X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cshama
    • Jan 2021

Just got a local company quote for the same system. $24k for a 18.36kh system. Same specs as tesla for $4k more.

They also have their own teams that install instead of subcontractors. Tempted.

As for energy conservation. I have a 4500sf house that leaks like a sieve. It would be very hard to insulate it. I am upgrading the hvac system however

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

Have fun with your money. And I hope you don't need to sell the house before the lease is up
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• khanh dam
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2019

why does it leak? buy better windows if the windows leak, most people never open them anyways.
        sorry saying it would be hard to insulate sounds like a cop out.

you really think your local company will be around longer than a big company like Tesla?

Gigantic solar companies go out of business all the time. Smaller ones are even worse. The companies I bought my solar racking and panels from are still around, but not in the USA, they will not honor any warranty either.

Comment

• Cshama
          • Jan 2021

I have 7 windows. Each about 14 feet wide and 5 foot tall.
          I've looked into replacing them but it's very expensive.

I may add more insulation.

I believe the Tesla warranty is probably better. But how long will it take before they actually honor it? I prefer local. The company in question is the biggest in NY so it's not tiny.

Comment

• Cshama
            • Jan 2021

Originally posted by Mike90250
            Have fun with your money. And I hope you don't need to sell the house before the lease is up

That is a great point.

Comment

• khanh dam
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2019

Originally posted by Cshama
              I believe the Tesla warranty is probably better. But how long will it take before they actually honor it? I prefer local.
              18kw system generates about $2000 a year, so they would have to take over 2 years of ignoring you before it was financially better to go with local company.
              do some research, into what actually fails on a solar install.
              #1 MC4 connectors, after 7 - 10 years
              #2 central string inverter after 8-14 years.
              #3 ground fault due to bad wirining, chafing, wear after several years.

then research what it costs to get it repaired if local solar company is no longer in business.
              $500 maybe more for any company to take their time to come fix your issues.

typical solar install might only need 2 service calls in its lifetime over 25 years.

get your hvac upgraded to over 20 seer, buy some clear polycarbonate and get sign shop to cover up your 14' long windows if they leak that much
              or just get a home energy audit for free from your utility company and do what they suggest.

but only do that if you want to save money, if you are fine with over spending on solar to compensate for over spending on electricity thats your choice.
              A Basic ROI calculation | PVCalc.org
              above site will calculate your ROI, as long as you move after you get the ROI you will be fine with any loan if you move before ROI you will wind up not really making much because most solar does not increase home value that much. especially if you live in some huge mc mansion that is already the most expensive home on the block.

Comment

• khanh dam
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2019

I prefer local. The company in question is the biggest in NY so it's not tiny.
                doesn't matter, the entire solar industry is dependent on the governement paying for 26% of the cost. If that is taken away in 7 years guess what happends? Tons of local company just fold up and quit. Tesla can't do that because their main business is cars and solar is a tiny portion of their business, but they are still on the hook legally to honro the warranty) Right now it supposed to expire in 3 more years. Even with the super low cost of solar panels and government rebate, it typically takes 7 or more years to break even and most people only live in a home 7 years which is why it does not make sense for so many.
                Last edited by khanh dam; 01-09-2021, 12:18 PM.

Comment

• bob-n
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2019

"do some research, into what actually fails on a solar install.
                  #1 MC4 connectors, after 7 - 10 years
                  #2 central string inverter after 8-14 years.
                  #3 ground fault due to bad wirining, chafing, wear after several years."

I'm not disputing this, but would love to see real data to back it up.
                  7kW Roof PV, APsystems QS1 micros, Nissan Leaf EV

Comment

• khanh dam
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2019

sorry do not have real data, but google solar failed, or solar needs fixed, or common solar mistakes and/or call a big solar installer like Titan, and talk to one of thier techs that do nothing but chase ground faults all day. Another big one is leaking roofs, but, that is not really a solar issue, more of a dumb mistake. Which is why I recommended metal seam roof with no penetrations using s5! connectors to rack.

Comment

• Cshama
                      • Jan 2021

It looks like one way or another I am getting a 18.36kw system for around $20k net from either a local company or Tesla. Hopefully the local company.

The pvwatts calculator says I will save $5k a year and it should take care of all my electrical needs. Every solar company analysis I have seen backs this up. My roof faces SW and it has no obstructions so hopefully these numbers are accurate.

In any case it looks like a 4 year payoff. Hanwha panels now have a 25 year warranty so I feel fairly comfortable about that although I know they are not the best.

I am definitely staying in my house for at least that long maybe triple that.

Is there anything I am missing before signing,?

Comment

• J.P.M.
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2013

It looks like one way or another I am getting a 18.36kw system for around $20k net from either a local company or Tesla. Hopefully the local company.

The pvwatts calculator says I will save $5k a year and it should take care of all my electrical needs. Every solar company analysis I have seen backs this up. My roof faces SW and it has no obstructions so hopefully these numbers are accurate.

In any case it looks like a 4 year payoff. Hanwha panels now have a 25 year warranty so I feel fairly comfortable about that although I know they are not the best.

I am definitely staying in my house for at least that long maybe triple that.

Is there anything I am missing before signing,?
                        Just read ALL the fine print, TWICE, and don't sign anything unless you understand ALL the terms used and their consequences. Remember: If it ain't in writing, it don't exist. Ignore verbal representations from peddlers.

Remember "Caveat Emptor".

As for Tesla, you've been warned.

Just to confirm: This is a purchase, not a prepaid lease, right ?

Good luck.

Comment

• Cshama
                          • Jan 2021

Yes it's a purchase. I actually just signed and feel confident I did the right thing. My payback is about 5 years and I've added 13% greater capacity then I'm currently using. I am also buying a new hvac system in the hope I can finally end up in a comfortable house.

Comment

• khanh dam
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2019

hanwha looks to be 5 years old according to their website. (EDITED TO ADD, I READ THE MERGER DETAILS WRONG)
                            panel manufactures come and go all the time. There are a dozen solar panel manufacturers that have been around for over 10 years and then there are solar manufacturers that only seems to be around for several years, and the names contstantly change, hard to keep up.
                            come back in several years and report if there are any issues

congrats on the solar install!
                            Last edited by khanh dam; 01-14-2021, 05:35 PM.

Comment

• Ampster
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jun 2017

Originally posted by khanh dam
                              hanwha looks to be 5 years old according to their website. Chances of them being around in 6 years I'd say are 50/50
                              This website?
                              https://m.hanwha.com/en.html?amc=cmp...saAgpHEALw_wcB
                              According to my research, their parent is Hanwha Group, a diversified company who has been in business 67 years. What in particular about their financial position caused you to reach that conclusion? Sales of over 60 billion in USD. It is hard to find any Korean companies older than that since they were a colony of Japan from 1900 to the end of WW2.
                              Before Hanwha purchased Q cells in 2012 from their German owners Q cells had some history that is worth noting. My installer used them on my install and I have no concerns. They were also used on a 50 kW system 4 years ago in a municipal installation I was involved in the decision making and recommendation to that City Council.
                              Last edited by Ampster; 01-14-2021, 03:17 PM.
                              9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• bob-n
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Aug 2019

I'm with Ampster on this one. Hanwha is going to be around.

It doesn't assure that they will support you or that they will have identical replacement panels if one fails 10 years out, but that wouldn't worry me.

Based on the little data we have, it is unlikely that most of your panels will be dead in 2031. There is a chance that one or three will fail between now and then. It's open for discussion whether that's a 5% chance or a 50% chance.

It's also possible that an inverter will fail. Again, we don't know the odds.

If three panels fail in 10 years and you have to buy and have installed replacements on your own money, it may look slightly strange, but not ugly. I good installer can match color and come close on size. Only you will notice the difference.

At today's prices, panels are under $200 each and labor is comparable, so having a $1200 maintenance bill after 10 years should be reasonable. We'd love it to be $0, but if everything lands "jelly-side down", it's still not too bad.
                                7kW Roof PV, APsystems QS1 micros, Nissan Leaf EV

Comment

Working...