X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ButchDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by drajpupala
    South Carolina Columbia
    well currently HOAs can restrict the location but there have been pushes to change that...
    http://abcnews4.com/news/local/solar...ts-legislation

https://solarpowerrocks.com/affordable-solar/can-work-homeowners-association-approve-solar/
    Last edited by ButchDeal; 04-23-2018, 05:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• J.P.M.
    replied
    South Carolina Columbia
    In general, If in CA, there is some flexibility for the HOA to render some limits, but in general, the HOA would most likely, but not in all cases, not be allowed to disallow such a street facing or very visible arrangement. Check out what law may exist in SC or Columbia.

Leave a comment:

• drajpupala
    replied
    South Carolina Columbia

Leave a comment:

• ButchDeal
    replied
    Thank you for honest reply. I am a newbie and happy to listen to your advise.
    My HOA will not let me install panels in front of house and lot of trees on the back.
    What state are you in? many have Homeowners rights laws limiting HOA ability to restrict the location of install.

Leave a comment:

• drajpupala
    replied
    Thank you for honest reply. I am a newbie and happy to listen to your advise.
    My HOA will not let me install panels in front of house and lot of trees on the back.

Leave a comment:

• J.P.M.
    replied
    Thank for the reply. My house is east facing with lot of tress on west side and average electricity bill is 110-200$ . I checked all my neighbors and their bills are the same. I hope I can make some electricity with west facing panels. What are your thoughts regarding the west facing panels for 7.2kw system from Sunpower
    You're welcome.

1.) I'd suggest disabusing yourself of the idea of superiority of Sunpower products. Sunpower products are good but no better than any other reputable mfg's panel. Most folks can get equal annual output, equal relibility and quality for a lot less up front outlay.

2.) Any shaded panel will produce less than any non shaded panel. How much depends on the location and size of what's causing the shading.

3.) You may possibly have been better off mounting the array facing east.

4.) Given a choice and capability, depending on shading, south facing will usually produce more electricity than east or west facing.

Now, might I respectfully suggest we get out of Bourbonbro's thread ? What to talk more ? How about opening your own thread ?

Leave a comment:

• drajpupala
    replied
    Thank for the reply. My house is east facing with lot of tress on west side and average electricity bill is 110-200$ . I checked all my neighbors and their bills are the same. I hope I can make some electricity with west facing panels. What are your thoughts regarding the west facing panels for 7.2kw system from Sunpower

Leave a comment:

• J.P.M.
    replied
    I signed a contract with Sunpower 360 w 20 panels24000$
    7.2 kw.
    is it a good deal?
    Since you're asking:

Your question sort of implies that it's all about initial price. Well, that ain't all of it by a lot. Another way to think of a good deal is perhaps better defined as most bang for your long term buck. In that context, a good deal is something that's an unknown at installation. Since panels and other PV equipment are pretty much a commodity now, how much a deal represents a good value is perhaps better determined by installation quality, with that mostly dependent on vendor quality and integrity.

So, if the question is: Could you have paid less up front per installed S.T.C. Watt by buying different (non Sunpower) equipment and got equally fit for purpose equipment that will give about the same annual output, the answer is yes. But that's a different question than did you get the most long term bang for your buck.

Another way to look at it : If you could have used the same vendor and less overpriced panels you would have paid less and would wind up with about the same annual system output for as long as you'll own either system.

If you're happy with your choice of equipment and more importantly the quality of the labor and professionalism that went into the installation of the equipment, then it's a good deal.

But, my educated guess is you probably could have done as good on equipment quality for less money up front and wind up with about the same annual output.

Leave a comment:

• drajpupala
    replied
    I signed a contract with Sunpower 360 w 20 panels24000$
    7.2 kw.
    is it a good deal?
    Last edited by drajpupala; 04-22-2018, 09:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mike90250
    replied
    How do you order a system and THEN do the site evaul ?

and PM's are turned off at this site

Leave a comment:

• Link101ooh
    replied
    So I signed a contract this week for 16 Panasonic 330W with Solaredge inverter and optimizers. I will be getting the site eval this Friday. Cash price for the system is came is @ $3.01/W which I think is a great deal for the panels. I'm pretty confident with the company I decided to go with and glad I went through all the trouble of getting quotes from close to a dozen companies.

Leave a comment:

• Link101ooh
    replied
    Originally posted by bourbonbro

My quote was all cash. You should be able to get much closer to $3/watt for low 300s wattage panels that have a good warranty. My E19 320s were the very last of inventory. I wasnt stuck on Sunpower, just knew I had max of 21 panels i could fit and what kwh i wanted to offset as my sweet spot. Having an EV makes my % bill offset lower than most but i spend so little on the other kwh its a wash. Not sure if I can post the installer. I just found out this forum has a PM function... you need to activate messaging under your profile settings. Shoot me a msg.
    I'm not stuck on Sunpower either, but I am about in the same spot with roof space. It looks like my roof only has space for about 18-20 panels on the south facing portion based on the design plans and some basic measurements. I can fit a few more on a section of my roof that is east facing. As I mentioned, half of my total quotes have come from Sunpower dealers. I don't have an EV, but the wife works from home full time and I work from my home office about 2-3 days a week.

I don't think PM's work or came back if it was available before. I turned it on in my profile but don't see a way to PM you.

Leave a comment:

• J.P.M.
    replied
    Originally posted by bourbonbro
    I just found out this forum has a PM function... you need to activate messaging under your profile settings. Shoot me a msg.
    When did PM's come back ?

Leave a comment:

• bourbonbro
    replied
    Originally posted by Link101ooh
    Sorry, I should have specified that I was asking bourbonbro for his installer since he said N. Cali. I've only received 6 quotes so far and did not actively pursue these companies. They reached out to me. Very first company quoted Panasonic. I didnt request those panels, that's what they were pushing. 2,3,4 were Sunpower guys. 5 was all over the phone and I requested the Panasonic to get apples to apples comparison. May go back to them and ask for other options. Last one offered CSun (economy), SilFab (standard), Solaria (premium). This was just via email and need to research that company more. The last quote was around $3.00/W but quoted monthly payment for finance was more than my cheapest sunpower quote. Need to run the numbers because don't know how their monthly is coming out higher.
    My quote was all cash. You should be able to get much closer to $3/watt for low 300s wattage panels that have a good warranty. My E19 320s were the very last of inventory. I wasnt stuck on Sunpower, just knew I had max of 21 panels i could fit and what kwh i wanted to offset as my sweet spot. Having an EV makes my % bill offset lower than most but i spend so little on the other kwh its a wash. Not sure if I can post the installer. I just found out this forum has a PM function... you need to activate messaging under your profile settings. Shoot me a msg.
    Last edited by bourbonbro; 03-19-2018, 12:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bourbonbro
    replied
    Originally posted by J.P.M.

Long story, but since you ask:, one more retelling with feeling:

1.) Sunpower is good stuff. Never said otherwise - right from the beginning.
    2.) Sunpower is way overpriced, overhyped and oversold. Never said otherwise.
    3.) Sunpower tells half truths and preys on the solar ignorant, using that ignorance to screw the ignorant and separate them from their assets. Never said otherwise. That's no different than other peddlers or outfits. But, IMO only, S.P. has almost raised it to an art form.

One possible and short answer may just be that I have more time than money and more money than brains.

Some of the rest of the (perhaps alternate) story:

In 2012 I bought 10,000 sh. of Sunpower stock @ ~ 4.50/sh. dollar cost average over about 4 months and 1,000 sh. Tesla @ ~ $23/sh. with an unexpected pension buyout from a former employer. Found money. I finagled both around into my Roth IRA. I then sold 1,000 sh. S.P. 2 yrs. later out of the Roth at ~ $36/sh. and paid for the array and some, at the time required, roof work. FWIW, I chickened out on the TSLA and bailed at ~ $159/sh. Tesla and Musk suck, but this is business, not social awareness.

I got the S.P. because it was bought and paid for with appreciation on found money. I also wanted to see for myself whether or not my suspicions about all decent panels being mostly equal in terms of output and fit for purpose quality. I got S.P. on the logic that it was probably good stuff, but primarily because most folks who own S.P. are clueless about what may be needed to verify or disprove S.P. claims, even anecdotally. Also, I figure most folks who got duped and drank the S.P. Kool-Aid about "most efficient" and all the other crap that S.P. spews would never admit to same performance from less costly equipment even if they knew how to figure it out. They'd look stupid in their own eyes. Then too, I don't expect S.P. to be forthcoming. So, as usual, I'm on my own, with the big advantage of being beholdin' to no or anything.

Over the last 4.5 + years, my array has met expectations. It is fit for service. No question. So are all of the other 125 or so arrays in my HOA, S.P. and others. Comparing other arrays' output in my HOA to mine, performance is about equal once corrected for orientation, regardless of panel. Comparing my array's output to nearby arrays per PVOutput, the outputs are about the same once adjusted for orientation, regardless of panel. One mod/poster (Sensij) has had 2 non S.P. arrays. All of his outputs match mine to what to me seems like a surprising degree on a daily and often hourly basis. As best as I can guess, we're about 25 miles apart. Orientations are quite similar.

Bottom line: I got S.P. because I could afford it, I wanted to satisfy my curiosity. I learned a lot. I now get to speak some truth to B.S. 1X/awhile, and feel the numbers I use can be substantiated. My array is marginally cost effective, but not by much and that's OK. If I did PV with optimum cost effectiveness in mind, I'd have waited until about 18 months ago before NEM 1.0 expired and haggled a quality deal for maybe $3.25 - $3.50 /Watt on a 3.6 kW non Sunpower system and replaced about 80 % or so of my usage with PV, which is, as best as I can figure it, is my sweet spot for cost effectiveness and lowest lifecycle cost to supply my electrical needs based on my assumptions about the future as best as I can SWAG them.

IMO, there is little, if any justification for ever spending extra time or $$ for Sunpower equipment. I've had the luxury of time and a few bucks to satisfy my curiosity. Think of it as pro bono work for the clueless.

Take what you want o the above. Scrap the rest.
    Figured you had quite a story to tell I work with drug reps for a living and whether to add their drugs to the hospital formulary so I'm used to sniffing out B.S every day from them on why I should buy their $10,000 drug when a generic works great for $10 for my patients. All marketing always has some sort of sensationalism and slight falsehoods, otherwise it wouldn't be attention grabbing. I can completely relate to your cynicism.

Leave a comment:

Working...