Joe Nall 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Nall 2018

Absolutely nothing to do with Solar. All week is Joe Nall week in South Caroline at Triple Tree Aerodome. It is the largest RC expo in the world. I am here with a friend of mine camping out for a week in an RV. I fly 3D RC planes, participating, and learning tricks of the trade. Having a great time. No videos yet from this year, started Friday and runs through next week and ends Sunday. Anyway one of the best 3D pilots named Martin Pickering just put on a show with his 3D plane. I did find a video of him last year. If you do not know what 3D Flying is all about, watch and enjoy. Just do not get on any airline that has the word 3D in the name.Something like "Wish You Were Here Puke 3D" Enjoy:

MSEE, PE

Dang. I missed it again. Have a good time flying SK

I have been so busy lately I even missed Top Gun in Lakeland this year.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
      Dang. I missed it again. Have a good time flying SK
      Yeah you did. Tried to drag you there last year. Would have asked you this year but I was not sure if I was going to go this year or not up until about a month ago. So make plans for next year and get your RV ready and throw plane together. All categories are there from helicopters to sailplanes. Great time to shop, every vendor is there with great prices. Only trick is no walk-ons and closed to the public. So make your reservations early or know a pilot to get you in. I can get you in for a day if you want to come on up. You know how to find me and looks like a 5-hour drive maybe?

Having a great time. weather is perfect.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Joe Nall is an excellent show. Have a blast. I used to attend the R/C electric-power only events like SEFF and the NEAT Fair for many years as a demo pilot for Hacker Brushless and Aero-Model. It's hard to keep up with the kids when it comes to 3D skills.
        Dave W. Gilbert AZ
        6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

I always wanted to go to the Joe Nall ... never made it. Have 15 or so Electric RCs hanging in the "hanger". I've been doing electric RC before it was "cool". All I ever did ... no fuel planes. We used to use geared "buggy" motors to power 5' + wing span planes with Sub C batteries and would love to watch the fuel pilots stand there with their mouths hanging open that they electrics actually flew.
          285Wx9 / MNClassic 150 / CSW4024 / TrojanL16H-ACx4

Comment

What's different about the 3D airplanes? Is it just control travel and big engines, or is there more to it? Are they built lighter?

Comment

Originally posted by sdold View Post
              What's different about the 3D airplanes? Is it just control travel and big engines, or is there more to it? Are they built lighter?
              Basically all thee above. The hallmarks seem to be large control surfaces, and the ability/power to sustain a "hover" of the craft. Building it lighter would be a factor, because you would need less power. But not a requirement. Back in pre 2004, the ability to "hover" a craft was the definition of 3D. I have video of me hovering in my living room with a foam model. (all be it not very well)
              285Wx9 / MNClassic 150 / CSW4024 / TrojanL16H-ACx4

Comment

Exactly.
                • Thrust to weight ration exceeds 1:1, typically 2:1.
                • Mid wing symmetrical design with a lot of drag.
                • Great big control surfaces with huge throws of 45 degrees or more.
                • Construction varies from foamies to Balsa/Carbon Fiber composite designs. The structures are actually much stronger because of the G-Forces. Example a tumble can pull 20-G's on the air frames.

The real key is power, high drag, strength, and wing loading. 3D planes have extremely lite wing loading to perform maneuvers like an elevator. Look at the two videos below. First video is EXTREME 3D called a Tumble, second is a extremely slow and easy maneuver called an Elevator. Basically 3D flight is Post Stall maneuvers. You use prop wash to control the plane or inertia to throw it out of control.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by azdave View Post
                  It's hard to keep up with the kids when it comes to 3D skills.
                  That is no lie. This kid Deano is here teaching old dogs new tricks.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Steve if you think 3D planes are extreme. Watch a 3D Head Chopper Offer. Imagine setting in the passenger seat. Copy the URL and watch it in full screen. Adds a whole new meaning to mowing grass. Its a fricking kid flying.When these guys fly, I hide behind steel post. This is a small model, they get much larger and a pro a few years ago decapitated himself in Central Park NYC a few years ago during a demo with his Father and crowd watching.

Last edited by Sunking; 05-14-2018, 01:55 PM.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

That helicopter is unbelievable.

Comment

That helicopter is unbelievable.
                        It moves like you 'd expect a UFO to move. I see why Sunking said he watches from behind a steel post.
                        2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Joe Nall event just cancelled due to expected rain and storms?

After more than three decades of spectacular weather during the world-famous Joe Nall RC event, the forecast for the remainder of the week has forced the board to make the decision to cancel the event and have everyone off the beautiful Triple Tree grounds not later than noon, Tuesday, May 15. This is a very difficult decision and one that was taken only after carefully considering our guests safety. As many of you are aware, Triple Tree is over four hundred acres of beautifully manicured grass that can easily handle single, short-lived rain storms however, rain totals of 4-6 inches is forecast beginning Tuesday afternoon. The rain is not expected to end until sometime after the following Monday. With this amount of water, the camping areas and roads will quickly become impassible. Sudden, heavy rain events could also cause localized flooding in the river area.
                          Dave W. Gilbert AZ
                          6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

Yeah it sucks, but no one is leaving today and no event for today has been cancelled. Not a drop of rain so far and mostly sunny skies. If you look at the forecast rain chances do not even start until Wednesday. No happy campers around here today. I can live with it, got 4 days in. Glad I do not drink anymore. Drinking beer seems to be the theme of the day trying to drink 5 days worth in a day rather than take it on the road.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

As I sit here and pout about the event being canceled for foretasted rain that is two days, I cannot help to think what strange creatures we humans are. No offense to those who like to fly warbirds, sail planes, water aircraft, and such aircraft, but a spectator event they are not. Taking off making circles and landing is not much fun to watch more than once. Kind of like baseball games. . The crowd getters are the 3D aircraft, pylon and droid racers, and really fast jets. Reason is simple, because you are going to see some spectacular crashes like a train wreck or multi-pileup crash on an Interstate. Nothing like seeing a +$20k dollar jet nose in at 200 mph and seeing a man cry who spent over 1000 hours building it. Even better is two expensive helicopters colliding in mid air, twist and turn, crash and burn.

Anyway back to the show. Still have the day left to see mayhem, panic, destruction, and chaos.
                              Last edited by Sunking; 05-14-2018, 05:01 PM.
                              MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
                              X