Slow Speed Propane Gensets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow Speed Propane Gensets

Anyone know of a source for new 1800 rpm propane adaptable gensets in North America / Canada, something less weary-some than the generic 3600 rpm Kohlers etc.? Noise is the prime concern for us, I'll be building a sound insulated generator shed some ways away from our cabin but we have near neighbours.

We are looking for a reliable 8-12 KW genset to support our off grid PV system in the grey winters of the PNW. We have a small inverter propane genset to use for finish charge, but we need something remote start capable for bulk charge and shop use support.

Our neighbour just installed what turned out to be a very noisy 8 KW Kohler - Seems nice on the controls side, but not so great on the mechanical / noise / longevity side.

I've been considering getting a Honda eu7000 and propane / remote start kits, but the eu series are not really prime gen sets (no pressure lube system, small oil pan) and they weren't designed with propane in mind or PV system support. We get propane delivered by barge anyways so LPG is the fuel of choice for us.

If they only still made something like the old Onan JB or JC series gensets - pressure lubed, oil filter, twin cylinder, 1800 rpm, non-plastic working parts ..... lots of folks have these running on propane.

I just purchased a 12kw dual fuel DuraMax generator. What I like is that it has an "idle" switch which will throttle the engine based on the load. When there is little load it will reduce the motor speed but keep the 60hz output steady.

Comment

You can get diesel and a fumigation kit for it. Unmodified, you can add up to 80% of propane to the intake air, and only 20% of the fuel needs to be diesel as ignition pilot. But you need 2 settings. light load and heavy load. too much propane and it wont light off.

Ideas:

https://www.centralmainediesel.com/o....asp?page=GM14
      http://www.hardydiesel.com/propane-generators.html
      https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107140
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by SolarIslander View Post
        Anyone know of a source for new 1800 rpm propane adaptable gensets in North America / Canada, something less weary-some than the generic 3600 rpm Kohlers etc.? Noise is the prime concern for us, I'll be building a sound insulated generator shed some ways away from our cabin but we have near neighbours.

We are looking for a reliable 8-12 KW genset to support our off grid PV system in the grey winters of the PNW. We have a small inverter propane genset to use for finish charge, but we need something remote start capable for bulk charge and shop use support.

Our neighbour just installed what turned out to be a very noisy 8 KW Kohler - Seems nice on the controls side, but not so great on the mechanical / noise / longevity side.

I've been considering getting a Honda eu7000 and propane / remote start kits, but the eu series are not really prime gen sets (no pressure lube system, small oil pan) and they weren't designed with propane in mind or PV system support. We get propane delivered by barge anyways so LPG is the fuel of choice for us.

If they only still made something like the old Onan JB or JC series gensets - pressure lubed, oil filter, twin cylinder, 1800 rpm, non-plastic working parts ..... lots of folks have these running on propane.
        I just use an adapted honda motorcycle muffler on my stationary Genny very little sound @ 50ft near zero.Just weld leg bracket to it. does not affect performance. Just sold working w/650 Hrs 1987 Onan 1800. $500.00
        Last edited by Paul Land; 12-23-2018, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Thanks Gents - Looks like Kohler's 13EG water cooled 1800 rpm 13 kW unit with a GM four cylinder would be perfect, but it's being discontinued. The other unit from MaineDiesel looks interesting too. There are a few old Onans kicking around on EBay for a lot less $$$ - I wonder how well they would work with a Schneider XW Conext gen start box - the old Onans appear to just have a start ignition toogle switch to kick over the starter motor.

I can see a new antique generator support hobby opening up here ....

Comment

Hey SolarIslander,

Just a random thought on your application.

I ran across a gent a few years ago that built his own Arduino based auto-start controller for an older generator. It looked pretty straight forward.

As I think about it, I remember that they were talking about taking the product commercial.... Now if I could only remember where I saw it...

Comment

Originally posted by PNW_Steve View Post
              Hey SolarIslander,

Just a random thought on your application.

I ran across a gent a few years ago that built his own Arduino based auto-start controller for an older generator. It looked pretty straight forward.

As I think about it, I remember that they were talking about taking the product commercial.... Now if I could only remember where I saw it...
              Why kill your self AGS are cheaper and no BUGS

Comment

Thanks Steve

That was a good tip - will have to read up on what Schneider's AGS actually does.

A few links below on Arduino based generator controllers:

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=480275.0

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=395152.0

Nice thing about propane gensets is no choke required

Merry Christmas

Comment

Paul

Was that why you sold your Onan, to get a more modern gen set with AGS?

- Islanders

Comment

Originally posted by SolarIslander View Post
                    Paul

Was that why you sold your Onan, to get a more modern gen set with AGS?

- Islanders
                    Switched to diesel used same AGS

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Land View Post

Why kill your self AGS are cheaper and no BUGS
                      The application that I saw was an older generator. The gent was unable to find a commercial solution so he built his own and was happy with it's performance.

Comment

For reference, Schneider AGS Functions below (would probably be quite an Arundino exercise to duplicate all these functions, especially the XANbus functions that respond to signals from inverter/controller/SCP).

I see that there are aftermarket 2 wire interfaces for Honda Eu gensets to adapt to an AGS - wonder if they would work on an Onan slow speed propane genset.

AGS Functions

Generator Starting Triggers The Conext AGS can automatically start a generator in response to:

Comment

system deleted remainder of useful text carefully pasted in .....

Comment

Working...
                          X