Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • russ
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2009

Actually the previous poster is apparently a salesman/woman that does not know what they are selling - there are reasonably well defined standards if one wants to search the net a bit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

Originally posted by elisa123
      Yes, what you mean is color temp, but the temp of the light.
      Actually, different factories have different stardards for the color temp.
      Some just use warm white, day white and cool white to define the color. Also the factory can make the kelvin according to your need. There don't seem to have a Unified stardard.
      Actually, there is, it's KELVIN, and you even reference it. The "names of color" also are pretty standardized too. warm white = 2700K
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• sam31
        • Oct 2011

LED lights

We put LED lights in our recessed cans in the kitchen and dining room. Cree LR-6 lights are what we went with. As far as I have been able to find, they are the only commercially available LED lights with excellent color rendering (CRI> 90). They are expensive though - about $90 per light. There are many discussions about LED lights in the lighting section of the forum. Good luck!
        Last edited by Naptown; 10-08-2011, 12:45 PM. Reason: removed link

Comment

• jki21
          • Nov 2011

LED lights

I currently work for a company that does architectural outdoor lighting and street lighting. Right now I'm overseeing their LED projects. As it stands there are a couple of problems when trying to integrate LED's into street lighting.

First of all we are having major overheating issues when trying to retrofit existing street lamps to make them accept LED technology. To manage overheating LED's are under driven to 1 watt per LED since LED's become more efficient with lower drive currents.
          solunagreen.com
          Mod note - Forget the soluna green link
          [/URL]
          Last edited by Mike90250; 12-08-2011, 09:41 AM. Reason: broke the link

Comment

• joyjiang77

I know a little about LED light

Originally posted by Crumb
            Well their fly-by-night hackery saved me from your designs, and spending quite a bit of money. It's very telling that you are a government engineer and that explains everything I need to know about the value of your information. Welcome to my ignore list. It's been fun.
            I know a little about LED light.Which country you'd like to know?
            Last edited by russ; 12-08-2011, 06:19 AM. Reason: removed link

Comment

• joyjiang77

I know a little about LED light

Originally posted by jward166
              I was wondering if anyone here knows of any companies out there that manufacturer LED street lighting that could substitute for a 400W HPS fixture at 30+ feet?
              which country you'd like to know? Mod note - Forget the link
              Last edited by russ; 12-08-2011, 06:16 AM. Reason: removed link

Comment

• davetherave
                • Dec 2011

Led

Originally posted by jward166
                I was wondering if anyone here knows of any companies out there that manufacturer LED street lighting that could substitute for a 400W HPS fixture at 30+ feet?
                Try ROBUS they make heavy duty LED units, i have an LED wall washer, it makes the garden look like a spaceship!
                they are heavy duty and extremely robust!

Kind regards

Comment

• dogsbody
                  • Aug 2011

LED lighting issues

I am astonished to read of "overheating" problems with LED lights. On of the reasons why LEDs are so efficient as compared with incandescent lights are that they converts almost all the current to light, producing virtually no heat, as compared to incandescents where heat is a major by-product

Comment

• criuslight

I think grow lights are usually used for indoor gardening, plant propagation and food production, including indoor hydroponics and aquatic plants. Although most grow lights are used on an industrial level, some small-scale/domestic usage of these lamps has also been found. Mod note - forget the spam links
                    Last edited by russ; 12-08-2011, 09:15 AM. Reason: removed link

Comment

• john p
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Oct 2010

Dogsbody. believe it,overheating IS a problem with LEDs. Due to their very small size its difficult to get the heat away from ones above 3w. That is why they have to be mounted on heatsinks. Failure to mount them on an adequate well ventilated heatsink will reduce their life dramatically.

Comment

• dogsbody
                        • Aug 2011

I am corrected. Most of the LEDS which I have used are about 125 milliwatt. I did not know that they had cranked them up to over 3 watts. In that case I can fully understand that they would need heatsinks, because diodes tend to change their properties when hot! (Like not work)

Comment

• jiajaye
                          • Feb 2012

The countries where summers season comes longer and hotter than winter Season.I think that Led Bulb dont work well there.That is why we dont find for LED bulbs in those countries
                          Last edited by Naptown; 02-29-2012, 01:30 PM. Reason: Nice try on sneaking in a link If you want to advertise contact our sponsor Solartown

Comment

• russ
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jul 2009

Just put LED lamps along the drive and was curious about power consumption.

The lamps are to provide light for walking and do that nicely. There are 9 lamps with 6 LED each and 1 with 12 LED.

Power consumption is 0.29 to 0.3 amps at 230 volts or about 69 watts for the 66 lamps.

I am quite happy with the arrangement.
                            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• dazarooney
                              • May 2011

Sounds good Russ.
                              Last edited by dazarooney; 09-03-2012, 06:35 AM.
                              [url]http://www.ecoledlight.co.uk/[/url]

Comment

• inetdog
                                Super Moderator
                                • May 2012

Originally posted by dogsbody
                                I am astonished to read of "overheating" problems with LED lights. On of the reasons why LEDs are so efficient as compared with incandescent lights are that they converts almost all the current to light, producing virtually no heat, as compared to incandescents where heat is a major by-product
                                If you have 25% efficiency from an LED (beyond what is currently available in most frequencies) that still means that you are dissipating three times as much power as you get out in the form of light. Also, there will be some amount of additional heat loss in the driver / current control circuitry.

25% is extremely high relative to incandescent (hovering around 2%) though!
                                SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Working...