X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hirox
    • Jun 2015

Originally posted by SunEagle
    And Hello to you Hirox. Welcome to Solar Panel Talk

Please tell us more about yourself and what you want to learn concerning solar technology.
    I'm from sweden and interested in engineering, my interest have drawn me to solarpower and rockets.

Originally posted by donald
    Russ would have so enjoyed banning you. I almost miss the old guy.
    Seems like a healthy message board... -.-

Comment

• inetdog
      Super Moderator
      • May 2012

OK, here is a draft (just from me) policy statement on the Forum. Others may have a different understanding, and just FYI Russ has not been around for more than a month.
      1. In a technical topic area, digressions from purely technical matters into policy and political questions may still be appropriate as long as they are put forward in a way that does not constitute a personal attack or trolling. The moderators will jump in to suppress things that go clearly beyond the pale.
      2. In the General Discussion topic there is no need for any technical connection to solar energy at all, although posts in the solar energy realm that do not seem to fit another topic are certainly welcome. The restrictions about politics and religion (including secular humanism ) will be less strictly enforced there but the rules on personal attacks will be in full force.

Note that one man's free speech is another man's trolling, so the Moderators do not have a simple job. I personally will tend to lean toward the free speech side. Until I get fed up, of course.
      Last edited by inetdog; 06-25-2015, 03:20 PM.
      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• solar pete
        Administrator
        • May 2014

Originally posted by inetdog
        OK, here is a draft (just from me) policy statement on the Forum. Others may have a different understanding, and just FYI Russ has not been around for more than a month.
        1. In a technical topic area, digressions from purely technical matters into policy and political questions may still be appropriate as long as they are put forward in a way that does not constitute a personal attack or trolling. The moderators will jump in to suppress things that go clearly beyond the pale.
        2. In the General Discussion topic there is no need for any technical connection to solar energy at all, although posts in the solar energy realm that do not seem to fit another topic are certainly welcome. The restrictions about politics and religion (including secular humanism ) will be less strictly enforced there but the rules on personal attacks will be in full force.

Note that one man's free speech is another man's trolling, so the Moderators do not have a simple job. I personally will tend to lean toward the free speech side. Until I get fed up, of course.
        That sounds fair to me. +1

Comment

• inetdog
          Super Moderator
          • May 2012

PS: Compared to many other forums, Solar Panel Talk seems a little light on formal policies.
          With the exception of section 10.2 at http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/faq.ph...q_terms_of_use, there is not really much about content. Most of the verbiage there is boilerplate/generic to keep the lawyers happy and to protect Solar Reviews.
          I am perfectly happy to continue with "unwritten" policies, but would also be willing to help formalize them if there is enough interest in that.

Comment

• pleppik
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by inetdog
            PS: Compared to many other forums, Solar Panel Talk seems a little light on formal policies.
            With the exception of section 10.2 at http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/faq.ph...q_terms_of_use, there is not really much about content. Most of the verbiage there is boilerplate/generic to keep the lawyers happy and to protect Solar Reviews.
            I am perfectly happy to continue with "unwritten" policies, but would also be willing to help formalize them if there is enough interest in that.
            Moderating an online forum is a hard job, and formal policies are only part of the answer.

Of course there should be a general policy against harassment, stalking, threats, "doxxing," and similar boorish behavior.

But in addition to all that, the Moderator's role is really to maintain the discussion so the community can be the kind of community it wants to be. Like a gardener, the job involves some combination of planting, pruning, and weeding.

There are as many different community standards as there are communities, but the risk in being too proscriptive and rule-bound is that the worst trolls positively revel in exploiting the loopholes. It's behavior any parent will be familiar with, and fortunately most people outgrow it by age three or four...

So personally, I would rather see a general statement of what kind of discussions we're trying to foster combined with moderators who share the same vision and have some discretion to promote that direction.

And props for working to promote this forum. You at least convinced me to come back and lurk for a while if nothing else.
            16x TenK 410W modules + 14x TenK 500W inverters

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

Tough call, and in any case not mine, but maybe a good start. There are probably no 100% correct answers. I'd favor a bit more structured policy that dealt with personal attacks more vigorously. Such attacks do no good that I can see, and may well hurt the quality of the discourse. Such actions (the attacks) seem petty, childish and non productive.

FWIW, unless it's to correct some error (as I see such an error), I deal with such posters by not responding to their spoor and venom. Basically, I shun them.

IMO, these seemingly interminable and juvenile pissing matches detract from the quality of the forum and (while not assuming for one hot second anyone cares) have made me seriously consider severing contact. I respectfully assign some responsibility for allowing (to the point of tacitly condoning) what I consider abusive personal attacks by posters on a regular and predictable basis to the moderators and owners for letting it persist as long as it often does.

Still, there seem to be more than a few posters here who could benefit from a bit thicker skin.

Just my $0.02. Take what you want of the above. Scrap the rest.

Comment

• DanKegel
                Banned
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by solar pete
                That sounds fair to me. +1
                I'd change "will jump in" to "may jump in". Don't want to overpromise.

If you can make it shorter, though, please do, lest eyes glaze over.

If the board is serious about the "don't mention installers by name" policy,
                that deserves a mention, too.

So, maybe something like:

-- snip --
                SolarPanelTalk is a great place to discuss anything and everything about solar energy - advantages and disadvantages, how to use it, how to get the most bang for the buck, problems to avoid, applicable laws, etc. etc.

Please do not post names of installers, or advertise your business, on this board. Please see the sister sites
                http://www.solarreviews.com/ and http://www.solar-estimate.org/ for info about installers.

Please keep messages on topic. Discussions that veer off topic should move to the General Discussion area.
                Personal attacks and trolling are always inappropriate.

Official site moderators may enforce these rules as appropriate; users are encouraged to use the Ignore List
                (http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/profile.php?do=ignorelist) setting to avoid seeing messages from annoying people.
                -- snip --

?

And please create a new thread for this discussion, it's gone off topic

Comment

• Willy T
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jun 2014

You moron. Liar Liar pants on fire. Such a huge lie any child can detect it. If LL was on your ignore list, you could not respond to him you idiot. Really stupid. Those username and time/date stamps hold up in court. So here are your signs.

Liar
                  Hack
                  Stupid.

You earned each and everyone of them. Misrepresentation is enough to get you BANNED WILLY.
                  You mean that someone would actually think a post like this is inappropriate, seems like it's business as usual. Why would anyone ever answer a post on here when they have to put up with this kind of trash.

Comment

• inetdog
                    Super Moderator
                    • May 2012

The immediately preceding posts, back to LivingLarge's post about Russ, have been copied to a new thread in General Discussion, http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...he-first-to-go!.

Please take all future off topic posts about Forum policy to that thread and also try to keep the personal attacks down in this thread.
                    Thank you.

Comment

• roxanwright
                      Banned
                      • Apr 2014

This is a very good idea but it will be very costly especially it's Tesla who'll create it. Does anyone know if this project has been completed already? I'd like to read more about this, interesting stuff..

Comment

• SunEagle
                        Super Moderator
                        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by roxanwright
                        This is a very good idea but it will be very costly especially it's Tesla who'll create it. Does anyone know if this project has been completed already? I'd like to read more about this, interesting stuff..
                        Tesla has received thousands of orders for their Powerall home battery system. I do not believe any have been built yet although Tesla is still working on their final or revised product. Still some time before it becomes available to use. There are other companies that are marketing their own home energy storage system. They are also very expensive.

Comment

• na9an
                          • Aug 2015

which inverter to use if interested in PowerWall / storage

thinking of going solar.

may eventually get a energy storage as well.

but any thoughts on which inverter would work best to hook up in the future with it?

would the SolarEdge inverter be good for the PowerWall?
                          or string or
                          micro inverters?

Comment

• Sunking
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by na9an
                            thinking of going solar.may eventually get a energy storage as well.but any thoughts on which inverter would work best to hook up in the future with it?would the SolarEdge inverter be good for the PowerWall?or string or micro inverters?
                            There are no inverters for it.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

• DanKegel
                              Banned
                              • Sep 2014

No sense talking about it until it's actually on the market, but in general, this is a question you need to discuss with your installer. It's easier to integrate storage right from the start than to add it later.

I wouldn't get storage unless it saved me money. (And I'm a hardcore environmentalist!)
                              What's your power company, and how much do they charge per kWh?

At the moment, storage only makes financial sense in a few areas (e.g. Hawaii
                              and Australia). But over the next few years, more and more utilities will reduce their solar incentives
                              and increase their rates, and price of storage will come down, to the point where storage makes financial sense.

Comment

• Jerry Liebler
                                • Aug 2015

Originally posted by na9an
                                thinking of going solar.

may eventually get a energy storage as well.

but any thoughts on which inverter would work best to hook up in the future with it?

would the SolarEdge inverter be good for the PowerWall?
                                or string or
                                micro inverters?
                                Tesla has anounced they are "partnering" with inverter manufacturers, Solaredge and Fronius.
                                Solaredge has said they will offer "upgrades" of their inverters to work with the "Powerwall." I also read that the Powerwall battery operates between 350 and 400 volts and "Powerwall" includes a variable DC to DC converter to provide a "fixed" output voltage. It is interesting that Solar edge single phase inverters use a DC input of 350 volts.
                                For these and other reasons my new system will use Solaredge.
                                I'm planning a 12kw system and the Solar edge "stuff" is less than $0.41/watt. even using 250 watt panels.

Comment

Working...