Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solar powered LED Strip for home lighting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by john p View Post
    Husband come home say to wife "I think we should increase the living room light from the present 68 lumens to 96 lumens "
    Wife replies "yes that would be good,and I measured the lumens in the bathroom today the figure is only 58 could you improve that to 67 lumens?

Lumens are a good engineering term - useless for discussions with other than lighting experts as you explained quite nicely!

Russ
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by brunosmith View Post
      ohhh sorry, I don't have and I tried to copy from that website but it wouldn't let me..
      the one i ordered is xxxxxxxxxxx but in pics u can't tell how bright a LED strip is

Your IP address is Hong Kong?

Yes, I live in HK. any problem? I'm not from HK tho but I'm here

Comment

Originally posted by brunosmith View Post
        Yes, I live in HK. any problem? I'm not from HK tho but I'm here
        No problem though I did remove your advertisement link.

Russ
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
          No problem though I did remove your advertisement link.

Russ
          It's fine

Comment

Is your source regulated?

If the source is regulated, any 12VDC frexible strip will do very well. The store I work in sells the heck out of it 'cause it is cersatile, dimmable and easy for beginners to work with.

Comment

The CRI index for the husband of a tetrachromat is still not good enough.

My next job will be to create a RGB 3 channel LED circuit board with 3 or 6, 1 watt LEDs so I can mix the colors to get true white, that dims to an amber color, like incandescents do.
              Last edited by Mike90250; 07-28-2011, 07:04 PM.
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by LEDJohn View Post
                If the source is regulated,
                There is a problem, regulators use power.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                  There is a problem, regulators use power.
                  Then with that logic, I assume that if there is no regulation then replacing the blown LEDs is .....acceptable? Not for my money!

Comment

Originally posted by rgs03833
                    That is one of the few articles I have read that did not try to sugar coat the efficiency and used real numbers including the driver power consumption. Probable not stated in terms laymen will catch or understand, not does the article point it out th efficiency is in a range of 24-50 l/w. To put that in terms most can understand is it is only slightly better than a plain ole incandescent Edison bulb, and less than CFL. It falls way short, 24 to 50% of fluorescent tube types which come in @ 100 l/w.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

Yep looks like Blue Light Pollution to me.
                      MSEE, PE

Comment

Looks a little to blue for me.. I would use ones that are closer to white . but not those yellow looking "soft white".

Comment

They only looked a little BLUE on PIX, but if you notice on top of the AC Power Plate, the Plate is White which the LEDs does make it White. You don't see it in real life...

By far i'm a lot happier than the CFL Bulbs

CFL Bulbs = HOT inverters and FIRE maybe? = YUCK!
                          I have both and lost two LEDs due to overheating - probably cheap ones (not cheap to buy unfortunately).

I have yet to lose a single CFL the past four years - proper installations in two new homes. All T5 florescent lamps are doing fine. Incandescents only used for motion activated lamps and have replaced one bulb there.

I plan to install driveway illumination (very low level) using LED fixtures in the near future - will be interesting to monitor them for power consumption and all.
                          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

CFL Bulbs = HOT inverters and FIRE maybe? = YUCK!
                            What are you talking about? Nothing should be hot.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

Well mabe in theory nothing should be hot.. but I have felt some cheap CFLs and the base is too hot to touch.. I have found Philips ones to run the coolest.

Comment

LED Strips Lights provide business and home owners with a wide range led strip offer innovative and cost effective ways led strips are economical, environmentally and far less expensive to maintain than traditional lighting options.
                                Last edited by russ; 09-07-2011, 12:00 PM. Reason: removed link

Comment

Working...
                                X