No announcement yet.

New Solar Array contract signed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I signed a contract this week for 16 Panasonic 330W with Solaredge inverter and optimizers. I will be getting the site eval this Friday. Cash price for the system is came is @ $3.01/W which I think is a great deal for the panels. I'm pretty confident with the company I decided to go with and glad I went through all the trouble of getting quotes from close to a dozen companies.

Comment

How do you order a system and THEN do the site evaul ?

and PM's are turned off at this site
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

I signed a contract with Sunpower 360 w 20 panels24000$
        7.2 kw.
        is it a good deal?
        Last edited by drajpupala; 04-22-2018, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by drajpupala View Post
          I signed a contract with Sunpower 360 w 20 panels24000$
          7.2 kw.
          is it a good deal?
          Since you're asking:

Your question sort of implies that it's all about initial price. Well, that ain't all of it by a lot. Another way to think of a good deal is perhaps better defined as most bang for your long term buck. In that context, a good deal is something that's an unknown at installation. Since panels and other PV equipment are pretty much a commodity now, how much a deal represents a good value is perhaps better determined by installation quality, with that mostly dependent on vendor quality and integrity.

So, if the question is: Could you have paid less up front per installed S.T.C. Watt by buying different (non Sunpower) equipment and got equally fit for purpose equipment that will give about the same annual output, the answer is yes. But that's a different question than did you get the most long term bang for your buck.

Another way to look at it : If you could have used the same vendor and less overpriced panels you would have paid less and would wind up with about the same annual system output for as long as you'll own either system.

If you're happy with your choice of equipment and more importantly the quality of the labor and professionalism that went into the installation of the equipment, then it's a good deal.

But, my educated guess is you probably could have done as good on equipment quality for less money up front and wind up with about the same annual output.

Comment

Thank for the reply. My house is east facing with lot of tress on west side and average electricity bill is 110-200$ . I checked all my neighbors and their bills are the same. I hope I can make some electricity with west facing panels. What are your thoughts regarding the west facing panels for 7.2kw system from Sunpower

Comment

Thank for the reply. My house is east facing with lot of tress on west side and average electricity bill is 110-200$ . I checked all my neighbors and their bills are the same. I hope I can make some electricity with west facing panels. What are your thoughts regarding the west facing panels for 7.2kw system from Sunpower
              You're welcome.

1.) I'd suggest disabusing yourself of the idea of superiority of Sunpower products. Sunpower products are good but no better than any other reputable mfg's panel. Most folks can get equal annual output, equal relibility and quality for a lot less up front outlay.

2.) Any shaded panel will produce less than any non shaded panel. How much depends on the location and size of what's causing the shading.

3.) You may possibly have been better off mounting the array facing east.

4.) Given a choice and capability, depending on shading, south facing will usually produce more electricity than east or west facing.

Now, might I respectfully suggest we get out of Bourbonbro's thread ? What to talk more ? How about opening your own thread ?

Comment

Thank you for honest reply. I am a newbie and happy to listen to your advise.
                My HOA will not let me install panels in front of house and lot of trees on the back.

Comment

Thank you for honest reply. I am a newbie and happy to listen to your advise.
                  My HOA will not let me install panels in front of house and lot of trees on the back.
                  What state are you in? many have Homeowners rights laws limiting HOA ability to restrict the location of install.
                  OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

South Carolina Columbia

Comment

South Carolina Columbia
                      In general, If in CA, there is some flexibility for the HOA to render some limits, but in general, the HOA would most likely, but not in all cases, not be allowed to disallow such a street facing or very visible arrangement. Check out what law may exist in SC or Columbia.

Comment

South Carolina Columbia
                        well currently HOAs can restrict the location but there have been pushes to change that...
                        http://abcnews4.com/news/local/solar...ts-legislation

https://solarpowerrocks.com/affordable-solar/can-work-homeowners-association-approve-solar/
                        Last edited by ButchDeal; 04-23-2018, 05:27 PM.
                        OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Working...
                        X