X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by AzRoute66
    I love this thread. I always go to the plots first then guess what the discussion will be. Not doing as well as I would have hoped. Once I read the discussion I go back to the plots and say 'of course it is'. I'm glad I do not have access to this testbed. I would sit and stare at it like a little kid watching Saturday cartoons. I can't imagine how many things I would stick out the window to produce controlled partial shade. Light from the window? Full moon? Yee-haw.
    I got some paint you can watch dry, or some grass you can watch grow.

Where I live a lot of folks like to watch grass grow. Especially a variety called Panama Red. Looks more purple than red to me.But it is kind of pretty flowers.
    Last edited by Sunking; 07-24-2017, 03:52 PM.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• AzRoute66
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2017

I know you see substrings overcome the bypass diodes every day, but it was new for me.

Comment

• BackwoodsEE
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2017

I know you see substrings overcome the bypass diodes every day, but it was new for me.
        I still get a kick out of seeing the bypass diodes do their thing, and then being able to look out the window and see the shading on the panels.

When I had the real-time capacitor-switching box included in the circuit, my software was set to trigger a new IV sweep whenever the latest voltage and current reading (done once per second) deviated too far from the last IV curve. I could put the plot display on my iPad and then walk in front of the array and see how the IV curve changed from shading in real time. Now that, for a EE geek, was definitely cool to watch. Sort of like a real-life engineering video game.

Comment

• sensij
          Solar Fanatic
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by BackwoodsEE

I still get a kick out of seeing the bypass diodes do their thing, and then being able to look out the window and see the shading on the panels.

When I had the real-time capacitor-switching box included in the circuit, my software was set to trigger a new IV sweep whenever the latest voltage and current reading (done once per second) deviated too far from the last IV curve. I could put the plot display on my iPad and then walk in front of the array and see how the IV curve changed from shading in real time. Now that, for a EE geek, was definitely cool to watch. Sort of like a real-life engineering video game.
          The really hard question to answer, then, is how does the Morningstar controller compare to your sweep box, or a truly ideal mppt controller. You've shown us that when it runs a sweep, it correctly identifies the maximum point. Rhetorically, how much power or energy is lost because it doesn't run a sweep every second of every day? One clue might be the difference in power before and after each sweep. A first order estimate of energy lost might be
          Sum throughout the day of [(power change induced by current sweep * time since last sweep) / 2] + [time required to complete current sweep * current power]

The more sweeps that it runs, the more power is lost to the sweeping action (relative to holding at the power point). Interesting optimization problem...
          CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• bcroe
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Sunking
            Where I live a lot of folks like to watch grass grow. Especially a variety called Panama Red.
            I think that is what we in the country did, before there was the ability to monitor
            the output of every panel, every 5 minutes.

Yes the MPPT controllers do their job. The details have been pretty much a trade secret up until now, but
            certainly the methods can be measured. If this catches on, it will be another subject for comparisons. My
            approach might be, frequently iterate a small amount around the latest MPPT point. If power drops,
            immediately iterate in the other direction, expecting first a small rise and eventually a drop. This would not
            take significant power away from normal operation. A full scan could be done rather infrequently, or when
            iteration has tracked a significant drop.

I have had occasions for bypass diodes to operate, but it was from weak sections in a no name panel, not
            shade. I swapped some out to keep the rest at best efficiency. While the shade issue is interesting, its
            regarded as a definite negative here, an opportunity to improve the system. Still trying to find an app to
            keep those orphan panels in useful service. My options are run at full voltage but reduced peak current,
            or short out the bypassed section and put them in series with a full current string. That would cost me
            some mounting hardware, to put 11 panels in a 10 panel string. Bruce Roe

Comment

• littleharbor
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Sunking

Where I live a lot of folks like to watch grass grow. Especially a variety called Panama Red.
              He'll steal your woman, then he'll rob your head.......
              2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• PNPmacnab
                Solar Fanatic
                • Nov 2016

Here is my whole house control panel. It is fun to watch and nothing Micky Mouse about it.
                Attached Files

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

Originally posted by littleharbor

He'll steal your woman, then he'll rob your head.......
                  At least put quotes around that part of the song.

Comment

• littleharbor
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by SunEagle

At least put quotes around that part of the song.
                    I need to figure out how to get those musical note symbols instead of quotation symbols. I don't even know how to get the comic sans font

Comment

• SunEagle
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

I need to figure out how to get those musical note symbols instead of quotation symbols. I don't even know how to get the comic sans font
                      When you make a post there is a button on the right with the capital letter A. Click on that and it brings down a horizontal tool box.

In that group of tools is a big button labeled Font. Click on that and it gives you drop down menu of different font types.

Comment

• littleharbor
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jan 2016

Well that was easy, Thanks SunEagle. I learned something today.

Comment

• SunEagle
                          Super Moderator
                          • Oct 2012

Well that was easy, Thanks SunEagle. I learned something today.
                          You are welcome. Glad to have helped.

Comment

• AzRoute66
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jul 2017

Hope that didn't dead end the thread. Can I get a couple dozen more pictures of panels and MPPT algorithms doing fun things? The paint is dry and the grass needs cutting.

Comment

• BackwoodsEE
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jun 2017

Hope that didn't dead end the thread. Can I get a couple dozen more pictures of panels and MPPT algorithms doing fun things? The paint is dry and the grass needs cutting.
                              Here you go. Battery is about halfway discharged, about 100W inverter load and bulk charging. Hazy sunshine, bright enough to still cast a faint shadow on the ground. The panels are producing at about 25% the highest I've ever seen from them, and the charge controller is taking everything it can get. Capture.PNG

The dots are from real-time IV readings that occur after the MPPT sweep. Note how the voltage stays fixed and the charge controller just draws more or less current from the PV array as the sun brightens and dims. This makes sense, since the MPPT point only decreases slightly in voltage with lower insolation.
                              Last edited by BackwoodsEE; 07-27-2017, 01:04 PM.

Comment

• BackwoodsEE
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Jun 2017

We are in the thick of the smoke from British Columbia's forest fires right now. The max power from my three panels is about half what they'd be capable of in full sun.

Capture.PNG

Comment

Working...