• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alisobob
    Banned
    • Sep 2014

Solar generates energy.

Batteries store energy.

Batteries dont "power" anything. The energy comes from somewhere else.

Musk is panicing....

Comment

• Solarnemo
      • Feb 2015

Using hybrid car battery as an optional backup source

Originally posted by Alisobob
      Solar generates energy.

Batteries store energy.

Batteries dont "power" anything. The energy comes from somewhere else.

Musk is panicing....
      Thanks all for the input. Thought was that with Grid Tie solar systems, the options are not so good for emergency power to keep the furnace going in Minnesota where it gets very cold and to power the refrigerators and freezers in the summer. (The food keeps pretty good outside in the Minnesota winters)

1. Generator sets are noisy and require fuel.

2. Batteries are expensive and require venting.

I am not a greenie yet, but if a hybrid or PHEV car could be easily used to power the refrigerators in the summer of the furnace in the winter is would be better than the alternatives above.

With gas prices so low now, Pug in electric cars do not get much press except for the true enthusiasts.

You can buy a two year old Volt car with relatively large battery for a deep discount ($19K). However, after driving one, I would probably prefer to drive something higher end with a better ride.

Thanks for the comments.

Comment

• pleppik
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by russ
        That is silly stuff!
        I vaguely remember seeing an ad years ago for a hybrid pickup truck with a 120VAC outlet. The ad showed a Rugged Carpenter at a remote job site with his power tool plugged into the truck.

At the time it struck me as a nifty idea, especially since I've been known to occasionally use power tools at remote sites.

But I don't remember which truck it was (best bet seems to be the Siverado Hybrid), and I can't seem to find any references to this feature anymore. I'm guessing that in the real world, Rugged Carpenters don't often work at sites without power.

(But the idea isn't entirely dead. While I was googling for the old ad I remember, I found a concept truck from last year with hybrid power and 120/240VAC plugs.)
        16x TenK 410W modules + 14x TenK 500W inverters

Comment

• Alisobob
          Banned
          • Sep 2014

Alternator-Repair-Bolingbrook-IL.jpg

This is what powers a Hybrid truck... not the battery.

Comment

• pleppik
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Alisobob
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]5838[/ATTACH]

This is what powers a Hybrid truck... not the battery.
            The alternator?
            16x TenK 410W modules + 14x TenK 500W inverters

Comment

• russ
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by pleppik
              I vaguely remember seeing an ad years ago for a hybrid pickup truck with a 120VAC outlet. The ad showed a Rugged Carpenter at a remote job site with his power tool plugged into the truck.
              For that purpose it is great but not more.
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

Originally posted by pleppik
                The alternator?
                Nope, the gas or diesel or propane engine that spins the alternator/generator It powers the wheels and the battery gives it some extra kick. No idea how it does towing up a 6% hill for 5 miles.
                See Grapevine @ I5 http://www.crashforensics.com/tejonpass.cfm
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Roil
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jun 2012

Let's see if we can get this thread back on track

The topic is about Teslas alleged intention of supplying battery packs for "home use"

I must admit that so far the best argument against, has come from Derek (Sunking) - and it's all about safety. Do we want a bomb in our basement? On the other side at some point in time we probably have to leave the old fashion world of FLA's. It's just an outdated technology. We drive much faster on our Norwegian slippery winter roads today then we did 50 years ago, but then we have much safer cars, better winter tires with advances soft rubber compound, ABS brakes, airbags, EMS and all the other f. 3-letter acronyms. We use the increased technology to drive faster not safer - just our human nature I guess. Tesla owners on have accepted the risk driving around with this battery pack.

Maybe it is the same with energy distribution systems and batteries?

Norway has some of the biggest batteries in the world - our hydroelectric water dams. We are currently investigating whether we can use them as batteries for the less flexible output of europe's nuclear power plants. Charging them at night by pumping water up again them from the sea. But because of distance it's not without a power loss. It would have been nice and more safe from an crises point of view if this energy could have been stored more locally.

In Norway where grid reliability is very high and no one has a grid backup solution, such a batteripack could however be used to save us from extend the grid in very remote areas where the grid construction cost and the following depreciation wildly exceeding the cost of actually producing the power. This could be for people living in such areas or of grid cabin's like me.

Just to give you all a flavour of how energy prices might influence the views on this topic:

Kw electricity in Norway 0.11-0.12$/kwh (2015)
                  Pump gas: 6.5$/US gallon
                  --------------------
                  Norwegian off grid cabin owner
                  Panels facing south

- Kyocera panels 135W
                  - Tristar 60A MPPT
                  - Victron 3000w/12V / 120A

Comment

• Sunking
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Feb 2010

There are two big issues at play here. The majority of Ev's use either LiCo (Lithium Cobalt) which is what Tesla uses, or LiMn (Lithium Manganese) used in the Nissan Leaf and Chevy Volt. Both have inherit problems of cost, cycle life, and thermal runaway.

LiCo has the highest energy density of all the lithium batteries of around 250 wh/Kg which is why Tesla can claim up to 300 miles on a charge. LiCo has two huge problems; cost and safety. On the cost side is you are looking at more than $2/wh. Ever notice how expensive your laptop and cell phone batteries are. Along with the cost side is cycle life and with LiCo is the lowest of all lithium batteries. On cost alone it would be insane to even consider using them for energy storage for home use. You would be looking at $3 to $5 per Kwh just in battery cost. The second problem which is by now a moot point is safety. LiCo is very unstable and requires thermal management. Tesla has to use both liquid cooling and heating. LiCo is very prone to thermal runaway, and when they burn you cannot put the fire out. The heat is so intense and hot it melts steel.

LiMn on the other hand is less expensive, safer, and slightly better cycle life. However it is very sensitive to heat and doe snot work well in warm climates. Even though it is less expensive, when you combine initial cost, thermal management, and cycle life you are still looking at $1+ per Kwh hour. Again no one would do that when you can generate electricity for 4-cents per Kwh. What country, company, or person would do that to their economy?

Lithium Iron Phosphate aka LFP is really the only chemistry that stands a decent chance sometime in the future. There are the safest, least expensive, and longest cycle life of any lithium battery. Today the cost have bottomed out and starting to go back up of about 40 - cents per watt hour and a cycle life of 2000 cycles or 7 to 10 year calendar life whichever comes first. However that still is no where near cost competitive to conventional generation cost. That still puts you in the 60 to 70 cents per Kwh battery cost. You do not see them used much in commercial EV's because they have the lowest energy density of al the lithium batteries of roughly 90 to 100 wh/Kg. Unfortunately most are not made in the USA, rather China. Chi-Com LFP cells cost 40-cents per wh. USA made cells are $1.50 per like those made by the bankrupt A123 Systems which are now owned and made in China.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Johann
                      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Roil
                      True, but for that price you get the whole car, the non battery stuff probably do have some value?

If you search the Tesla forums you will see that price estimations for the 85kwh batteri of a Tesla goes from 45000$ all the way down to 12000$. This is replacement prices so not the same as buying a separate unit

From a Tesla forum:
                      "Nissan has just announced a $5500 replacement charge for the 24kWh battery so it's reasonable to expect to get a 85kWh battery for (way) under $20,000 in the future."

0.25$/wh should be interesting when knowing you could use all the watts.
                      Nisan's battery price includes a battery trait-in as a core.

Comment

• donald
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Feb 2015

Originally posted by russ
                        You can't find it because until something concrete comes out it is more vaporware from Musk who is one of the masters of vaporware.
                        Vaporware like the Tesla S and SpaceX, or the beta Tesla battery packets installed in residential homes in SoCal?

Energy density isn't important in this application. If thermal runaway risk is acceptably solved in transportation, it certainly has been resolved for stationary applications. People like Musk are betting literally billions of dollars that the lithium ion battery cost curve will be similar to what is happening with panel costs. If that's true, most people with solar will receive a positive return on an investment in local storage.

This potential development is relevant now. I wouldn't buy panels with micoinverters, which are currently the darlings of many system providers.

The more utilities fight against parity in net metering, the more storage makes sense.

Comment

• russ
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by donald
                          Vaporware like the Tesla S and SpaceX, or the beta Tesla battery packets installed in residential homes in SoCal?
                          Yep - vaporware - as in Musk and his stock is in tough times - lots of chatter and stirring the pot but not much more as of yet.

If you buy his BS fine with me but I fail to see how anyone can.
                          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Sunking
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Feb 2010

Energy density isn't important in this application. If thermal runaway risk is acceptably solved in transportation, it certainly has been resolved for stationary applications.
                            At great expense and complexity. Tesla has to use both liquid heating and cooling.

Try telling a homeowner he needs to spend 10 times more for a battery requiring a mechanical cooling system with pumps and fans to maintain that does not last as long a a lead acid battery and see how far you get with that argument. Bet that sales man gets Rover sicked on him and an attitude adjustment upside the head with a 2 x 4.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

• donald
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Feb 2015

I'm sure the home systems they have installed already don't have heating. They probably do have active cooling - a box fan. In a home system they can enforce minimum and maximum room temps. What the specs on the car? -30F to 120F? I do think that their turn key approach is the right way to sell safe residential lithium battery systems.
                              The early adapters will be buying this system instead of a Generac. But after that, there needs to be a decent ROI.
                              These huge battery investments were not justified on future lithium technology. They are based on economy of scale. These are not announcements of supposed lab breakthroughs in solar technology that everyone ignores.

Comment

• russ
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Jul 2009

I'm sure the home systems they have installed already don't have heating. They probably do have active cooling - a box fan. In a home system they can enforce minimum and maximum room temps. What the specs on the car? -30F to 120F? I do think that their turn key approach is the right way to sell safe residential lithium battery systems.
                                The early adapters will be buying this system instead of a Generac. But after that, there needs to be a decent ROI.
                                These huge battery investments were not justified on future lithium technology. They are based on economy of scale. These are not announcements of supposed lab breakthroughs in solar technology that everyone ignores.
                                Anyone buying a Generac is beyond hope - Chinese POS. 3600 RPM generators are generally useless.

Your rose colored glasses and cute - learn a bit more about batteries than what your stock broker is telling you.
                                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...