X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IMHO , big brands come and go. When they lose interest they rarely retain any responsibility. They just sell the business to some other firm and let the other firm go out of business. Most panels are only in production for a couple of years, few if any firms are going to stick old models of their panels. The dimensions and color will not match. At most if one of 20 or 30 panels on the roof do fail you might get a prorated check to cover part of the cost of that one panel. Unless you search Ebay for used panels of that particular model you either try to match it with something close and guaranteed if will stick out like a missing tooth. Otherwise you leave the dead panel in place and live with the lower output. Lot to be said to buy a spare panel or two and putting them someplace safe.

Inverters on the other hand tend to have a ten year life, usually you can buy an extended warranty which is roughly the wholesale cost of new inverter. so you are paying someone to keep a spare on the shelf for ten years. Most commercial arrays plan on one inverter replacement during the 20 year life. The systems are depreciated to zero value at 20 years. They may still be functional but usually there is another round of inverters replacements and the original investor usually moves on.Mot commercial arrays are less than 20 years old so what really happens in 20 years is a big unknown. Many are installed on leased land and the field reverts to the landowner at the end of the 10 year lease. Take a look on Ebay and there are several firms selling large blocks of used panels from out of service arrays and my guess is many are nearing 20 years.. They are usually pretty careful not to zoom in on the data plate enough to see the manufacture date. .

Comment

I'm in luck. The part of my roof getting the panels is not visible from the ground. I would be fine with unmatched panels going on. One less thing to worry
      ​​about.

I'm getting an 18.36kwh system and I think my main concern is it won't be big enough. I have been very vigilant about my electricity use and want to relax on that significantly. I want my house to be comfortable instead of always too hot or cold.

I'm getting a new high efficiency hearing and cooling system so hopefully that helps.

The system covers 113% of my current usage. And I believe I am limited to that in terms of what the utility will allow.

Comment

I'm getting an 18.36kwh system and I think my main concern is it won't be big enough.
        I googled your approximate location and guessed your power company is Con Ed. I did a little digging in their brochures and found that residential systems 25kW and under will have little push back from the company. While I'm not an electrical person, I believe your biggest problem will be getting all that power (18.36kw ) from your house to the grid. It is my understanding that in general, each 200 amp service is limited to a 7.7kW inverter due to various deratings etc. So you would need a 400 amp service or three phase power to push 15.4 kw back to the grid because your are net metering. I'm not sure too many homes have 400 amp or 3 phase power. You could use panel orientation and/or battery storage to help resolve this situation, but you mentioned that you weren't using a battery and had single SW panel orientation. I said I wasn't an electrical person and am open to discussion/opinions on this.

I want my house to be comfortable instead of always too hot or cold.
        You could invest in $250 in a seek thermal heat camera for your phone to help with heat loss detection. You feel too hot or too cold because the thermal profile of your home varies too much from room to room and within a roof. Those windows that you don't want to replace are a huge thermal heatsink in the winter and heat source in the summer.

Comment

how are you being vigilant if your bill is +$400? do you use electric heat in your home right now? genuinely curious how people with that high of a bill are being vigilant?

Comment

insulated shutters for your 14' long windows. Energy Efficiency at Birken Forest Monastery 2017 - YouTube

Comment

It's actually more like $700/month when taking into account oil for heat. And that is for living in an uncomfortable house. If I wanted to be comfortable you are probably talking closer to $1500 month.

That's cost of living in a big old house facing the hudson River. The solar and high efficiency heat pump system should help.

I am against using shutters on the window because I like an open bright house . I think the next step for me would be to add more insulation to the attic.

Comment

shutters are only used at night when it's dark out. if the windows are leaky, more insulation won't do much.

Comment

Originally posted by Cshama View Post
                  It's actually more like $700/month when taking into account oil for heat. And that is for living in an uncomfortable house. If I wanted to be comfortable you are probably talking closer to $1500 month.

That's cost of living in a big old house facing the hudson River. The solar and high efficiency heat pump system should help.

I am against using shutters on the window because I like an open bright house . I think the next step for me would be to add more insulation to the attic.
                  The first, probably one of the most effective in terms of comfort level, and far and away the most cost effective measure to be effected in an older home in a cold, cloudy climate is to button it up and reduce the amount of air exchanged between inside and outside the dwelling, followed by careful insulation of the building envelope.

Most folks attack a high electric bill the way you've done it - and that's entirely backwards if cost effectiveness and common sense have any bearing on the exercise - by doing the most expensive way to reduce an electric bill first, that is, by throwing expensive solar at a high bill.

As for living in an old house in a cold climate, I lived in and retrofitted a home built in Buffalo in 1928 and reduced the gas and electric bills by ~ 2/3 without any active solar energy measures. I added a passive sunspace and only knocked off ~ 15-20 % of the remaining (and lower) bill. I got the total annual energy usage down to ~ 9,000 kWh/yr. equivalent for space heat, water heating, light, cooking, clothes drying and other electricity use.

BTW, one measure that was quite effective was thermal shutters that were used at night.

Suggestion: download and read a free PDF of "Solar Power Your Home for Dummies". Or, spring for ~ $25 and get a revised version at Amazon or book stores.
                  You need an education. Pay particular attention to the chapter dealing with conservation measures.

Take what you want of the above. scrap the rest.

Comment

Working...
                  X