. Just sold working w/650 Hrs 1987 Onan 1800. $500.00
        Last edited by Paul Land; 12-23-2018, 01:08 PM.

Comment

• SolarIslander
          • Dec 2015

Thanks Gents - Looks like Kohler's 13EG water cooled 1800 rpm 13 kW unit with a GM four cylinder would be perfect, but it's being discontinued. The other unit from MaineDiesel looks interesting too. There are a few old Onans kicking around on EBay for a lot less $$$ - I wonder how well they would work with a Schneider XW Conext gen start box - the old Onans appear to just have a start ignition toogle switch to kick over the starter motor.

I can see a new antique generator support hobby opening up here ....

Comment

• PNW_Steve
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2014

Hey SolarIslander,

Just a random thought on your application.

I ran across a gent a few years ago that built his own Arduino based auto-start controller for an older generator. It looked pretty straight forward.

As I think about it, I remember that they were talking about taking the product commercial.... Now if I could only remember where I saw it...

Comment

• Paul Land
              Solar Fanatic
              • Nov 2018

Originally posted by PNW_Steve
              Hey SolarIslander,

Just a random thought on your application.

I ran across a gent a few years ago that built his own Arduino based auto-start controller for an older generator. It looked pretty straight forward.

As I think about it, I remember that they were talking about taking the product commercial.... Now if I could only remember where I saw it...
              Why kill your self AGS are cheaper and no BUGS

Comment

• SolarIslander
                • Dec 2015

Thanks Steve

That was a good tip - will have to read up on what Schneider's AGS actually does.

A few links below on Arduino based generator controllers:

hello, i made a simple generator auto start system for my gasoline generator and it worked fine for a while. Now from last two days as soon as the mains not available the generator starts and then shuts off. To me arduino is somehow reseting automatically and it turns off the Switch Relay of the generator shutting down the generator and then attempt to restart it and the process keeps on going. Here is my code it is very simple and works fine on the table but starts to act funny when generator ...

Hello all! I am running a small aquaponic farm, fully automated with my arduino -- relays for pumps, relays for lights and heaters, relays for electric valves, temp sensors, humidity sensors, rain sensors, relays for automatically open and close curtains, motion sensors, pH sensors -- it´s a beautiful system. BUT --- sometimes the utility power goes out -- now, the Arduino is connected to a Pi getting readings every minute, and both are inside a PC case connected to a UPS, so Arduino never act...

Nice thing about propane gensets is no choke required

Merry Christmas

Comment

• SolarIslander
                  • Dec 2015

Paul

Was that why you sold your Onan, to get a more modern gen set with AGS?

- Islanders

Comment

• Paul Land
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Nov 2018

Originally posted by SolarIslander
                    Paul

Was that why you sold your Onan, to get a more modern gen set with AGS?

- Islanders
                    Switched to diesel used same AGS

Comment

• PNW_Steve
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Paul Land

Why kill your self AGS are cheaper and no BUGS
                      The application that I saw was an older generator. The gent was unable to find a commercial solution so he built his own and was happy with it's performance.

Comment

• SolarIslander
                        • Dec 2015

For reference, Schneider AGS Functions below (would probably be quite an Arundino exercise to duplicate all these functions, especially the XANbus functions that respond to signals from inverter/controller/SCP).

I see that there are aftermarket 2 wire interfaces for Honda Eu gensets to adapt to an AGS - wonder if they would work on an Onan slow speed propane genset.

AGS Functions

Generator Starting Triggers The Conext AGS can automatically start a generator in response to:

Comment

• SolarIslander
                          • Dec 2015

system deleted remainder of useful text carefully pasted in .....

Comment

Working...