Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solar outdoor chandelier stopped working.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar outdoor chandelier stopped working.

Hi all,
    Brand new here, and in desperate need of some help/advice. My wife bought an outdoor solar chandelier which I installed and which has been working fine. I took the light down in order to do some reno work under the overhead deck, and in order to do this I had to cut the wire from the solar panel to the light fixture. Put the light back up and it does not work.
    1. Batteries in the unit, 2 x 1.2v both test fully charged on multimeter which suggests solar panel is working
    2. Connection to the round plug -in on the inside of the panel reads 3.58v...unable to check the outlet on the outside.
    3. End of cut wire with the plug plugged into the panel reads 0.0v....suggesting that there's a problem in the wire or connection
    4. The chandelier has 6 LED bulbs, all filaments are good and all ballast connections are good.
    There are no specs anywhere on the light, , and yes, I have made sure the on/0ff switch is in the ON position. I'm concerned that the problem might be in the circuit board, but all soldered connections appear solid.
    Any help or advice on this would be appreciated....I have been trying to fix this for over a week, and at $160 I would prefer to fix rather than replace. Could I use just any small solar panel wire connector to try and see if its just the wire or connector?

Thanks.

I have no idea what these lights look like. Brand and model number?

Comment

It's made by Paradise Solar LED Chandelier # GL39066 .....of course sold in a big box store and made in China. I've looked online for the company but no luck. I have some photos but when I try to attach I get "error while uploading"

Comment

You might try logging off this website and rebooting your computer. I just uploaded .pdf, .tif, .jpg without issues. I know it has been a problem in the past.

Comment

Tried that.....still getting "Error uploading image"...have no idea what the issue is.

Comment

40 odd views and only one response....hmmmmm....maybe in the wrong place.

Comment

Originally posted by trooper1954 View Post
              40 odd views and only one response....hmmmmm....maybe in the wrong place.
              Maybe. Or, maybe it's just that the right person hasn't seen it (yet).

FWIW, I bet there's not a lot of demand or knowledge about outdoor solar chandeliers out there.
              Similar to solar feng shui, seems like it might be a somewhat specialized branch of alternate energy.

BTW, welcome to the neighborhood even if though there seems to be a dearth of solar exterior decorators around here.
              53 views and counting.

Comment

Here's another attempt at loading photos of the offending chandelier....seems to have worked.
                Solar Light 2.jpgSolar light 3.jpgSolar Light.jpg
                The outlet at left upper is the rear of the plug in and reads 3.58v.....the second photo is the other end of the wire to th chandelier.....reads 0.0. Must this then be a fault in this wire?

Comment

These outdoor devices often suffer from corrosion so minor it often can't be seen. A meter isn't much of a load, I would measure the voltage with the lamp connected. My wife has a LED flashlight she keeps bringing to me saying it needs new batteries. I just unscrew it, let the battery carrier drop out a little and then just screw it back together. Wife thanks me for the new batteries! These contacts are brass and look just fine. A little mechanical movement creates a new connection.

I would remove those batteries and give the contacts a light sanding and reinstall. Is there a photo switch that might inhibit this from working in the day? LED are polarity sensitive. Maybe the wires are reversed. Check where the wire connects to the circuit board. Anything that might be related to a mechanical disturbance. Many are stymied because they can't accept the impossible has occurred. You need to keep your mind open and follow the evidence. Some simple things have often thrown me for a loop. Electrons always know what they are supposed to do. I always loved repair for the challenge.

Comment

Thank you so much PNPmacnab.....I will disconnect the circuit board from the solar panel, and if you don't mind will post the readings at each connect on the circuit board. I'm not good with electrical stuff so hopefully with that info you may be able to tell me what the problem might be. I'll post a photo with the readings included. I suspect perhaps the on/off switch may be the issue.
                    Thanks again

Comment

Circuit board.jpg
                      #3 Panel to board #.4v in sunlight
                      #4 board to on/off switch 3.08v
                      #5 at on/off switch 0.0v...at board #2 2.8v

I'm thinking there should be power at the switch?
                      Thanks for any help.

Comment

That should read 3.4v in sunlight

Comment

and #1 reads 3.4v

Comment

PNPmacnab is right about these cheap circuits. When checking connections and solder joints, don't forget to check the connections between the circuit board and batteries and between the batteries.

I have found those coaxial DC power plugs to be pretty temperamental, especially ones used outside. Just the slightest position change can cause an open circuit in some instances. Especially with contact corrosion/wear.

How long has this light been in service before you did the renovation and cut the wire?

I have done some research and surmised the batteries are Paradise brand AA NiMh. I'm not sure if this is good or bad.

Thoughts on the switch:

If the switch is closed, then there should be no voltage drop across the contacts. In other words, the multimeter would read 0.0 VDC (unless you have high contact resistance at the switch).

Flip the switch to the other position and take another voltage reading.

I'm an ME so I may not know what I'm talking about......

Comment

I guess final question on this thread....is .75v going to six bulbs sufficient to power them?
                              Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X