Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • satman49
    • Apr 2017

bypass and blocking diodes

Here is a pic of my junction box showing the diodes.It's a 100 watt panel.My question is: Is the left one a bypass diode and the right one a blocking diode? Could either one cause low power output? diodes.JPG
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

If either has failed then the voltage and current output of that panel would be lower than nameplate rating.

More than likely a failed diode will create an open circuit and isolate a number of the pv cells depending on which one failed.

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

Blocking diodes are seldom. if ever, used in a PV panel. Blocking function is nearly always performed in the Charge Controller

Bypass diodes are often found in the J-box of the panel. They should be a Schottky type of diode, lower loss and heat generation than a plain diode.
      use conventional means to test them
      Last edited by Mike90250; 05-06-2017, 07:14 PM. Reason: Blocking function is nearly always performed in the Charge Controller
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• bcroe
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by satman49
        Here is a pic of my junction box showing the diodes.It's a 100 watt panel.My question is: Is the left one a bypass diode and the right one a blocking diode? Could either one cause low power output?
        I think your panel is divided into 2 sections, and each diode parallels a section, to serve as a bypass if that section
        were shadowed. The diodes should run completely cold in sunny operation, carrying no current. A meter would
        show half the panel output voltage across each. If a blocking diode were in use, it would be in series, not parallel,
        and show something like 1V forward drop when current was output.

If a bypass diode were to open, it would have no effect on sunny operation; an open blocking diode would stop all
        current. A shorted bypass diode would run hot and eliminate about half your panel output voltage. A shorted
        blocking diode wouldn't prevent operation, but would allow back (battery) current at night. Bruce Roe

Comment

• satman49
          • Apr 2017

It's very odd that the Voc and Isc are within specs but under load I can only get about 30 watts out of this 100 watt panel.See my previous post : low solar panel output

Voltage under load is about 14V and 2A current The only thing I can think of might be a COLD solder joint on one or more of the tabbing wires or buss wires.

Comment

• bcroe
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by satman49
            It's very odd that the Voc and Isc are within specs but under load I can only get about 30 watts out of this 100 watt panel.See my previous post : low solar panel output

Voltage under load is about 14V and 2A current The only thing I can think of might be a COLD solder joint on one or more of the tabbing wires or buss wires.
            Since you have access, check for equal voltage UNDER LOAD across the 2 diodes. Might be one section is weak.
            That might not show up on a simple OC/SC test. Bruce Roe

Comment

• satman49
              • Apr 2017

ok thanks - will do tomorrow if sunny

Comment

• satman49
                • Apr 2017

OK It shows 10.6 across each diode, which is about right, but under load I still can't get over 31 watts .I guess I'll just give up on this panel.Anybody want it? May you will have better luck.

Comment

Working...