Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solar powered LED Strip for home lighting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar powered LED Strip for home lighting.

Anyone try before?

LED strip for home lighting?

Is it advisable?

Depends on the use and what you are trying to illuminate.

I am off to visit a supplier about using some of these for drive illumination - in this case a very low level of light is perfect (for walking really) and they will only be in use for a few minutes per day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

indoor lighting

i used tri chip led tubes. they are very bright and draw very little power. i got them from http://www.oznium.com/tri-chip-led-tube
      heres a pic showing how bright they are.
      http://www.oznium.com/gallery/miscellaneous/indoor/2102
      Never under estimate the power of hard work. In time something magnificent happens. Dreams are only dreams if you don't push forward. Have a productive day. Tomek.

Comment

Nope, my LED Strip more bright than this.
        I will post up my house photos after I fine tune them this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by cyberfast View Post
          heres a pic showing how bright they are.
          Pictures don't mean squat, lumens and light color is the real deal and no picture will tell you that.

Looking at the specs you linked too tells the story. The most efficient model is the white, consumes 4 watts and emits 78.2 lumens measured at 1 neter inside the 140 degree focus angle. That yields an efficiency of 78.2 / 4 watts = 19.55 Lumens per watt. Certainly not anything to brag about because even an ole Edison incandescent bulb beats that at 20 to 30 Lumens per watt with a 360 degree angle which means 350% more efficient. Cheap china made CFL's chime in around 50 to 60 Lumens/watt, and the king of interior lighting efficiency is T5 florescent tubes at 100 Lumens/watt
          MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
            Pictures don't mean squat, lumens and light color is the real deal and no picture will tell you that.

Looking at the specs you linked too tells the story. The most efficient model is the white, consumes 4 watts and emits 78.2 lumens measured at 1 neter inside the 140 degree focus angle. That yields an efficiency of 78.2 / 4 watts = 19.55 Lumens per watt. Certainly not anything to brag about because even an ole Edison incandescent bulb beats that at 20 to 30 Lumens per watt with a 360 degree angle which means 350% more efficient. Cheap china made CFL's chime in around 50 to 60 Lumens/watt, and the king of interior lighting efficiency is T5 florescent tubes at 100 Lumens/watt
            listen dollar for dollar what do you want and with my setup everyone that seen it in real life loves it. plus its free energy already paid it self off after 2 years and running strong everyday. try one and you will be impressed. plenty of light for the house running with 40 watt system ran for a week without power from the panels (and still had power before i connected it back up) and t5 draw on start up every time.
            Never under estimate the power of hard work. In time something magnificent happens. Dreams are only dreams if you don't push forward. Have a productive day. Tomek.

Comment

Originally posted by cyberfast View Post
              plus its free energy already paid it self off after 2 years and running strong everyday. try one and you will be impressed. plenty of light for the house running with 40 watt system ran for a week without power from the panels (and still had power before i connected it back up) and t5 draw on start up every time.
              Ran for a week with no electrical connection? Not bad!

The T5 is a real lamp - these are special purpose toys. My home office is illuminated by 1 each 50cm (18'') T5 tube - it would take a load of LED chips to do the same.

LEDs are great for certain applications but for general lighting they are not yet ready for prime time. Getting there as the big boys (Osram, GE, Philips etc) get into the market - maybe another 10 years.

Russ
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

@ cyberfast

If you are happy, I'm happy
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

I have came cross this store and purchased a whole reel of white and warm white LED tape strips, slim and can fit everywhere.

Moderator note - a Hong Kong based supplier - better to be honest!
                  Russ
                  Last edited by russ; 06-28-2011, 12:41 AM. Reason: removed link

Comment

possible to post the photo up?
                    to show how bright it is?

Comment

Originally posted by stanly View Post
                      Sure you can all you need is a image hosting site, then use the IMG code. However a picture does not mean anything because either you or the camera is going to either open up the F-Stop, or lengthen the shutter time to get the correct or over exposed picture. You can be in a candle lit room and make it look light blinding light.
                      MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by stanly View Post

U mean do I have photo?

Comment

Yup

Comment

ohhh sorry, I don't have and I tried to copy from that website but it wouldn't let me..
                            the one i ordered is xxxxxxxxxxx but in pics u can't tell how bright a LED strip is

Your IP address is Hong Kong?
                            Last edited by russ; 06-28-2011, 05:49 AM. Reason: removed link

Comment

I m a believer if the lights you are using look bright enough for you then they are perfect. if it can be done with a few simple LEDs then thats fine if you want ugly flouros that are way to bright for most interior house rooms buy some T5, and create just about daylight.
                              Who has a clue what a chandelier with 16x10w minature bulbs output is measured at the sitting position at the back of the room?
                              I am a believer that measuring light in lumens for home use is irrelevant.

Husband come home say to wife "I think we should increase the living room light from the present 68 lumens to 96 lumens "
                              Wife replies "yes that would be good,and I measured the lumens in the bathroom today the figure is only 58 could you improve that to 67 lumens?

Comment

Working...
                              X