Grants Only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grants Only

I'd like to accumulate here and also receive some really current direct grant information.
    Federal and State tax credits and rebates and perks don't do me a bit of good.
    What would work for me is public or private grant funds to
    recoup the cost of my system which is 60 days away from install.
    I'm also hoping that the info will really help all who are plugging in to panels.

I've explored a bunch of sites including Federal agency sites and haven't
    seen anything useful for the residential systems.

In Maryland for example, there's only one grant program and that's through
    the Maryland Energy Assistance program. It's for $1000 max
    and has stipulations that are typical but the most critical is that the installer
    be certified by NABCEP; North American Board of Certified Energy Practioners.
    My installer is so that's not an issue.

My concern again is to simply recoup some of the total $ cost.

Any info posted that can be investigated will get my results posted.

negatron

Good luck, if you haven't spent time on the DSIREUSA.ORG site you might want to but seriously doubt you will find what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by peakbagger View Post
      Good luck, if you haven't spent time on the DSIREUSA.ORG site you might want to but seriously doubt you will find what you want.
      Dsireusa will list everything. Check out the MD SREC market which will help
      OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Thanks guys.
        Been to both spots a few weeks ago.
        I wasn't impressed.
        No paydirt.
        Kind of a first place to look.
        I'll take another look tomorrow when there's time.

Comment

Went back to dsireusa.org today.
          wasn't much there to help the residential upgrader before.
          not much there today.

Comment

5 years ago, maybe. What is your installation going to cost? Maybe you still have room to negotiate, effectively earning your own grant.
            Last edited by sensij; 05-23-2017, 10:42 AM.
            CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

sensij posted:
              5 years ago, maybe. What is your installation going to cost? Maybe you still have room to negotiate, effectively warming your own grant.

Warming my own grant?????? huh?

44 JA300 panels
              2 Sunny Boy TL 5000 inverter
              misc parts
              design plans
              installation

about $23k
              grand exact total just not final.
              Last edited by negatron; 05-23-2017, 10:46 AM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

It was an auto correct typo, fixed before you posted.

Price looks high for DIY, but low for a paid install. Are you subcontracting out some of the work?

Comment

Family member who's a mechanical engineer found a deal on leftover panels from a project.
                  Got inverters from Renvu.
                  Local installer gave me his design firm in NJ
                  Sunrise Solar in Chestertown MD will bring electrician and manpower do the install.
                  Not much rocket science but a good learning experience and good payoff/return investment

Comment

Ok, sounds about right then. Sorry I don't have any suggestions to help, but at that price, you are already way ahead of most on cost effectiveness.

Comment

If you have normal job with predictable income you can effectively advance the 30% federal rebate from next year to this month by changing your withholding by adding dependents on your W-2. This is legal and the government even encourages it.on W-2s. Note they do not allow this to be done when you file your taxes in April 2018 and will prosecute you when they catch you if you claim extra dependents on your tax form.

Its not that tough to figure out your anticipated income in 2017 minus the 30% rebate and calculate what withholding rate you need, then adjust the number of dependents upwards to decrease weekly withholding. This gets you the cash now in the form of higher paychecks. Its pretty basic tax planning but if you don't understand it make sure you do before you do it. Obviously if you don't get the installation approved and online in 2017 and end up under withholding you may end up paying uncle sam a penalty for under withholding. I have done this in the past and then do a true up in December to make sure I calculated correctly and if need be send a check to make up the difference if I am short withholding. Note if you are one of these folks who like lending your money at zero interest to the government so you get big tax check in April you may not want to use this method. I personally want to end up owing uncle sam a small amount every year
                      Last edited by peakbagger; 05-23-2017, 04:35 PM.

Comment

With the SRECs you can get an advance payout from some brokers like Solsystems or sell them over time:

https://www.solsystems.com/srec-cust...kets/maryland/

Comment

[QUOTE=peakbagger;n350784]If you have normal job with predictable income

Nope, old & grey with fixed income these days.
                          Just working a 5 year plan and decided to go with a PV system and forget about a deck and a pool.

[QUOTE=peakbagger;n350784]Note if you are one of these folks who like lending your money at zero interest to the government so you get big tax check in April....

Not I; but people still do that I know.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post
                            With the SRECs you can get an advance payout from some brokers like Solsystems or sell them over time:

https://www.solsystems.com/srec-cust...kets/maryland/

Now that is really interesting info and I'll dig a bit deeper into it to get the fine print.
                            What happens in Maryland's legislative session every year is amazing and there are experts
                            at analyzing it; just beyond my intelligence level.

I'd like to see what all the output data from my system looks like over
                            1 full year and make a decision.

Comment

Originally posted by negatron View Post
                              I'd like to see what all the output data from my system looks like over
                              1 full year and make a decision.
                              We generate full year monthly production and 25 year annual production models with Aurora for our customers

Comment

Working...
                              X