Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Originally posted by B-17
    Have you looked at or used an Ego? It does not require gas and is easy to start and maintain
    Yes, but the battery is the weak point. Cant' begin to match what a half gal of mix can do. . A couple limbs here & there, I use the sawsall, and a couple batteries, but more than that, calls for a real chainsaw. Not just a urban homeowner, I've got 80+ acres of trees to keep thinned out.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Mike90250

Yes, but the battery is the weak point. Cant' begin to match what a half gal of mix can do. . A couple limbs here & there, I use the sawsall, and a couple batteries, but more than that, calls for a real chainsaw. Not just a urban homeowner, I've got 80+ acres of trees to keep thinned out.
      Have you thought about having pet beavers to help thin out them trees.

Comment

• B-17
        • Aug 2016

Anybody that says that the batteries are weak point has not tried a modern battery chainsaw.

Comment

• littleharbor
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2016

Anybody that says that the batteries are weak point has not tried a modern battery chainsaw.
          After you drain the dual battery packs call it beer thirty.
          2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• Mike90250
            • May 2009

I'm not saying it can't cut, but that the cutting time is limited to how many batteries you can afford & carry. A half gallon of fuel cuts more wood than 3 batteries can. I'm also cutting hardwoods, not pine.
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• ButchDeal
              Solar Fanatic
              • Apr 2014

um, might be ok for a homeowner with a few limbs to chop up but cut a few cords of hard wood or try to mill lumber with an alaska mill and you are going to need a truckload of batteries.

I doubt anyone is going to heat their home with wood cut using a battery saw.
              OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• B-17
                • Aug 2016

Try for yourself. Rent, borrow or buy one. The battery lasts as long as a fillup of chain oil. Two Ego 5AH or Milwaukee 12AH batteries and a charger will allow you to cut all day. Try for yourself. I heat with wood and I don

Comment

• ButchDeal
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Apr 2014

Try for yourself. Rent, borrow or buy one. The battery lasts as long as a fillup of chain oil. Two Ego 5AH or Milwaukee 12AH batteries and a charger will allow you to cut all day. Try for yourself. I heat with wood and I don
                  sole heat is wood? It looks like they are positioning this for occasional use situations where a cut is needed in big timbers for framing, lineman work etc. but not for all day wood cutting.
                  I doubt you could get a single slab cut with an Alaska mill setup and with a 16" bar limit, that is going to be small smaller slabs.

so MSRP of $400 gets you a 16" bar (small), one battery, and a charger.
                  Another battery will run you another $200
                  would also need a generator and gas to recharge the batteries.

VS say $300 for an Echo CS400 18" bar

They have claims on the number of cuts but no explanation on the size of the cut. Frankly I often am cutting 30" and larger trees up. Thats pretty much the limit on a 16" bar but I would bet that their cut count specifications are based on something much smaller like 6" to 10" and likely not as hard as maple, Locus or wet as sycamore.

Comment

• emartin00
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2013

I picked up a Husqvarna 40V chain saw on clearance at lowes a couple weeks ago. $150 and it came with a free case. I haven't done a lot of cutting with it, but it will likely replace my gas saw (also only a 16") for the majority of my cutting. I usually burn 2 cords of wood a year, and cut and split it all myself.

Comment

• B-17
                      • Aug 2016

Try one on the hardest wood you can find. You will likely be astonished

Comment

• ButchDeal
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Apr 2014

Try one on the hardest wood you can find. You will likely be astonished
                        I have no doubt it will cut it. the issue is how many cuts before the battery is drained. Hard wood and Hard WET wood like Sycamore are going to drain that battery fast. Not to mention my trees are huge. The last maple I cut up was 5.5' in diameter (that is 5 & 1/2 foot ) The sycamores are even bigger. yes I only have an 18" bar but luckily the ones I am dealing with are hollow allowing it to work for the most part and higher up you have to cut it from both sides. many of the limbs are over 3 feet too.

it sounds fine for light cutting or woodwork cutting but when I start up the chainsaw I generally burn a half gallon at least, and no where near an outlet to recharge. This is the most typical use for people cutting firewood and we are talking cordSSS of wood ( that is real cords, 4X4X8 stacked tight ) I bring an extra chain and/or file to sharpen the chain a few times while out too. You don't get that with some "up to 150" cuts, that wouldn't even limb a tree (I cut up the limbs down to 4" too).

here is an example with our 42" lawnmower for perspective. if you go to the other side of the tree you can't see the lawnmower:

IMG_3212-2.jpg

Comment

• emartin00
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by ButchDeal

I have no doubt it will cut it. the issue is how many cuts before the battery is drained. Hard wood and Hard WET wood like Sycamore are going to drain that battery fast. Not to mention my trees are huge. The last maple I cut up was 5.5' in diameter (that is 5 & 1/2 foot ) The sycamores are even bigger. yes I only have an 18" bar but luckily the ones I am dealing with are hollow allowing it to work for the most part and higher up you have to cut it from both sides. many of the limbs are over 3 feet too.

it sounds fine for light cutting or woodwork cutting but when I start up the chainsaw I generally burn a half gallon at least, and no where near an outlet to recharge. This is the most typical use for people cutting firewood and we are talking cordSSS of wood ( that is real cords, 4X4X8 stacked tight ) I bring an extra chain and/or file to sharpen the chain a few times while out too. You don't get that with some "up to 150" cuts, that wouldn't even limb a tree (I cut up the limbs down to 4" too).
                          I would say you aren't exactly the "average homeowner use" scenario...
                          You simply aren't going to find trees like that in many parts of the country.

Comment

• NorthRick
                            • Aug 2015

Even if they are all that B-17 is claiming, I already own 4 fully functional gas chainsaws and all the stuff that goes along with that. I'm not spending money on a battery powered one any time soon as I don't need one.

Comment

Working...