Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IlzeGreene
    • Aug 2012

400W HPS Equivalent

Lots of companies are talking about equivalents with LEDs these days. Because there is really no standard that the industry observes I've seen some pretty unrealistic claims. As a rule of thumb for a street light, you can use about half the energy with LED versus HPS to get to the same minimum foot candles (light on the ground). So strictly speaking you would need a 175W - 200W LED. This is huge load for solar.

Because good LEDs use optics that spread the light effectively, you can also mount the lights at a lower height so that you lose less light reaching the ground. You get less contrast, puddles of light, and that will improve visual acuity as well. If you have really good optics in the fixture.

High color temperature LEDs (cool white versus warm light) also offer a much whiter light than HPS, improving visibility with less light. Because of this, you might consider using a lower light level overall. For example: if your light currently is lit to a 1FC average with a minimum of .2FC, try lighting the whole lot at minimum .5FC average.

You don't have to figure it all out yourself. Reputable solar lighting companies can provide recommendations based on the Illuminating Engineers Society (IES) and help you to design an effective layout.
    Parking Lot - LOS.jpg
    Last edited by Naptown; 08-31-2012, 02:08 PM. Reason: Removed obvious advertising plug If you would like to advertise contact user jason

Comment

• billvon
      Solar Fanatic
      • Mar 2012

Originally posted by IlzeGreene
      Lots of companies are talking about equivalents with LEDs these days. Because there is really no standard that the industry observes I've seen some pretty unrealistic claims. As a rule of thumb for a street light, you can use about half the energy with LED versus HPS to get to the same minimum foot candles (light on the ground).
      The best HPS lamps are more efficient than the best LED lamps. (150 vs 94 lumens per watt.) If you really want to go for efficiency, low pressure sodium can hit 200 lumens per watt. Which, of course, is why they are used for street lighting so often.

you can also mount the lights at a lower height so that you lose less light reaching the ground.
      Not really true. You lose effectively zero light from the instrument to the ground unless you have very heavy fog or something.

High color temperature LEDs (cool white versus warm light) also offer a much whiter light than HPS, improving visibility with less light.
      "Whiter" light actually reduce luminous efficiency, because your eye is most sensitive to greenish-yellow light (555nm). The extra light emitted by "white" (i.e. blackbody spectrum) lamps is less effective. Thus the ideal light source when it comes purely to sensitivity would be a monochromatic greenish-yellow source. This is why low pressure sodium lights are so effective; all their emission is around 590nm, and thus it's radiating very close to the color we can see most easily.

Of course there are other considerations like being able to see color (so you can tell a fire truck from a regular truck for example.)

Comment

• lesliemorris85
        • Dec 2012

This series arrangement works well until one of the bulbs burns out or is removed from the socket. Even LED strings of Christmas lights can fail if one bulb in the circuit burns out, especially if the string is wired in series, not parallel. It is always a good idea to keep spare bulbs available for last-minute emergencies.

Comment

• justjun
          • Dec 2012

400W must be very light, consumption is also great.

Comment

• lesliemorris85
            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by justjun
            400W must be very light, consumption is also great.
            Yeah, maybe...

Comment

• woundedeagle
              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by jward166
              I was wondering if anyone here knows of any companies out there that manufacturer LED street lighting that could substitute for a 400W HPS fixture at 30+ feet?
              Even until now, there are still a lot of problems in LED street lamp products line, do think carefully before you decide to try it
              We just concentrate at LED lighting

Comment

• woundedeagle
                • Jan 2013

I was wondering if anyone here knows of any companies out there that manufacturer LED street lighting that could substitute for a 400W HPS fixture at 30+ feet?
                You can source some manufacturers located in Shenzhen,China
                We just concentrate at LED lighting

Comment

• daz
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • May 2012

Hi There.
                  I am not sure if you have found something suitable yet, as this thread is a few months old. I am not sure where you can get the LED lighting from, as I assume you are in the US?

With regards to the required wattage though, I can try help. Over here we have started changing all our street lighting to LEDs a few years ago, and alot of mining/mineral companies are using LED lighting (for area lighting). As an example, one of our mines changed thier 400W HPS lamps that they used for area lighting, to 160W LED lamps.
                  The 400W HPS lamps were mounted on concrete plinths 10metres high (about 30ft), and about 64metres apart (there were 15 of them in total). The 160W LED lamps provided the same amount of lighting (roughly 600sqm).

With regards to sourcing your LED lamps, be very careful of Chinese manufacturers/suppliers, as there are a lot of inferior products available. You may be attracted to cheaper prices but it is not always worth it. That old saying "you get what you pay for" is definitely true!

I am sure that for street lighting though, you could use a lower wattage maybe? Anyways, I hope I was able to help!

Comment

• lesliemorris85
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by woundedeagle
                    Even until now, there are still a lot of problems in LED street lamp products line, do think carefully before you decide to try it
                    Can you give us some examples or situations with this kind of LED problems? because I already love LED lights honestly.

Comment

• lesliemorris85
                      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Seecol
                      There are lots of manufacturers are there but in market SEECOL has a good name.

Mode note - this is the 2nd time you have posted links.
                      Why don't just give us the list of their products.

Comment

• russ
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by lesliemorris85
                        Why don't just give us the list of their products.
                        Why? They want to advertise they pay. You can find more LED products than you can count with simple search.
                        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• YS LIU
                          • Feb 2013

I agree

I agree,solar can be ass by wind,so 200W LED lights is ok.
                          Originally posted by IlzeGreene
                          Lots of companies are talking about equivalents with LEDs these days. Because there is really no standard that the industry observes I've seen some pretty unrealistic claims. As a rule of thumb for a street light, you can use about half the energy with LED versus HPS to get to the same minimum foot candles (light on the ground). So strictly speaking you would need a 175W - 200W LED. This is huge load for solar.

Because good LEDs use optics that spread the light effectively, you can also mount the lights at a lower height so that you lose less light reaching the ground. You get less contrast, puddles of light, and that will improve visual acuity as well. If you have really good optics in the fixture.

High color temperature LEDs (cool white versus warm light) also offer a much whiter light than HPS, improving visibility with less light. Because of this, you might consider using a lower light level overall. For example: if your light currently is lit to a 1FC average with a minimum of .2FC, try lighting the whole lot at minimum .5FC average.

You don't have to figure it all out yourself. Reputable solar lighting companies can provide recommendations based on the Illuminating Engineers Society (IES) and help you to design an effective layout.
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]2256[/ATTACH]

Comment

• carl.louie
                            • Feb 2013

I am not sure, but you can try as call or email them with your query.

Mod note
                            If you want to advertise contact the user Jason.
                            Nest ad link and you will be banned.
                            Last edited by russ; 02-19-2013, 09:46 AM.
                            [URL=http://www.briteecolite.com/]LED Light[/URL]

Comment

• Aric Dyson
                              • Apr 2013

Try to search some information that regards on this matter actually, there are several kind of companies who manufactured this kind of LED Street lighting. But this time I want to have some exact information of which kind of LED light you are going to use.

Comment

• solarIdiot
                                • Apr 2013

Why don't the mods get rid of these posts. I just went through 8 pages of "mod not contact user name Jason"
                                I thought this thread would be use full.
                                I should stick to the stickies I guess

Comment

Working...