X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MikeSolar
    Solar Fanatic
    • May 2012

Originally posted by Mike90250
    Kailfornia is controlled by green washing idiots, that want rainbow powered, plug in cars for everyone who needs a car (actors, movie industry employees) everyone else - take the bus.
    haha, sure but so is parts of Europe, and they seem to be able to do it. How is their grid different than ours (we are told that the Ontario grid cannot work with all the solar (BS in my opinion))?

Comment

• russ
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by MikeSolar
      haha, sure but so is parts of Europe, and they seem to be able to do it. How is their grid different than ours (we are told that the Ontario grid cannot work with all the solar (BS in my opinion))?
      Do what? The German solar percentage of total generation is very low - no matter how much money they have thrown at it and they are losing the solar industry as well.

Denmark has some decent wind though they export much of the power generated for storage in other countries and then reimport it at other hours.

Excessive amounts of unreliable or fluctuating RE is problematic for the grids - well documented.

You formed the opinion of BS based upon feelings I suppose.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• KRenn
        Solar Fanatic
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Sunking
        Sales tax in TX are no t high, about average. Sate sales tax is $.0625 and with city county around 8% which is only slightly higher than national average. However no sales tax on groceries and medicine, and low gasoline and electricity tax. Only tax that can be high depending on county or city is property taxes. But we have no state income tax and extremely low corporate taxes.

You want high sales tax...come to Arizona...it some places it exceeds 13%.

Comment

• KRenn
          Solar Fanatic
          • Dec 2010

Germany right now is investing a fortune into coal power plants to replace their current existing nuclear power. They've pulled back on most solar incentives and symbolically there have been a lot of giants such as Bosch that have exited the solar industry. What's happening was inevitable once these incentives pulled and with the tariffs....and now newly set fines on Chinese manufacturers, that's essentially thrown a wrench into the works of the entire global solar industry. The Chinese solar manufacturers were the source of pricing pressure, to keep the price of panels dropping regularly, one way or another, without that, pricing will first of all, necessarily increase..and then get stagnant. Neither is helpful to solar's long-term viability.

Comment

• KRenn
            Solar Fanatic
            • Dec 2010

So, what is the difference between Germany, Denmark and California......just an older grid and outdated equipment or something else?

Not sure what you mean by a difference? Germany's solar industry was driven almost entirely by incentives, as in most places, the German government is no longer willing to push those incentives and as a result, solar has fallen off a cliff there...the government still "supports" it, however tepidly, but they are pushing coal as a major source of energy going into the future, they encourage solar, but in spirit, not financially.

One thing has remained the same worldwide, as incentives explode, solar installations explode as well, when incentives come back down to earth, solar is essentially diminished.

Comment

• SoCalsolar
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jun 2012

The game aint changing

Not the best article I've seen on the state of electrical costs in CA. Rather alarmist but many of you bought it hook line an sinker.Check out the home page and you will find the usual inflammatory talking points the teachers unions, high speed rail, but curiously he didn't mention the six figure prison guards who routinely get busted for having sex with prisoners and smuggling in drugs and cell phones. Not that I disagree but the article is very short on facts. First of all San Onofre has been shut down for over a year. Last year passed and there were exactly zero black outs. The high prices are 98% greed and 2% renewables. The IOUs (investor Owned Utilities) have guaranteed profit margins annually of about 5%. They either need to increase prices, efficiency, etc. No one involved in the decision making process has an interest in lowering costs. The system is rigged and renewables is the price paid for the rigged system (spreads the wealth a bit and creates a warm and fuzzy exterior). The larger portion is the pension plans and ever escalating salaries of the employees of a monopoly.

There is no incentive to run more efficient when you are a monopoly. Along with the billions in taxes this monopoly creates due to its profits, and I should mention the millions in political campaign contributions made by the monopoly. SDG&E has guaranteed revenues in 2012 of 1.73 billion. SCE 5.7 billion in revenue. PG&E gets a little over 15 billion for 2012 this all adds up to the budget of the state of New Mexico. The reason for high electrical costs in CA is greed by all those involved in the decision making process. Every other small reason is a red herring, renewables, low income, the rich buying solar, San Onofre. See the wolf sheep. The game ain't changing we are still getting played as suckers.

Comment

• russ
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2009

Originally posted by SoCalsolar
                The game ain't changing we are still getting played as suckers.
                A few facts mixed with a rant? Never blame it on the CA voters that keep the loony bunch in office but blame it on investors?

Demand goes up and too little generating capacity added due to stupid laws and equally stupid greens. Getting harder and more expensive to import power.

Just a few months back CA was wanting to not import power from AZ for political feel good reasons?

Rant all you want but too much that "supports"the rant is smoke and mirrors mixed with populist blather.
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• SoCalsolar
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jun 2012

yes its the voters fault...

Yes its the voters fault and so is Benghhazi, The IRS scandal, the deficit, Iran Contra, Watergate, Iraq, the PSK, the PKK, the Armenian Genocide, the Holocaust, the list of voters mistakes just goes on and on. Yes, I agree with you Russ there should be more populist revolts. I will restate for the record and the thick headed my opinion on this message board of why costs for electricity are so high in the state that I live and work in (the energy field by the way) just as it appears in my previous post.

" The reason for high electrical costs in CA is greed by all those involved in the decision making process."

Everyone else is free to armchair blame at whomever they wish. Whether they armchair it from international waters or within the greatest country in the world

Comment

• russ
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by SoCalsolar
                    Everyone else is free to armchair blame at whomever they wish. Whether they armchair it from international waters or within the greatest country in the world
                    Hi Clown - I was born in Seattle, WA in 1945 and have worked around the world since 1978. Still carry an American passport - along with a Turkish one - knock of the jingoistic baloney.

I happened to decide to retire where I liked the rules better - that gave me a choice of about half of the world. To many politicians in both parties trying to dictate what happens.

When you try to fool yourself it is not good! I like the US just fine but a lot of people would argue your greatest line - and correctly so. It used to be without a doubt but then so was England at one time.
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...