Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • russ
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2009

Another wise one? If you wish to be here - good and if not then good.

Regards
    Russ
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• johnkimball@sunelec.com
      • Sep 2011

Solar Panel Talk is Awsome

It is clear thru your obsession to keep your site updated and the content on the site itself, that this is the best forum on solar in the world. I am looking forward to participating.

John

Comment

• peakbagger
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2010

I realize that this is packaged software that runs the forum, but it would be great if there was a screen that popped up when someone tries to do a new post that asks "have you used the search function yet to find what you are looking for" and maybe a description of how to use search.

After awhile it does get old seeing the exact same questions posted by new posters. Sure I can spend the time to do a search and then post a link to a prior thread but it does get old.

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

Originally posted by johnkimball@sunelec.com
          It is clear thru your obsession to keep your site updated and the content on the site itself, that this is the best forum on solar in the world. I am looking forward to participating. John
          Welcome John. Thanks for the kudos.
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• ILFE
            Solar Fanatic
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by meridiansolar
            look at these two threads

If you are a homeowner who is about to put a solar panel system on your home or you are a newbie to the solar market, get started here! A non-technical forum to help you understand the in's and out's of solar.

first one a moderator belittles the general newbies and the oldtimers who should know better egg him on.

second one is nothing but a political diatribe that has nothing to do with solar. Every well run forum I've been on bans this kind of childlike behavior.

this forum is totally negative and is full of know it alls.
            Forgive me if I am wrong here. But, I thought that was the reason we were here, to learn from those who know-it-all?
            Paul

Comment

• russ
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2009

Everybody can have varying opinions and ways to do things - that is normal. Everyone is wrong sometimes.

Some people claim that their way is the only way.

You will notice that Meridian Solar is no longer around. Discussion and arguing of points is great but just being obstinate we have no use for.
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• dave_in_delaware
                • Aug 2011

I know your post said to send an email or use the contact link, but I wanted to post this publicly for everyone to see....

I have nothing but positive feedback and kudos to give to this forum and its experts.

When I joined this forum I admitted that I was a noob and had a lot of questions. I did read some threads prior to asking any questions to try to figure some things out on my own, or at least get a clue as to how to ask the right questions. When it came time to post my own threads, I tried asking intelligent questions without wanting to be spoon-fed all the answers.

Everyone who replied to my posts treated me with respect and made me feel welcomed, and they gave me the steps and formulas I needed so I could figure things out on my own. I never felt like a "dumb noob" and I appreciate that very much!

Since joining this forum I know a lot more than I did only a few weeks ago. I know I'll have more questions as I work on my homebuilt RV Project, but I know the people on this forum will have simple and helpful answers for me.

This forum is AWESOME. Keep up the great work! And thank you for what you give back to all of us!
                Dave

Homebuilt RV Project w/ AGM batteries, solar panels, MPPT controller, water pump, fans....

Comment

• ILFE
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Sep 2011

I agree with you, Dave.

In fact, prior to finding this forum, and another focusing primarily on alternative energy in the Philippines, I was going just go out and buy what I "knew" I would need. Since I joined, began reading and learning more about this project of mine, I have learned to apply the brakes, read even more, and learn a LOT more - prior to pulling out the debit card.
                  Paul

Comment

• Jason
                    Administrator
                    • Dec 2008

Updated rules

Based on considerable feedback, we have now amended the rules to the Forum, and any post that:

•is rude or contains personal attacks, including attacking a member’s character, referring to a member in a contemptuous manner, belittling a member using sarcasm or otherwise, making negative or rude statements about administrators or moderators

will be subject to removal. We do allow enlivened debate and honest commentary, but we would request that our members try to maintain some civility. Thank you.

SolarPanelTalk

Comment

• websterize
                      • Mar 2012

Disclosure when mucking with posts

How about more transparency when a forum member's (and administrator's) posts are edited or deleted, e.g. http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...ll=1#post51464 without explanation.
                      Bill

Comment

• dwm10251

leaving

Rudest people I've met online. I am deleting my account.

Comment

• ILFE
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by dwm10251
                          Rudest people I've met online. I am deleting my account.
                          I don't know that a member can "delete" his own account. However, considering the short amount of time you have been on this forum, which isn't long enough to even determine the "personality" of this forum, that you should be making such harsh judgements so early on.
                          Paul

Comment

• ppreceipt
                            • Jun 2012

Unfortunately all it takes for most people is one or two inconsiderate comments for them to leave. There are plenty of free forums out there to jump ship to. Hopefully the amended rules make this place better.

Comment

• PNjunction
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jul 2012

Wow - you have to develop a thicker skin to deal with online media - or you may end up throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Yeah, I'm old.

Two simple rules from my old dialup FidoNet bbs days back in the 80's has served me well no matter what forum I participated in:

Rule 1: Don't be annoying.
                              Rule 2: Don't be easily annoyed.

I'm probably breaking Rule #1 right now. From past experience, Rule #2 was the hardest to learn. Rule 2 got more people banned than rule #1.

Enough of my preaching. I actually respect frank / honest opinions. I was only two steps away from sinking my young life savings into a solar panel building adventure that wouldn't eventually work, because guys that knew better were being nice to me.

Off the soapbox now ...

Comment

• Cal Dan
                                • Apr 2013

great site

This site is wonderful. It seems to have the same format as some other forums (non solar) that I visit from time to time. So to me, that makes it user friendly.

As for those who feel the negitivity, I don't understand. It is just information. It can't hurt you. If I am looking for info, I try to find as many points of view that I can. Some people can make their points a little harshly. I love it! It just means that they really want you to listen, and usually those are the ones who are the most knowledgeable. Just remember, those who know so much about this stuff don't need to hang out here. For whatever reasons that they do it, it only helps the rest of us.

Thanks to all with the info. You know who you are. It is much apreciated.

Dan

Comment

Working...