Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

The game's a-changing in California

There have been many forecasts of possible rolling blackouts in California this summer due to a shortage of power from the shutdown of the San Onofre nuclear power plant and the instability of a green power grid due to hourly weather fluctuations.Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe! But the most likely scenario for California for the summer …

excerpt:
    CA to See Shocking Electricity Rates This Summer
    May 16, 2013 By Wayne Lusvardi

There have been many forecasts of possible rolling blackouts in California this summer due to a shortage of power from the shutdown of the San Onofre nuclear power plant and the instability of a green power grid due to hourly weather fluctuations.

But the most likely scenario for California for the summer of 2013 is electricity price shock, especially for those moderate-income households that run air conditioners during the hot days in the Central Valley of California.
    Article goes on about how the low income consumers are subsidized by higher rates on "regular" consumers (middle class)

There isn’t much that policy makers are doing to lessen rate shock for the most affected. Installing older technology like evaporative “swamp” coolers in older homes could reduce peak month power bills by 80 to 90 percent. At least with a rooftop swamp cooler a homeowner gets both clean, fresh air and low C02 emissions.
    But California public policy more promotes contrived solar jobs programs and energy cost shifting onto renters and older homeowners, than helping them to reduce rate shock. And renters in older apartment buildings will mostly be left to bake for the summer of 2013 unless they can install cheaper window air conditioners and isolate themselves in one room.
    And then the nifty rate chart: (sorry I could not get the table to come out right - go read the original for a great laugh)

How energy pricing and usage system works in California

Electricity usage rates are approved every three years in California for customers living in areas served by regulated electric utilities, Pacific Gas & Electric, Southern California Edison and San Diego Gas & Electric. Each regulated utility has tiered rates depending on how much power is used in order to conserve power.

But customers in cooler climate zones have lower usage base baselines while those in hotter climate zones have higher usage baselines. By allowing more use of electricity in hotter areas at relatively lower rates, those most affected by hot weather can afford to run their air conditioners more hours each month.

The way the tiered usage system works can be seen in the table below. PG&E customers living in hot Merced in the summer months are allowed to use twice as much power at the same rate as those who live in cooler San Francisco.

How California Sets Rates for Customers of Regulated Electric Power Companies
    Tier 1 Baseline Tier 2 Tier 3 Tier 4 Tier 5
    Up to baseline 101-130% 131-200% 201-300% 300%>
    Rate per kilowatt hour 13 cents 15 cents 30 cents 34 cents 34 cents
    San Francisco (cooler) 0 to 225 kilowatt hours 226 to 293 kilowatt hours 294 to 450 kilowatt hours 451 to 675 kilowatt hours 676+ kilowatt hours
    Merced (warmer) 0 to 513 kilowatt hours 514 to 667 kilowatt hours 668-1026 kilowatt hours 1027 to 1539 kilowatt hours 1540+ kilowatt hours
    Source: Little Hoover Commission, Rewiring California, 2012, p. 40.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Mike90250
    http://www.capoliticalreview.com/top...s-this-summer/

excerpt:

Article goes on about how the low income consumers are subsidized by higher rates on "regular" consumers (middle class)

And then the nifty rate chart: (sorry I could not get the table to come out right - go read the original for a great laugh)
    Maybe they better get another Nuke plant back on line or figure out how to generate electricity from all that "people energy" coming out of LA.

Comment

• Ian S
      Solar Fanatic
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by SunEagle
      Maybe they better get another Nuke plant back on line or figure out how to generate electricity from all that "people energy" coming out of LA.
      Well, the San Onofre plant is the real culprit here. Faulty steam generators and lots of finger pointing.

Comment

• centralCalsolar
        • May 2013

This is not good news but all that much more reason to get my solar in. The sad part is that I need to live in our new house to get a baseline of where we are at in usage during the worst part of the year

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

FWIW Mike this is not directed at you or anyone in particular.

Well what have I been saying for the last three years about California failed Energy Policy. The morons decided to quit building conventional plants and go with Renewable. The house of cards is about to fall. 20 years ago when California decided to quit building conventional plants and go green they imported roughly 10% of their electricity. Today after 20 years of failed policy they now import roughly 30% and pay some of the highest electric rates in the USA.

All I can say is I told you so and you got exactly what you asked for. So enjoy it.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• russ
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Ian S
            Well, the San Onofre plant is the real culprit here. Faulty steam generators and lots of finger pointing.
            Not to mention a lot of loony greens playing obstructionist.
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• bonaire
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Sunking
              FWIW Mike this is not directed at you or anyone in particular.

Well what have I been saying for the last three years about California failed Energy Policy. The morons decided to quit building conventional plants and go with Renewable. The house of cards is about to fall. 20 years ago when California decided to quit building conventional plants and go green they imported roughly 10% of their electricity. Today after 20 years of failed policy they now import roughly 30% and pay some of the highest electric rates in the USA.

All I can say is I told you so and you got exactly what you asked for. So enjoy it.
              They should consider energy penalties for high draw places like data centers. Put them in other cooler states like Washington and use high speed telecom to interact. We are doing some work for a SF based company which is directly across the street from PG&E. they have a couple data centers in the area but almost all employees work remote from them. One example of one that could go out of state. Data centers are a bane to energy use now. Systems are over engineered and over sized in almost all companies now. To manage data for a company of a few million customers shouldn't take thousands of hosts and hundreds of disk arrays.
              PowerOne 3.6 x 2, 32 SolarWorld 255W mono

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

.......All I can say is I told you so and you got exactly what you asked for. So enjoy it.
                Ha, I'm about the only loon in kalifornia that thought the break-up of Generators and Suppliers was a bad idea. And then the nuts decreed that 30% must be renewable power. And the wind is blowing on the house of cards.....
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

Ha, I'm about the only loon in kalifornia that thought the break-up of Generators and Suppliers was a bad idea. And then the nuts decreed that 30% must be renewable power. And the wind is blowing on the house of cards.....
                  hold on to your hat. Hopefully the loonies don't come looking for the people that were prepared for the house falling down.

Comment

• Sunking
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Feb 2010

Yeah Mike I know, not directed at you personally. Besides you are off-grid and isolated. Only I woul dhave done different in your shoes is sold out in CA and moved to TX. You could have built a castle and lived off the proceeds for what you sold your home for in LA. No taxes here.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

• russ
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jul 2009

No taxes here.
                      Only the sales tax the visitors get stuck paying! In Houston that ads up real quick!
                      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Sunking
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by russ
                        Only the sales tax the visitors get stuck paying! In Houston that ads up real quick!
                        Sales tax in TX are no t high, about average. Sate sales tax is $.0625 and with city county around 8% which is only slightly higher than national average. However no sales tax on groceries and medicine, and low gasoline and electricity tax. Only tax that can be high depending on county or city is property taxes. But we have no state income tax and extremely low corporate taxes.
                        MSEE, PE

Comment

• russ
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jul 2009

Just that for a tourist you typically pay national catalog price plus roughly 8%.

It worked - they got the money and I got back on a plane.
                          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• MikeSolar
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • May 2012

So, what is the difference between Germany, Denmark and California......just an older grid and outdated equipment or something else?

Comment

• Mike90250
                              • May 2009

Kailfornia is controlled by green washing idiots, that want rainbow powered, plug in cars for everyone who needs a car (actors, movie industry employees) everyone else - take the bus.

Comment

Working...