DIY solar storage tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY solar storage tank

Thinking of wrapping a round 8 foot dia. metal wall tank with 1/2 inch foil faced polyiso rigid board to 4 inch thickness. Probably have to score outside face to get curvature on the tank. Question is will R value go up or down with this configuration?

Originally posted by RegSass View Post
    Thinking of wrapping a round 8 foot dia. metal wall tank with 1/2 inch foil faced polyiso rigid board to 4 inch thickness. Probably have to score outside face to get curvature on the tank. Question is will R value go up or down with this configuration?
    Scoring is not likely to have a measureable or noticeable effect on the R value at that tank dia., or more accurately not with a major dia. to minor dia. ratio close to one as that application will be. At that tank dia., and insulation thickness, you may not need scoring at all. I'd try a section and see. I'd suggest making sure the seams on the insulation layers do not coincide, and don't use duct tape - it won't last. Lastly, depending on tank max. expected/design temp., don't forget to consider and account for tank expansion which will be very approx. 3/16" to ~ 1/4" on the circum. for ~100 deg. F. temp. change, so "per-compress" or snug fit the insulation a bit without buckling it.

Comment

I use 2 layers of Reflectix bubble wrap with the aluminum tape on the seams. Available in 4 or 5 ft widths x 50ft roll.

Comment

Working...
      X