X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle

Good point. I have been accused of having a short memory.
    Understood. Mine's getting shorter by the day. Seems like yesterday was last year.

Comment

• insaneoctane
      Solar Fanatic
      • May 2012

JPM, Ampster, et al,

Thanks for the helpful replies.
      I'm already on TOU (TOU-D-A)
      I also already own 1 EV.
      I believe I have the lowest super off peak rate in So Cal at $0.14/kW (sounds high to non-CA folk) with my rate plan. I also have decent solar arbitrage due to peak rates (10am-8pm) being 4x and off peak (8am-10am & 8pm-10pm) being 2x
      I can figure out the impact of a forced plan change... but I'm not as familiar of what I lose when forced to NEM 2.0

Comment

• Ampster
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2017

Originally posted by insaneoctane
        JPM, Ampster, et al,

Thanks for the helpful replies.
        I'm already on TOU (TOU-D-A)
        I also already own 1 EV.
        I believe I have the lowest super off peak rate in So Cal at $0.14/kW (sounds high to non-CA folk) with my rate plan. I also have decent solar arbitrage due to peak rates (10am-8pm) being 4x and off peak (8am-10am & 8pm-10pm) being 2x
        I can figure out the impact of a forced plan change... but I'm not as familiar of what I lose when forced to NEM 2.0
        As far as I know you do not lose any choices in rate plans unless time has run out on a grandfathered plan. NEM 2.0 adds Non Bypassable Charges to the mix. These amount to $0.025 per kWh on every kWh that you drawn down from the grid. They are not offset by NEM credits. Mine amount to about $10 per month on top of Minimum Delivery Charges. I have two EVs and typically have used 1000 to 2000 more kWhrs of power than I generate. Because a lot of my usage is at low rates I still have a dollar credit. At True up the the dollar credit is offset by the consumption and the NBCs are what my True Up bill is based on.

9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• insaneoctane
          Solar Fanatic
          • May 2012

Helpful again. I'll have to estimate the impact of NBC's to my ROI plus the rate changes (if required). Sounds like NEM 1.0 is better, but not the end of the world to move to 2.0. Combined with the potential rate plan change, It will likely offset my savings by $10 to $30 per month. Significant since I think my last true up I owed $1K, about $85/mo. Half my array wasn't operational most of the 2020 year (long, interesting story), but I didn't have the spa yet either. I'm guestimating my spa approaches offsetting getting my array fully back online and will likely owe another ~$1K this year...so, adding the 4kW additional system is to help with that plus another ~6K kWh for the potential 2nd EV
          Last edited by insaneoctane; 01-04-2021, 06:32 PM.

Comment

• RickAlders
            • Mar 2021

Per the SCE FAQ, increases more than 10% may kick existing NEM 1.0 customer to NEM 2.0. See item 1.7 on page 6.

Comment

• Ampster
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jun 2017

NEM 2.0 with NBCs was not that bad in 2017 and for a year or two. However all NEM customers were affected by the change in hours and addition of Minimum Delivery Charges. With a Spa and an EV you have some loads that you can shift but the unknown we are all facing is the risk of increase fixed charges and other terms that could change. If you are still considering adding 4kW of solar, I would still do it but you may want to hedge your bets. If I was in that situation, I would pull the permit and get the solar installed but I would delay the application for the PTO until the regulatory environment is settled. In my case I already have a hybrid inverter so I could easily move toward more self consumption because I have the skills and/or electrician resources to find a solution the is optimal economically.
              9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Working...