Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oskarr
    • Aug 2018

New chainsaw

I am looking to buy a new chainsaw. In my backyard there are some bad trees on it and I would like to cut them and plant new ones. Does anyone have any experience with chainsaws and can give some tips?
    Last edited by solar pete; 08-20-2018, 06:40 AM.
  • peakbagger
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2010

Assuming you mean a chainsaw, without the right training and equipment cutting trees is very hazardous. Loggers have one of the highest workman's comp rates for a reason. If you are considering buying a saw make sure you buy a set of Kevlar chainsaw chaps and a cutting helmet. There rarely is a minor accident with a chainsaw, usually a grievous injury and on occasion death. A quick search for chainsaw injury images is pretty sobering. Ideally take a course and get certified to use one correctly.

If you do decide to buy a saw, there are two types, throwaway homeowner saws or pro saws. A pro saw can become a throwaway if you don't treat them right, A homeowner saw will get the job done but don't expect a long life. With the advent of ethanol gas, many saws are worthless if they sit for several months with gas in them as the ethanol gums up the carb. You do need to learn to sharpen a chain or plan on buying several and get used to paying someone to do it for you. A dull chain makes a saw even more dangerous and if you get the tip in the dirt (which is really easy to do) it gets dull quick.

The other big aspect is the actual cutting. Trees weigh a lot and if you don't know how to cut them they can kill or seriously injure you plus do a lot of property damage.

They are great tools, I have used them for years but I am careful and aware of my limitations, those who don't including the morons on the various cable TV shows end up getting hurt. Remember just because some moron on video or TV show gets away with stupid stuff doesn't mean you can. Even with the right gear I have been hit on my helmet on occasion by dead branches that would most likely been serious if I didn't have one on. I have managed to avoid catching my chainsaw chaps with a chain but know many folks with a old pair hanging on the wall with a big slash across them. $100 bucks for new pair is heck of a lot cheaper then a trip to the hospital.

Realistically if you aren't planning to use a saw long term, pay someone to do it. I heat with wood and have a wood lot so I use mine every few months.

Comment

• solar pete
      Administrator
      • May 2014

Ok whoops, i was doing a spelling mistake oskars post and then seen you already replied, sorry about that....carry on, welcome oskar

Comment

• emartin00
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

If you are just looking to cut a few trees, one of the homeowner grade saws will do the job just fine. I have a homeline that my dad has had for 15+ years. I bought him a new Husquavarna a couple years ago, so the homeline became mine. With a sharp chain, just about any saw will cut well.
        Depending on how much you need to cut, you may also want to look at a battery saw. Some of the new high power battery saws are supposed to be really close competition to smaller gas saws.

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Get some training and experience first. If you go out and buy a good Stihl Chainsaw and try to cut down some trees with no experience is not going to end well for you. Anything from cutting of an appendage, to fatal injury.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Sunking
            Get some training and experience first. If you go out and buy a good Stihl Chainsaw and try to cut down some trees with no experience is not going to end well for you. Anything from cutting of an appendage, to fatal injury.
            I own a Stihl MS 250 and it is a work horse. But you have to pay attention or it will kick back and bite you.

Comment

• azdave
              • Oct 2014

Why would someone join this forum and in their very first post only ask about chainsaws?
              Dave W. Gilbert AZ
              6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

• J.P.M.
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by azdave
                Why would someone join this forum and in their very first post only ask about chainsaws?
                Perhaps using the same logic that makes folks ask about building batteries, another loosely related subject to the sign over the door.

Comment

• bcroe
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jan 2012

Originally posted by azdave
                  Sometimes a chainsaw is useful in increasing KWH production. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Mike90250
                    • May 2009

For the small stuff, I use a forestry 8" blade in the battery op Sawsall. no fumes
                    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• B-17
                      • Aug 2016

Ego or Milwaukee. They will make you wonder why anyone would want to use a two cycle engine anymore

Comment

• BoloMKXXVIII
                        • Jun 2018

The safety issue is real. Beyond that, it is just another engine to maintain. If you are in the solar game you probably already have a generator to maintain along with at least one car/truck. The thing about maintaining a chainsaw is most homeowners only use one on a rare occasion. How many people use a product like TruFuel or buy recreational (no alcohol) gas and mix it with oil, then completely drain the saw when done and lubricate it before it gets put back in storage? Even then, fuel lines and primer bulbs have a way of decomposing and only show that they are bad the next time you go to use the saw. I agree with many others here, pay someone else to cut the trees. Make sure they have insurance. Not just for themselves, but in case they drop a tree on someone else or damage someone else's property.

Comment

• NorthRick
                          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by B-17
                          Ego or Milwaukee. They will make you wonder why anyone would want to use a two cycle engine anymore
                          Heresy! Chainsaws are supposed to be 2-cycle.

Comment

• Mike90250
                            • May 2009

Both my 16 & 34" saws are 2 cycle, and I use aviation gas in them. best stuff
                            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• B-17
                              • Aug 2016

Have you looked at or used an Ego? It does not require gas and is easy to start and maintain

Comment

Working...