Need conduit advice. Any help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by badutahboy View Post

I'm responding to this quote again as it's the one that makes sense to respond to here...

I just talked to an electrician buddy of mine, and he told me that I can use the THWN dry rating for my run, as long as I'm using watertight conduit for the entire run. Makes sense to me, and the watertight fittings for 3/4 or 1" EMT are only slightly more expensive than the basic fittings, so that's my plan as of today. I can't find THWN-2 locally. Even the electrical supply stores nearby seem to only stock the Southwire Simpull wire in 10 gauge.
    NEC doesn't agree with that, no exceptions written for "watertightness". Does the shift from 40 A base ampacity (THWN-2) to 35 amp base ampacity (THWN) even matter for you? If you do the calculations for THWN and it comes out OK, then just document the change and calculations in your plans and you should be OK.

300.9 Raceways in Wet Locations Abovegrade.
    Where raceways are installed in wet locations abovegrade, the interior of these raceways shall be considered to be a wet location. Insulated conductors and cables installed in raceways in wet locations abovegrade shall comply with 310.10(C).
    Last edited by sensij; 04-19-2017, 04:54 PM.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Originally posted by sensij View Post

NEC doesn't agree with that, no exceptions written for "watertightness". Does the shift from 40 A base ampacity (THWN-2) to 35 amp base ampacity (THWN) even matter for you? If you do the calculations for THWN and it comes out OK, then just document the change and calculations in your plans and you should be OK.
      Thanks for this response. I just realized I didn't ask for feedback, but that's exactly why I posted it.

I just ran the numbers, and I think I'm okay, but I'm not totally confident I did it right. Would you be willing to review for me and give me feedback if I were to email you my permit package/specs?

Comment

Hopefully you got my email from the subscription notification on the thread.
        Last edited by sensij; 04-20-2017, 01:23 AM.
        CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Originally posted by sensij View Post
          Hopefully you got my email from the subscription notification on the thread.
          Email sent. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X