X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jmbergmann
    • Aug 2018

Help with SolarEdge SE7600A inverter

Hello,

I have 2x SolarEdge SE7600A inverters, each with 25 panels attached to them. The system has been up and running without issue for almost 3 years. Recently, one of the inverters stopped generating power. Scrolling through the screens on the inverter and comparing it to my other (working) inverter, all of the screens are identical.

I opened up the DC Disconnect portion of the inverter (lower box) of the non-working unit, and water poured out of it. I believe the installer (now out of business), must have left a cover off of one of the conduit junction boxes on my roof and rain eventually flooded the box shorting out the DC Disconnect.

I tested the DC Disconnect and the wiring and it all tests out ok. I even moved it to my working inverter and that inverter works. All 25x panels are giving out 1 VDC as they should, so I can only believe the issue is with the electronics in the inverter itself.

I opened up the upper portion of the inverter to smell for anything burnt, and to look for any components that may have fried and I can find nothing abnormal at all.

I am wondering if there is some small fuse somewhere in the electronics portion of the inverter that I am not seeing, or if anyone has any suggestions as to what I can look at next, short of having to buy an entire new inverter.

Attached are some pictures for your consideration.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
    Attached Files
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Have you contacted the installer yet ? Bet they'd like to have a look at the problem.

Comment

• jmbergmann
      • Aug 2018

Unfortunately the installer is out of business.... Seems like a common issue these days

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by jmbergmann
        Unfortunately the installer is out of business.... Seems like a common issue these days
        Yes it is. And, not bustin' on you, that sucks.

Maybe others considering PV will take that into account when choosing a vendor and perhaps choose one that's been around since before PV.

Have you contacted SolarEdge yet ?

Comment

• jmbergmann
          • Aug 2018

Originally posted by J.P.M.

Yes it is. And, not bustin' on you, that sucks.

Maybe others considering PV will take that into account when choosing a vendor and perhaps choose one that's been around since before PV.

Have you contacted SolarEdge yet ?
          I contacted them initially, but once water poured out of the bottom box, I figured they'd say "You're on your own, buddy..." -- So that's why I was hoping a SolarEdge expert on here might be able to offer some advice.

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

I just reread your initial post. My apologies for not reading it completely or carefully. By way of explanation but not an excuse for boneheaded behavior, its been a very busy day with too many irons in the fire. Thank you for your forbearance.

Still, SolarEdge may have some suggestions or perhaps a way to salvage an inverter. Or, member Butch may be along directly and have something to offer.
            Last edited by J.P.M.; 08-20-2018, 08:36 PM.

Comment

• jmbergmann
              • Aug 2018

Originally posted by J.P.M.

I just reread your initial post. My apologies for not reading it completely or carefully. By way of explanation but not an excuse for boneheaded behavior, its been a very busy day with too many irons in the fire. Thank you for your forbearance.

Still, SolarEdge may have some suggestions or perhaps a way to salvage an inverter. Or, member Butch may be along directly and have something to offer.
              No worries, my friend. I appreciate your guidance... I will try SolarEdge tech support for sure... And I hope Butch is able to chime in as well!

Comment

• ButchDeal
                Solar Fanatic
                • Apr 2014

. I will try SolarEdge tech support for sure... And I hope Butch is able to chime in as well!
                Deffinitly open a case and get full access to the monitoring.

i would highly suspect more water in the junction box that is shorting things out. The whole install shold be insoected and th wireing in particular for shorts and good connections.

what boltage are you seeing in the strings on the failed down inverter?
                OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• jmbergmann
                  • Aug 2018

Originally posted by ButchDeal

Deffinitly open a case and get full access to the monitoring.

i would highly suspect more water in the junction box that is shorting things out. The whole install shold be insoected and th wireing in particular for shorts and good connections.

what boltage are you seeing in the strings on the failed down inverter?
                  I have two strings coming in, one with 13 panels, and one with 12 panels. I am receiving 13 and 12 volts respectively, as I should be (obviously because of the SolarEdge optimizers only giving out 1 VDC per panel).

I have a case with SolarEdge that I was working on them with before I saw the water, but I figured they won't go any further if it is a user issue... I will contact them tomorrow and see if they are willing to help me further.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Apr 2014

I have two strings coming in, one with 13 panels, and one with 12 panels. I am receiving 13 and 12 volts respectively, as I should be (obviously because of the SolarEdge optimizers only giving out 1 VDC per panel).

I have a case with SolarEdge that I was working on them with before I saw the water, but I figured they won't go any further if it is a user issue... I will contact them tomorrow and see if they are willing to help me further.
                    ok so I was thinking the strings might be shorted with more water but if you are getting 13V and 12V. Though it might still short when they kick up to higher voltage.

one diagnosis you could try is swapping the inverters (or swapping the strings from inverter to inverter) and see if the problem follows the strings or the inverter.

you could take the opertunity to upgrade to the HDWave version :

or the HDWave with EV charger:

OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• jmbergmann
                      • Aug 2018

Originally posted by ButchDeal

ok so I was thinking the strings might be shorted with more water but if you are getting 13V and 12V. Though it might still short when they kick up to higher voltage.

one diagnosis you could try is swapping the inverters (or swapping the strings from inverter to inverter) and see if the problem follows the strings or the inverter.

you could take the opertunity to upgrade to the HDWave version :

or the HDWave with EV charger:

https://www.wholesalesolar.com/99959...arger-inverter
                      Thanks Butch... I thought about doing as you suggested by moving the strings to the other inverter to test, but I figured that since I was getting 1VDC each that they were functioning properly. But if there is a chance that they are shorting when they go to a higher voltage, I will try it.... I would think that if they were shorting at a higher voltage that on the inverter that is not working i'd see some voltage fluctuations, but I see the same (low) DC voltage and it's very consistent.

I will check out that new HD Wave if I do have to replace the inverter... Obviously hoping to not drop another $1500 when I'm still negative ROI on my system being only 2+ years in.

Comment

• NukeEngineer
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Sep 2017

Don't forget to plug your water leak as well. Also, it may not hurt to drill two small weep holes on the bottom of the plastic DC disconnect for future proofing.

If I were you, I'd jumper those strings over to the working inverter (one at a time, and disconnect the other strings from it) to confirm they power up and produce.

If that works, then I'd bypass the DC disconnect and wire a single string to the DC terminals inside the inverter (bottom left), though I don't know if bypassing that torroid choke even for a quick test would be bad.

If that fails, then you're talking board-level issues more than likely and you're better off giving up and getting a repair or replacement.
                        https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?sid=54099

Comment

• jmbergmann
                          • Aug 2018

Originally posted by NukeEngineer
                          Don't forget to plug your water leak as well. Also, it may not hurt to drill two small weep holes on the bottom of the plastic DC disconnect for future proofing.

If I were you, I'd jumper those strings over to the working inverter (one at a time, and disconnect the other strings from it) to confirm they power up and produce.

If that works, then I'd bypass the DC disconnect and wire a single string to the DC terminals inside the inverter (bottom left), though I don't know if bypassing that torroid choke even for a quick test would be bad.

If that fails, then you're talking board-level issues more than likely and you're better off giving up and getting a repair or replacement.
                          Absolutely agree with plugging the hole... And I did think about drilling a couple holes at the bottom as well, just in case what I thought was the leak wasn't... Doesn't rain much in AZ, but when it does, it comes down quick so I wouldn't have time to keep an eye on it and see if water is coming through the conduit before it's too late.

And good suggestion about string by string... I'll try that out today!

Comment

• NukeEngineer
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Sep 2017

Absolutely agree with plugging the hole... And I did think about drilling a couple holes at the bottom as well, just in case what I thought was the leak wasn't... Doesn't rain much in AZ, but when it does, it comes down quick so I wouldn't have time to keep an eye on it and see if water is coming through the conduit before it's too late.

And good suggestion about string by string... I'll try that out today!
                            I suggested all that assuming you know how to do these tests safely. If you don't, then don't proceed.
                            https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?sid=54099

Comment

• jmbergmann
                              • Aug 2018

Originally posted by NukeEngineer

I suggested all that assuming you know how to do these tests safely. If you don't, then don't proceed.
                              Thank you... Yes, I feel confident in doing what you've described...

Comment

Working...