X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tag
    • Jun 2011

How to Set Up the Batteries?

Hi Everyone,

I am confused about when a battery bank ought to be a 12v or 24v or 48v set up. What determinants come to play in making this decision? Thanks in advance.

Tag
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

The 2 major factors are panel wattage and inverter size. Rule of thumb:

1000 watt and less 12 volts
    1001 to 2000 24 volt
    2001 to 4000 48 volt
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• tag
      • Jun 2011

Thanks for the quick response.

2d question: Can I easily make the change from 12v to 24v after I reach the 1000w mark? Can you give me a quick run down as to what would be involved? Thanks again.

Tag

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by tag
        Thanks for the quick response.

2d question: Can I easily make the change from 12v to 24v after I reach the 1000w mark? Can you give me a quick run down as to what would be involved? Thanks again.
        It can be done easily if you planed for it from the start.

1. If you bought solar panels from a manufacture like Sharp or Kyocera you will be able too buy more panels of the same make and model to add on. If that is the case you just reconfigure them if necessary for the higher voltage by re-wiring them. If not Flea Bay your old ones, buy new ones, and learn your lesson. There is another option of running two separate panel arrays with each its on Charge Controller, but it is expensive.But hay you are off-grid, money is no object, you have lots of money to burn.

2. Assuming you bought a good MPPT controller like a 80 amp MPPT you are set already other than some switch or software options/changes in battery voltages A 80 amp MPPT controllers has a input limitation of:

1000 watts @ 12 volt battery
        2000 watts @ 24 volts
        4000 watts @ 48 volts

3. Batteries are questionable and depends. If you have say 2 12 volt batteries operating in 12 volts parallel, just wire them for 24 volts. But most likely at that point you are likely ready to upgrade/replace the batteries and you will need twice as much capacity.

4. Inverter you can sell the old one on Flea Bay to a sucker, or put an eye bolt on it, fit it with a rope, and use it for a boat anchor on your fishing boat along with those expired batteries.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...