X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oregon_phil
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2019

I am glad that you are contacting Generac to follow up on system voltages being higher than specification voltages. Generac set the max voltages for a reason.

One additional request please. Please post the wiring diagram if possible. Obscure any private information (like name, address, etc.) before posting.

I assume you have one battery cabinet. The inverter has 4 DC inputs for batteries and solar panels. One input is taken up by the battery cabinet.

Somehow your installer configured your six strings into the three DC inputs remaining at the inverter. Your installer may or may not have paralleled strings together before the PVLink.

It's important to understand how the strings are configured so we can see if paralleling and amp limitations are being followed for all devices.

Also show which string/PVLink is causing you grief on the drawing.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

• oregon_phil
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2019

After even more digging, I found the Generac installer tool set. The PVLink sizing tool can be found by searching "cce-installer-resources/system-sizing-tools" on the Generac website.

I ran just the PVLink sizing tool for Maxeon 3 410 420 W panels using 420 as a guideline. See the attachment Generac Sizing tool. When panel Voc is entered, the PVLink sizing tool shows an error (Chose another panel). Panel Voc too high for SnapRS. PVLink is meant for use with 60, 72, 96 cell solar panels. This particular Maxeon 3 solar panel is a 112 cell solar panel.

I'm thinking your installer did not run the Generac sizing tool kit and/or assumed all Maxeon 3 panels are the same cell count. My cursory web review of Maxeon 3 cell counts range from 104 to 128. I have yet to find a Maxeon 3 with a cell count of 96 or lower. I'm trying to say, so far, I can't find a Maxeon 3 solar panel that will work with the PVLink sizing tool without throwing an error.

Attached Files

Comment

• Rade
        • Aug 2023

Originally posted by oregon_phil
        Please post the wiring diagram if possible. Obscure any private information (like name, address, etc.) before posting.

Thanks in advance.
        I appreciate the input but I am going to say no. Our system was designed by a reputable system architect, installed by a licensed electrician for Generac and then inspected by our Town electrician, also licensed and finally approved by our regional electric service provider. The system has a substantial warranty and is fully monitored and managed by Generac. If something breaks, I have one phone number to call.

This diagnostic discussion is getting too in the weeds for me.

Thanks, everyone.

Rade

Rade Radosevich-Slay
        Tiverton, RI

Comment

• oregon_phil
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2019

I respect your decision. Getting to root cause is always fraught with numerous questions.

Comment

Working...