X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

many places will design the solar system for you for free or low cost
    www.renvu.com
    www.upwork.com has solar designers for $100 to $200
    I would put together a system for you for free.
    or you can just post on facebook forums BUT

if you aren't concerned about getting a 26% tax rebate, and you only use 450kw/month, why the heck are you looking at solar?
    19380 zip code in PA has rates quoted from 7 cents to 14 cents.
    do you have a large public utility with good net metering terms? Might take 5 years to break even
    DO YOU HAVE A TINY CO-OP ELECTRICITY COMPANY WITH CRAP NET METERING RATES? you might die before you brake even.

if you are serious, post what you pay per kwh and the net meterig terms of your provider.
    pm me your address and I'll give you some ball park.
    I think you have to change profile settings to send Private Messages. this forum is locked down tighter than a prison.

Comment

PECO - Got solar? Learn about Your Net Metering Bill - YouTube
      I think this is your utility provider? 7.1 cents per kwh. pretty cheap!

Comment

pvwatts says 5358kw/year which is $381 dollars. for a 4kw solar array.
        DIY cost will be around $4300 which means ($4300/$381) 11.3 years to break even assuming electricity prices do not rise and you do not take advantage of solar tax incentives.
        if you factor in those incentives than about 8 years to break even.

over 25 years youd make about $5000 for your $4300 investment, 6% return on your investment if you die before 11 years then value is zero.

http://pvcalc.org/PVcalc?scale=1&t_u...ndex_linked=0&

link above has all the numbers
        you can change cost to $740/kwh instead of $1000 to see benefits of tax rebate. top of 2nd collumn.
        scroll past red formatting errors to see numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by khanh dam View Post
          pvwatts says 5358kw/year which is $381 dollars. for a 4kw solar array.
          DIY cost will be around $4300 which means ($4300/$381) 11.3 years to break even assuming electricity prices do not rise and you do not take advantage of solar tax incentives.
          if you factor in those incentives than about 8 years to break even.

over 25 years youd make about $5000 for your $4300 investment, 6% return on your investment if you die before 11 years then value is zero.

http://pvcalc.org/PVcalc?scale=1&t_u...ndex_linked=0&

link above has all the numbers
          you can change cost to $740/kwh instead of $1000 to see benefits of tax rebate. top of 2nd collumn.
          scroll past red formatting errors to see numbers.
          Thanks for the candor and comments. To answer about the tax rebate- I have too many dependents and deductions and don't make enough money to even have to pay income tax (it's nothing to brag about- it's just the way it is) Poverty.

I got a price for a 5kw system from Alt E (great people and helpful too) which is about $8,500 delivered. Upon reflection, so to speak, the cost is too high for what I'd get in return and praying for longer, sunny days isn't realistic. If installed, my property taxes will go up and so will homeowners insurance. Combine that with a certain component failure rate and the need to replace parts it's not likely the system would pay for itself (but most things in life don't anyway).

But....it would be fun to do it but not a necessity.

Now, another idea might be just a simple system of panels charging a golf cart battery and then drawing power from the battery to run simple appliances- like computers.

Please tell me any other considerations your fellas might have about this matter- it's always helpful.

Peter

Comment

not being able to take advantage of a 26% tax break, makes it hard to justify.
            a 5kw system shouldn't cost more than $5500. you can shop around, but what's the point if you can't save 26%?

Comment

not being able to take advantage of a 26% tax break, makes it hard to justify.
              a 5kw system shouldn't cost more than $5500. you can shop around, but what's the point if you can't save 26%?
              I suspect you're correct- the initial idea wasn't for tax saving but for contingency against long term power outages similar to what happened in Texas.

$5,500 for a 5 kw system would be much better...but you get what you pay for...so it seems.

Might be better just to see how the Amish live and copy them. Even for a hand well pump (not some piece of junk) the price's about $1,000 and that won't easily pressure a house water system!

Thanks,

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by pda1 View Post

I suspect you're correct- the initial idea wasn't for tax saving but for contingency against long term power outages similar to what happened in Texas.

$5,500 for a 5 kw system would be much better...but you get what you pay for...so it seems.
                I do not think you will get many hours of backup and a 5kW system for $5,500. A small generator or portable battery with inverter could keep refrig cold plus run some lights for a day. I would not make any investment without understanding what your critical loads are. You would want to be able to support your loads for a reasonable time.
                Last edited by Ampster; 03-05-2021, 02:29 AM.
                9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Originally posted by pda1 View Post
                  Might be better just to see how the Amish live and copy them. Even for a hand well pump (not some piece of junk) the price's about $1,000 and that won't easily pressure a house water system!
                  ROI is 6% without tax credit and 10 %with tax credit. 10% is pretty good ROI. 6% is just ok. if you have a trusted family member on the home deed they can technically take the tax credit for you.

Comment

if you have a trusted family member on the home deed they can technically take the tax credit for you.
                    They would have to be the one that purchased the system. The tax credit applies to a purchase of solar equipment. I don't know if they have to be on the deed as well, it just needs to be their residence as far as I know.
                    Last edited by Ampster; 03-07-2021, 01:16 PM.
                    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

ROI is 6% without tax credit and 10 %with tax credit. 10% is pretty good ROI. 6% is just ok. if you have a trusted family member on the home deed they can technically take the tax credit for you.
                      That's pretty good but I don't understand where of how you determined those figures. A 6% return would be pretty good and acceptable but there are too many variables.

The problem then becomes one of cost of equipment and the need for replacement. Given the nature of electronics, the environments they'd be subject to and their reliability I'd suspect 25% or more of the system will fail in a 10 year, or shorter, period of time.

I'm learning more and more, sort of, about the entire process which is very beneficial. For some humor, This notion has been reinforced thoroughly; "if you're willing to spend money, anyone will promise you the world and take your money."

Thanks for the help fellas.

Peter

Comment

Working...
                      X