• Show
Clear All

• Enphase or Suniva

DIY project in SoCal LADWP

LG 315 with Enphase S280
    or
    Suniva 275 blemished with Enphase M250

About .50/watt difference

Going on a Single Gable roof with a 22 degree pitch (17 Ideal for location) facing south with a measurment of 62' x 10.5' with only one vent pipe near the ridge. Slight tree shading is possible.

I was thinking of 16 portrait or 20 landscape. Landscape just has double the roof pentrations.
    Last edited by jetsurgn; 03-16-2016, 06:26 PM.

For net metering with a south azimuth, tilt = latitude is usually ideal. For SoCal, figure that is around 30-35 deg. Use PVWatts to estimate output for your specific location.

For me... if space isn't a constraint, I'd be looking for a panel less expensive than the LG315 but of higher quality than a "blemished" Suniva. Maybe halfway in between on price.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Sensij - Thanks so much for your reply. So your saying the Sunvia blemished panels is not a good deal at .79/w and the LG panel is to much at 1.19/w. Might I ask what panel you recommend? What is reasoning behind not liking the Suniva panel, just trying to learn. Thank you!

Comment

What does a blemish mean? What is the price of an unblemished Suniva panel? Panels from Canadian Solar, SolarWorld, and other reliable manufacturers can be had for less than $1/W.

Comment

Sensij - Thanks for getting back to me.
          Suniva 275w Mono Black new costs 265 - 303.00
          Or blemished for 217 each

Comment

Renvu has several pictures of the blemishes. I've got a couple scuffs in the AR coating in my panels from rough handling during installation, and the effect on overall power produced is negligible. Some of the pictured panels look moderately affected, and I don't know what the black stuff is on the backside. If you want all-black mono, it doesn't look like a bad gamble to me. Especially DIY, if you find a problem later, you will be capable of replacing the panel yourself, so not really a big risk.

Comment

I have heard a few good things about Suniva panels but I myself have had very negative experienced about Suniva customer services. I can't call them, no one is answering, and if you leave a voicemail no one will call you back, and if I write an email you will get an automated reply about 48 hrs responding time and ended up no returned email at all.

I do want to support Suniva Solar, USA made, and priced out very well, but at this rate their company will collapse soon there you go your 25yrs warranty.

Check before you decided.

If you have had better experience will them, please kept me know how. Because I am about just to give up on them.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Dndpos View Post
                If you have had better experience will them, please kept me know how. Because I am about just to give up on them.
                Their customers are primarily distributors and other entities that move large quantities of panels. Why are you trying to reach them? By the time a panel gets to a homeowner, there isn't much to do. I wouldn't expect much service from any of the panel companies, to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by sensij View Post

Their customers are primarily distributors and other entities that move large quantities of panels. Why are you trying to reach them? By the time a panel gets to a homeowner, there isn't much to do. I wouldn't expect much service from any of the panel companies, to be honest.

Well, I called Sunpower, solarworld, etc...they pick up the call and answer my questions just fine. As one of the leading Solar producers, especially MADE IN USA, logo. Anyway, it is the principles of business that they are lacking, I mean I do like them, but man...you can't have that kind mentally in America.

Comment

Originally posted by Dndpos View Post

Well, I called Sunpower, solarworld, etc...they pick up the call and answer my questions just fine. As one of the leading Solar producers, especially MADE IN USA, logo. Anyway, it is the principles of business that they are lacking, I mean I do like them, but man...you can't have that kind mentally in America.
                    They are not doing business with you. They have distributors and resellers. try calling GE about your water heater, or Rheem about your heatpump. They are not set up to deal with residential presales support, thats why they have contracts with big box stores, distributors, etc.

My only issue with Suniva is unreliable supply chain, last year we sold quite a bit of their product and had to change them all out due to unavailability.
                    The supply of product IS their primary business.
                    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

I have (34) Suniva OPT260-60-4-1B0 panels paid $244 apiece for them back in March of 2013 and no issues whatsoever. Consistantly getting output of about 85% rating at peak time of day. Which works with the Enphase 215's that I have paired with them. Don't know there current status as far as supplies go but seems to be well built and trouble free at least so far.

Comment

Working...
                      X