X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Willy T
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2014

Originally posted by SunEagle
    I agree that the grid tie is definitely worth it and will pay for itself quickly in high Tier locations.

I just don't see that battery being an economical solution even if your credit for excess power is only $0.04/kWh.
    The $.04 is the reimbursement rate for any excess, that is the power you store for later use.

My Typical TOU used to be about 40 KWH per day @ $.36 = $14.40. Anything I can off set above the $1.90 + 40 x .04 = $1.60 so $3.50 cost, or $10.90 saved if I could replace it all. Realistically I have about 20 kw storage and the panels supply the rest ( 8.2 kw ) and use grid support for some of the big stuff.

Comment

• Willy T
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jun 2014

Originally posted by russ
      If anyone stores energy in batteries it will be the utility. They will have the first right.

For individuals to store energy in batteries and expect to sell it back at TOU high rates only happens due to politics - it makes no business sense. It only works at all due to the small penetration of solar PV as of today.
      +1 Totally Agree

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Willy T
        I have about 20 kw storage and the panels supply the rest ( 8.2 kw ) and use grid support for some of the big stuff.
        Someone just got caught in a big fat lie and is making things up. From another thread you stated and I quote directly.

I have 8, 260 amp hr Winston cells, 520 amp hr @ 12 ( 2p4s) .
        Your busted.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• Willy T
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Sunking
          Someone just got caught in a big fat lie and is making things up. From another thread you stated and I quote directly.

Your busted.
          Do you know how many systems I have ?? I thought not. The LiFep04 is a system I am playing with to see if I want to switch from FLA in the future. If you took the time to read you'd have seen it's connected to a outback GFX 1312 Inverter, hardly a house sized system. You know what you can do with the name calling.

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

The $.04 is the reimbursement rate for any excess, that is the power you store for later use.

My Typical TOU used to be about 40 KWH per day @ $.36 = $14.40. Anything I can off set above the $1.90 + 40 x .04 = $1.60 so $3.50 cost, or $10.90 saved if I could replace it all. Realistically I have about 20 kw storage and the panels supply the rest ( 8.2 kw ) and use grid support for some of the big stuff.
            I am kinda slow sometimes so help me out.

You are estimating that the battery system will cost you $1.90/day (for 10 years).

You are using 40kWh at $0.36/kWh rate a day at a cost of $14.40 but want to offset that cost by using your export kWh at $0.04/kWh to charge that battery.

So how much kWh do you normally export at the $0.04/kWh rate a day?

Comment

• Willy T
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jun 2014

I am kinda slow sometimes so help me out.

You are estimating that the battery system will cost you $1.90/day (for 10 years).

You are using 40kWh at $0.36/kWh rate a day at a cost of $14.40 but want to offset that cost by using your export kWh at $0.04/kWh to charge that battery.

So how much kWh do you normally export at the $0.04/kWh rate a day?
              It depends, one I am using it to re-charge the batteries and running A/C and other things I time shift. Weather is always a factor. I have two sub panels and one I can cut if necessary during low production. There many days I generate 50 + KWH on the panels alone.

Comment

• Bala
                Solar Fanatic
                • Dec 2010

Something I think people fail to factor in, in battery storage cost, is expected ROI is the income earning potential off the capital investment of all the components.

If this battery cost $7000 and last for 10 years,

then in business terms you would want a minimum 10% per annum ROI. so that 7K could earn you 11K,

Even at 5% term deposit it would earn you $4400,

Obviously there are some variables with tax etc,

But still something that a lot of people over look

Comment

• Willy T
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Bala
                  Something I think people fail to factor in, in battery storage cost, is expected ROI is the income earning potential off the capital investment of all the components.

If this battery cost $7000 and last for 10 years,

then in business terms you would want a minimum 10% per annum ROI. so that 7K could earn you 11K,

Even at 5% term deposit it would earn you $4400,

Obviously there are some variables with tax etc,

But still something that a lot of people over look
                  Here $7,000 will get you about $90 a year in a CD at current Interest rates, not even worth the effort to drive to the bank. Over 10 years no one knows.

Comment

• SunEagle
                    Super Moderator
                    • Oct 2012

Here $7,000 will get you about $90 a year in a CD at current Interest rates, not even worth the effort to drive to the bank. Over 10 years no one knows.
                    True. What use to be a good way to invest, CD's have a pretty poor ROI.

There are other ways to invest where you can get more return but as you know the higher the rate the higher the risk. The trick is finding one that is good.

Funny how back in the 60's I had a savings account that got me 5.5% and I also got a set of glassware with only a $100 deposit.

Comment

• Willy T
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jun 2014

True. What use to be a good way to invest, CD's have a pretty poor ROI.

There are other ways to invest where you can get more return but as you know the higher the rate the higher the risk. The trick is finding one that is good.

Funny how back in the 60's I had a savings account that got me 5.5% and I also got a set of glassware with only a $100 deposit.
                      CD's are not all that good, I did once have some 15% cd's in the late 70's, early 80's, but things were crazy.

Comment

• Bala
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Dec 2010

Here you can get 3.6 CD over 60 months, which is not a lot, but basically I was talking in general when people talk about there free power from stand alone systems.

With this battery and talking about using it to store power then sell it, if Im on the right track,

( assuming you alraedy have panels etc) 7k for this battery unit which is new so may or may not produce as expected or last 10 years, inverter, panels, controllers may fail in the 10 years life cycle so those costs need to be considered, government policy can change quickly.

Or put that 7k in a managed fund at moderate risk, can reasonable be expected to return 10% over 10 years.

If one was looking to invest 7K which is the most likely to give a ROI.

Comment

• SunEagle
                          Super Moderator
                          • Oct 2012

As I mentioned in another thread, The Tesla battery is not yet ready for prime time, based on the existing cost and lack of proven cycle life.

IMO it is not a good investment on any level.

Comment

• russ
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jul 2009

As I mentioned in another thread, The Tesla battery is not yet ready for prime time, based on the existing cost and lack of proven cycle life.

IMO it is not a good investment on any level.
                            You got it but it sure got Musk's name in the news - which is what he wanted.
                            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Willy T
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jun 2014

What and when would people use as a gage to consider this a valid concept ??

Comment

• russ
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Jul 2009

What and when would people use as a gage to consider this a valid concept ??
                                See it on the market and in use for a year or two - then it is more than chatter.
                                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...