X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Willy T
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2014

Originally posted by russ
    See it on the market and in use for a year or two - then it is more than chatter.
    Thats reasonable. I agree and other should also.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Willy T
      What and when would people use as a gage to consider this a valid concept ??
      I would have to see it being real, sold and used in a home environment along with some solid data on cycle and DOD cycle similar to what Trojan posts for it's batteries.

There is someone in Hawaii that is "testing" an Aquion battery system. While that battery technology looks promising there are a lot of questions to how long it will last and how deep it can be discharged.

In my book it is too soon to tell if either battery is yet able to meet the expectations of people that own a solar pv system (grid tie or other).

Comment

• nomadh
        Solar Fanatic
        • Sep 2014

new aluminum based batteries

What about the new upcoming aluminum battery tech that's going to put lithium out to pasture it seems.

Just to add some FUD into the decision.
        hate to buy a 10 yr battery 2 years before the 1/5th price 25 yr battery comes out.

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by nomadh
          What about the new upcoming aluminum battery tech that's going to put lithium out to pasture it seems.

Just to add some FUD into the decision.
          hate to buy a 10 yr battery 2 years before the 1/5th price 25 yr battery comes out.
          Interesting research. Almost as good as the liquid metal (Ambri) battery that is being investigated at MIT. Still too soon to get excited about either.

Comment

• russ
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2009

Key point "Researchers from Stanford University"

Interesting but to get from research to the sales floor usually takes much longer than they are suggesting.
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

I just read an article where they are using refurbished Toyota Hybrid car batteries for a solar / battery system in Yellowstone.

I wonder what type of cycle life they will get out of them.

Toyota Batteries

Comment

• Willy T
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jun 2014

Originally posted by SunEagle
                I just read an article where they are using refurbished Toyota Hybrid car batteries for a solar / battery system in Yellowstone.

I wonder what type of cycle life they will get out of them.

Toyota Batteries
                That is cool, I see the Nissan Leaf batteries on ebay. Someone is recycling them. I think they are a weird voltage.

Comment

• Sunking
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2010

The mass public is stupid and you can sell them anything. Ask Obama he knows this well.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

• nomadh
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Sunking
                    The mass public is stupid and you can sell them anything. Ask Obama he knows this well.
                    These AL batteries may be moving along pretty fast. They look possibly low tech enough that if they release some more details we may even somehow be able to make a decent homebrew. If grapheme can be made with scotch tape and a pencil????

This shows it working for a cell phone while flexing. Safe and functional even when a nail is hammered through. Charges in 1 min. 7 times more recharges than Lithium.

Unless its just another Obama sylendra lie

Comment

• russ
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jul 2009

These AL batteries may be moving along pretty fast. They look possibly low tech enough that if they release some more details we may even somehow be able to make a decent homebrew. If grapheme can be made with scotch tape and a pencil????

This shows it working for a cell phone while flexing. Safe and functional even when a nail is hammered through. Charges in 1 min. 7 times more recharges than Lithium.

Unless its just another Obama sylendra lie
                      What an invalid comparison! I would bet on 10 to 15 years minimum.

Remember Boeing and batteries?
                      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Sunking
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Feb 2010

Charges in 1 min.
                        If you understood the physics you would know this is not likely. 1 minute recharge time is a 60C rate. 15 minutes is about as good as it gets at C/4. Beyond that and batteries tend to explode.

If that were a cell phone battery of say the standard 3.6 volts at 2 AH a 60C charge current is 120 amps generating 220 watts of power. Your phone would burst into flames the instant you connected the charger.
                        MSEE, PE

Comment

• nomadh
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Sep 2014

If you understood the physics you would know this is not likely. 1 minute recharge time is a 60C rate. 15 minutes is about as good as it gets at C/4. Beyond that and batteries tend to explode.

If that were a cell phone battery of say the standard 3.6 volts at 2 AH a 60C charge current is 120 amps generating 220 watts of power. Your phone would burst into flames the instant you connected the charger.
                          That would be a lot of energy in 1 min. At 1 min its almost seems more like a capacitor. Your math was with 3.6v but currently this AL battery is at 2v so I guess hes running 2 in series. What if you were to charge it as 2 batteries? Less energy per cell to charge. What if they charged in parallel?

Comment

• Sunking
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Feb 2010

That would be a lot of energy in 1 min. At 1 min its almost seems more like a capacitor. Your math was with 3.6v but currently this AL battery is at 2v so I guess hes running 2 in series. What if you were to charge it as 2 batteries? Less energy per cell to charge. What if they charged in parallel?
                            Just because you can charge at high rates does not mean you have too.

Think of EV's you can buy 3 levels of chargers for them.

SAE Level 1 is 120 volts @ 16 amps 1.9 Kw. Painfully Slow
                            SAE Level 2 is 240 volts 32 amps 7.7 Kw like watching paint dry
                            SAE Level 2 is 240 volts @ 80 Amps 19.2 Kw 2 to 4 hours still not fast enough for the public but your electrical service in your home cannot do much more than that.

Why there are two levels 2's beats me. Must have been drunk grease monkey mechanics who came up with that one. Level one is cheap, and simple extension cord from any home socket. Level 2 is expensive and requires an electrician to install with a dedicated circuit. Not all homes can use 80 amp as their service may not be large enough.

To get an EV mainstream requires 15 to 20 minute recharge times. That requires an electrical substation with trained personnel to make the connection and clear you out by having you to step inside the store to shop while your EV is charged with a 120 Kw charge at 600 volts and 200 amps. No EV or battery can take that right now.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

• Nekota
                              • May 2015

Originally posted by Willy T
                              That is cool, I see the Nissan Leaf batteries on ebay. Someone is recycling them. I think they are a weird voltage.
                              They are 4.1V fully charged per cell. With 96 cells (48 modules with 2 cells/module) a fully charged battery is 394 volts. A company called FreeWire Technologies is buying used LEAF batteries from Nissan and making a mobile charging system . They also could make the same power pack for a home that Tesla has announced.

Comment

• Nekota
                                • May 2015

Just because you can charge at high rates does not mean you have too.

Think of EV's you can buy 3 levels of chargers for them.

SAE Level 1 is 120 volts @ 16 amps 1.9 Kw. Painfully Slow
                                SAE Level 2 is 240 volts 32 amps 7.7 Kw like watching paint dry
                                SAE Level 2 is 240 volts @ 80 Amps 19.2 Kw 2 to 4 hours still not fast enough for the public but your electrical service in your home cannot do much more than that.

Why there are two levels 2's beats me. Must have been drunk grease monkey mechanics who came up with that one. Level one is cheap, and simple extension cord from any home socket. Level 2 is expensive and requires an electrician to install with a dedicated circuit. Not all homes can use 80 amp as their service may not be large enough.

To get an EV mainstream requires 15 to 20 minute recharge times. That requires an electrical substation with trained personnel to make the connection and clear you out by having you to step inside the store to shop while your EV is charged with a 120 Kw charge at 600 volts and 200 amps. No EV or battery can take that right now.
                                I drive an EV and am charging at 3.6KW overnight and it's never been a problem for 4 years. The idea you have to refill like a gas station is understandable until you bring the gas station home. Installation of level 2 at 40A service is bringing the gas station to your home and is equivalent to having an electrical service for an electric clothes dryer. The time I spend recharging is the time it takes to make the connection and later remove and store the cable. It's well under a minute to do both and then the car is full the next morning. You just connect and let the timers do the waiting.

The power levels described would be appropriate for emergency road side charging. There is a level 3 DC charging mode that charges at 60 KW (Chadmo) that the SAE did not sanction (bad move in my opinion to generate yet another DC charging standard). The problem with high charge rates is the charge tapers as the battery fills so you don't charge at that high rate long enough to fill the battery.

Your question about why there are two levels of level 2 charging is simple, there isn't any 80 Amp level 2 in practice. Probably the charger in the car to handle 80 amps would be expensive?

Comment

Working...