X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Steve C
    When I first inquired on this forum about the saving a PV system could offer, you, JPM, suggested that a solar system was only the 3rd best option to saving money.
    it should come only after:

energy conservation (less AC, less lights. etc)
    more efficient appliances (converting to LED's, whole house fan, variable speed pool pump, etc).

I admit that I am only in it for the $$$ savings and have done both of the above seemingly reducing my bill by 20%. Are you suggesting that a solar system would not be a valid addition to my savings plan?
    Without putting words into JPM's mouth I believe he feels that before you install a large pv system to handle your electric loads you should first do all you can to reduce what you use (items # 1 & 2).

Then if you are still want to reduce your electric costs, the size of your pv system to reduce your bill will be smaller and hopefully have a better payback.

To JPM, Please let me know if what I have stated is incorrect.
    Last edited by SunEagle; 10-21-2015, 12:14 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Steve C
      When I first inquired on this forum about the saving a PV system could offer, you, JPM, suggested that a solar system was only the 3rd best option to saving money.
      it should come only after:

energy conservation (less AC, less lights. etc)
      more efficient appliances (converting to LED's, whole house fan, variable speed pool pump, etc).

I admit that I am only in it for the $$$ savings and have done both of the above seemingly reducing my bill by 20%. Are you suggesting that a solar system would not be a valid addition to my savings plan?
      Since you ask, not at all. Just not the first thing done - if at all.

Actually, I'm not suggesting any particular action(s) by my post to this thread with respect to validity of anyone's choices - only observations about what is, IMO only, the miserable state of affairs with respect to residential PV as the result of what seems to be almost ubiquitous ignorance.

On my prior post that you refrence, when put in general, simple broad categories I usually suggest, in some order: Use less (turn stuff off for God's sake, or don't get /start it in the first place), take measures that result in less waste and more efficient use of what is then a reduced load (conservation measures), and, only then carefully consider R.E (PV in this case) to supply as much of that already much reduced load as makes economic (and thus) environmental sense.

Being in it only for the money is not bad (as some tree hugging hypocrites would perhaps sneer at me and imply). It's reality. Not only that, but I've observed if I save money on an electric bill using measures generally in the above order, I usually do the best for the planet. I believe that has something to do with entropy so I'm somewhat confident in that opinion.

As for what you, or anyone else may do: Not my house, money, life, decisions, etc., and therefore not for me to pass judgment on validity. Nor do I care much, and also since this is still a free country (??), but just as another observation, and since you ask, it seems to me that you, like most - me included - usually forget the first and most cost effective means to reduce an electric bill - turn stuff off !.

Most folks who have PV are throwing money at a perceived problem that's self inflicted. Fine to me, as above - not my life, etc., but still sad. I'm only offering the opinion that there are usually better ways to achieve the lower electric bill goal, and folks are usually too ignorant to know and too mentally slothful to find out.

As usual, take what you want of the above. Scrap the rest.

Comment

• silversaver
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2013

JPM,

We always get good suggestions from you. I'm just wondering how your bill looks like it? Are you a net user? Your solar has been up and running for about 2 years now, I'm sure you got those infor handy.

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by silversaver
          JPM,

We always get good suggestions from you. I'm just wondering how your bill looks like it? Are you a net user? Your solar has been up and running for about 2 years now, I'm sure you got those infor handy.
          And, to the extent there's any good to be found in any of it, such good has little or anything to do with the idea that I may not necessarily practice what I preach. nor did I ever imply such.

For many reasons, I am not a net user. I am a surplus generator. 2 years up/running as of 10/17/2015. Some of the reasons are somewhat convoluted and have nothing to do with cost effectiveness.

My system is NOT cost effective. Perhaps one difference between me and most other users is I believe I knew precisely what I was doing, why I was doing it and the consequences of my actions. Also, Most folks are in a different situation than me.

For those who may care: A short foray into my personal life for the purpose of full disclosure. One of the short reasons I'm a surplus generator using Sunpower equipment: I chose to be.

About 3+ yrs. ago, knowing (SWAGing really) that at the time I was ~~ 1 yr. away from a solar array, I bought 10,000 sh. of Sunpower stock from an unexpected (windfall ?) pension buyout @ ~ $4.50/pop. I rolled it around into my Roth IRA, then, sold 1,000 sh. a year+ later to pay for the array and roof remediation with the (at that time) stock appreciation. Somewhat ironically, the approx. dollar cost av. share price I paid for the S.P. stock and the price/Watt I paid for the array were ~ the same: $4.50.

I bailed on the rest about 5 months ago. Sunpower stock appreciation paid for my entire array by about an order of magnitude over the cost of the array before ITC.

One big, but not only reason I bought Sunpower STOCK was because I felt they had the best chance of price appreciation due the their observed superior ability at B.S.ing the public along with the public's solar ignorance. The perfect storm. It's just business. Got nothing to do with what may, IMO, make sense for the majority.

For me, it's more time than money and more money than brains.

Comment

• Steve C
            • Jul 2015

Originally posted by J.P.M.
            And, to the extent there's any good to be found in any of it, such good has little or anything to do with the idea that I may not necessarily practice what I preach. nor did I ever imply such.

For many reasons, I am not a net user. I am a surplus generator. 2 years up/running as of 10/17/2015. Some of the reasons are somewhat convoluted and have nothing to do with cost effectiveness.

My system is NOT cost effective. Perhaps one difference between me and most other users is I believe I knew precisely what I was doing, why I was doing it and the consequences of my actions. Also, Most folks are in a different situation than me.

For those who may care: A short foray into my personal life for the purpose of full disclosure. One of the short reasons I'm a surplus generator using Sunpower equipment: I chose to be.

About 3+ yrs. ago, knowing (SWAGing really) that at the time I was ~~ 1 yr. away from a solar array, I bought 10,000 sh. of Sunpower stock from an unexpected (windfall ?) pension buyout @ ~ $4.50/pop. I rolled it around into my Roth IRA, then, sold 1,000 sh. a year+ later to pay for the array and roof remediation with the (at that time) stock appreciation. Somewhat ironically, the approx. dollar cost av. share price I paid for the S.P. stock and the price/Watt I paid for the array were ~ the same: $4.50.

I bailed on the rest about 5 months ago. Sunpower stock appreciation paid for my entire array by about an order of magnitude over the cost of the array before ITC.

One big, but not only reason I bought Sunpower STOCK was because I felt they had the best chance of price appreciation due the their observed superior ability at B.S.ing the public along with the public's solar ignorance. The perfect storm. It's just business. Got nothing to do with what may, IMO, make sense for the majority.

I agree with SilverSaver regarding your seemingly insightful responses (not advice or suggestions, as you remind us). And THANK YOU big big for taking the time to do so as most of us (especially myself), have very little clue about this industry.

That being said, sometimes, in your effort NOT to give advice (completely understandable), you seem to sometimes talk AROUND a questions.

Comment

• silversaver
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2013

Originally posted by J.P.M.

Thank you. their STOCK is definitely a good choice when $4.5 per share. Just the same as I bought FMCC when they are penny

Comment

Working...