X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian S
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by SunEagle
    Yet being comfortable by owning a very expensive energy storage system that may save me $150 annually and take decades to pay for itself would not be my first motivation. I would look for other ways to stay comfortable that is less costly.
    But that's my point: you don't need a large battery system to save $150/yr. In reality, I think you'd want perhaps a 5-10 kWh battery system and perhaps save $300-500/yr. Even in that case it's going to have to last much more than 5 years to make it pay at current prices.

But then again that is my opinion. My wife has her own opinion which is why my home's average electric usage (June through September) is around 2000 kWh.

I am thinking of sending her on a cruise to Antarctica during those months but the cost for that is much more than what I would save on my electric bill.
    Nah, you just have to occasionally let her out of that hot kitchen!

Comment

• inetdog
      Super Moderator
      • May 2012

I am thinking of sending her on a cruise to Antarctica during those months but the cost for that is much more than what I would save on my electric bill.
      The GC who did our major house remodel told us of one customer who calculated that it would actually have been cheaper to send his wife to Europe for three months than the eventual cost of all the change orders she added to their remodeling project.
      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by inetdog
        The GC who did our major house remodel told us of one customer who calculated that it would actually have been cheaper to send his wife to Europe for three months than the eventual cost of all the change orders she added to their remodeling project.
        Amend to that. I always tell my wife a Hooker is cheaper and not near as much trouble.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Sunking
          Amend to that. I always tell my wife a Hooker is cheaper and not near as much trouble.
          That might work for you but my wife knows how to accurately shoot and answer questions with a straight face.

Comment

• RedDenver
            • Apr 2015

I've wondered if perhaps Tesla might try to reuse their car batteries in stationary applications after they reach 80% of original capacity. For their 85 kWh batteries, that's still 68 kWh of capacity remaining. I'm not sure if this possible, since I don't know how the chemistry behaves at end of life.

Comment

• Sunny Solar
              Solar Fanatic
              • May 2012

But then again that is my opinion. My wife has her own opinion which is why my home's average electric usage (June through September) is around 2000 kWh. [COLOR="#0000FF"]
              SUNEAGLE is that 2000 kwh for the whole period? or a month??. If for the month if its ok can you tell me how you use that much electricity,..??

Comment

• russ
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2009

Tell Donald Sterling that - think he might not agree.
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Sunny Solar
                  But then again that is my opinion. My wife has her own opinion which is why my home's average electric usage (June through September) is around 2000 kWh. [COLOR="#0000FF"]
                  SUNEAGLE is that 2000 kwh for the whole period? or a month??. If for the month if its ok can you tell me how you use that much electricity,..??
                  I am ashamed to admit that there have been a few months (June, July & August) in the past years where my 30 day consumption has exceeded 2000 kWh or about 67 kWh a day.

The reason for this high usage is multi-layered. My wife is very sensitive to warm temperatures so she would like to have the house (~2200 Sq ft) kept at 75 F. My AC system was 12 years old (just replaced it last week) and inefficient.

I also have a 3/4 hp pool pump which runs 8 hours a day in the summer.

With 3 to 4 people in the home there are a number of TV's running at the same time along with room lighting and other electrical devices.

I am not sure what my neighbors are using but from what they tell me about their electric bills, they must be using more.

Before Oct 2010 I also had an electric water heater. Replaced it with a solar drain back system along with more attic insulation, thermal barrier, LED lighting and saw my bills drop from an average of 2200 kWh per month to 1500 kWh. So performing a little conservation went a long way to reducing my yearly electric usage but still had some higher monthly usage in the summer. I expect to see another drop with the newer and higher efficient AC unit that just went in.

Comment

• Living Large
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Nov 2014

I am ashamed to admit that there have been a few months (June, July & August) in the past years where my 30 day consumption has exceeded 2000 kWh or about 67 kWh a day.
                    67kWh would indeed be something to be ashamed about. I believe you mean 67Wh - which is still eye popping to me, but I live by myself and I don't have a pool!

Comment

• Sunny Solar
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • May 2012

To anyone contemplating buying AC unit for first time or replacing an old window or split AC unit.... The power savings from the newer Inverter split AC units is nothing short of amazing.
                      We changed a 1 hp window AC unit with a 1hp inverter split ACand powr reduction of 62%.and the window one was only 5 yrs old..

Comment

• SunEagle
                        Super Moderator
                        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Living Large
                        67kWh would indeed be something to be ashamed about. I believe you mean 67Wh - which is still eye popping to me, but I live by myself and I don't have a pool!
                        No. The correct number for those months is about 67 kWh daily. My home is 100% electric. That includes the stove, cloths dryer, heating and cooling along with all the other appliances. With 4 people living in the home a lot of energy is used all day and night.

Before I made some major changes in Oct 2010 I was averaging 72 kWh a day or 26171 kWh for the entire year of 2010.

Last year (2014) I averaged 48 kWh daily or 17653 kWh for the year. Today is was above 80 F and I am averaging about 2 kW/hr with 40 kWh used by 8 PM.

While my home uses a lot of electricity compared to most of the world, I use less than an average home of my size in Florida with a family of my size.

Comment

• Living Large
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Sunny Solar
                          To anyone contemplating buying AC unit for first time or replacing an old window or split AC unit.... The power savings from the newer Inverter split AC units is nothing short of amazing.
                          We changed a 1 hp window AC unit with a 1hp inverter split ACand powr reduction of 62%.and the window one was only 5 yrs old..
                          In the back of my mind is that someone somewhere said that in a small house (1000 sq ft +/-) they got away with running a mini split on low at 300W. Have to run a lot of hours and not let the temperature get too hot or else the 300W setting won't do squat to reduce temperature.

Since I am planning about an 1100 sq ft house, I am still thinking about a low power draw AC if I go solar. My current AC draws about 2000W.

Comment

• Sunking
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Living Large
                            LL 64 wh is nothing a 10 watt light burning for 6 hours. You average home in the USA is 30 Kwh per day. 67 Kwh in a day for a large home in Florida with a swimming pool, and electric hot water is not that unusual. Florida has to have something you Yanks do not know about. Kind of a new invention so you might not heard of it. They call it Air Conditioning. You cannot live in the south without air conditioning.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

• Living Large
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Nov 2014

LL 64 wh is nothing a 10 watt light burning for 6 hours. You average home in the USA is 30 Kwh per day. 67 Kwh in a day for a large home in Florida with a swimming pool, and electric hot water is not that unusual. Florida has to have something you Yanks do not know about. Kind of a new invention so you might not heard of it. They call it Air Conditioning. You cannot live in the south without air conditioning.
                              I made an error Dereck - and I'm making a note of that fact on my calendar and trying not to repeat tomorrow.

I meant 6.7kWh, not 67Wh - not sure how that came out of my fingers. My use is 6.9kWh per day, so 10x that amount was a bit shocking. Even more so when the bill rolls in.

Comment

• Sunny Solar
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • May 2012

Sunking is a wealth of information..BUT I have heard of ACunits and recently bought 4 Inverter split AC units. 2 x 21/2 hp and 2 x 1hp.. We run one of the 21/2 hp ones about 5 hrs a day. and one 1hp one about 10 hrs a day.. I dont know what that is in the "ton" measurement USA uses.. HP is the only rating used in Phils.. BTUis used mostly for comparison in Australia.
                                My total monthly electric bill is less than 600kwh a month.
                                1x50" LED tv on about 12 hrs a day.. usualy no one watching..

Instant electric hot water heater.used at most on 1200 w

2ceiling fans on usually 24 hrs a day.
                                auto wash machine used 46mins 2 times a week.
                                1 x 300L fridge/freezer.

All lighting is solar power only... Almost all LED lighting and a few CFL..

Solar clothes drying only as its sunny from 6am to 6pm and above 25deg C about 300 days a year..
                                Reverse cycle ACunits are not sold or available in Phils..

Comment

Working...