This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please review previous questions before posting

We are humans too. We've had the same questions asked of us long time board members, over and over.

I bought $800 dollars of Grade A cells on fleabay, and half of them cracked when I soldered them. What did I do wrong

I spent 3 weeks making a panel with cells and a wood frame, with plastic wrap and surfboard resin. It got all sorts of cracks and only has 5 volts. How do I fix it?

I bought a used panel, that was all cracked and broken, how do I replace the glass?

I wired my panels in series parallel, and then the wires melted the next day. What's parallel mean ? What's series?
    What's a watt
    Whats an ohm
    I have a 30V panel, how many watts is it?
    I have a 10 watt panel and 6, 200Ah batteries, but a week later, the 2,000 watt inverter wont run.

(in progress, gone to eat dinner - no reply yet, please.)
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
    We are humans too. We've had the same questions asked of us long time board members, over and over.

I bought $800 dollars of Grade A cells on fleabay, and half of them cracked when I soldered them. What did I do wrong

I spent 3 weeks making a panel with cells and a wood frame, with plastic wrap and surfboard resin. It got all sorts of cracks and only has 5 volts. How do I fix it?

I bought a used panel, that was all cracked and broken, how do I replace the glass?

I wired my panels in series parallel, and then the wires melted the next day. What's parallel mean ? What's series?
    What's a watt
    Whats an ohm
    I have a 30V panel, how many watts is it?
    I have a 10 watt panel and 6, 200Ah batteries, but a week later, the 2,000 watt inverter wont run.

(in progress, gone to eat dinner - no reply yet, please.)
    Mike, the real problem is a little more simple then you may have thought of. A great many people like to ask questions to learn, but also they want it to be a little more personal. Directed at them. I myself see nothing wrong with that. Besides burning burgers, what else have you got to do all weekend ? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Nadja View Post
      Mike, the real problem is a little more simple then you may have thought of. A great many people like to ask questions to learn, but also they want it to be a little more personal. Directed at them. I myself see nothing wrong with that. Besides burning burgers, what else have you got to do all weekend ? LOL
      They want it more personal then they can do what people wanting personalized attention normally do - they pay.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Paying for personal attention !

I agree with you on that one. But, maybe I am lazy but should I ask a question, it is easier to just ask it rather then search all over the place for what should be the answer.

Besides, a lot of people like to hear more then one opinion on what is what in the solar world. There are always more way's to do some things then one would think. Sometimes !!

Comment

Originally posted by Nadja View Post
          I agree with you on that one. But, maybe I am lazy but should I ask a question, it is easier to just ask it rather then search all over the place for what should be the answer.

Besides, a lot of people like to hear more then one opinion on what is what in the solar world. There are always more way's to do some things then one would think. Sometimes !!
          Usually there are many ways to do most anything - many work and some are even safe! Forget solar for a moment as most likely your questions would be good - let us say on a chef's forum should one do some research on the forum or just ask something about a particular sauce - a point that has been made numerous times.

Most of the people coming here need to learn all they can - electrical items really confuse most.

One of the real dumb questions that comes up very often is, 'Why can't you use DIY panels for grid tie'. Most questioners are not interested in anything except that they have decided they are being deprived of their rights.

Just this evening on another forum I saw a point (from a fellow that used to post here before being banned) of how to get around having a PE sign off on structural plans - too expensive. If the cost of the PE's signature makes the project too expensive then it should not be done to start with. The same guy was quoting the wiki to say that NEC can not charge for their code book - the wiki is a good resource to find references - at the bottom of the entry. All the rest has to be considered opinion.

By the way - Welcome to Solar Panel Talk! Sounds like you have found your way around the PV world so you should be a good resource for members.

Russ
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Gotta love the first impression here...

Originally posted by russ View Post
            They want it more personal then they can do what people wanting personalized attention normally do - they pay.
            Fine. Then, as soon as I find the donate button for this forum, I will happily donate for information. I have no problem in doing that whatsoever.

I have run forums for about three decades. I have never, not once ever, charged newbies for information, even if they ask the same question tons of times. My expertise is helping people who want to visit or retire in Cebu (or elsewhere) Philippines. One question, off the top of my head, that has been asked a million times if asked once is, "What does it cost to live in __________?" I put myself online, and on that forum to help others who come to us, the seasoned members, for said information.

Yes, of course, they could use the search engine on the site. But, I have to take into account the many older retired guys (I am only 45, though) who know little about posting, much less how to use the search feature on a site. Are they any less deserving of help? Nope. Not in my book anyway.

So, perhaps people who complain about newbies shouldn't be moderators. It isn't healthy for the longevity of that site.

Sign me: A newbie from Cebu
            Paul

Comment

What is being said is that if people want more detailed information than is offered and or want to be lazy they are free to pay someone (outside of the forum) for services. None of us sells this type of work and have no interest in doing so.

Perhaps when I am interested in Paul's opinions I will ask him - most likely not.

You might read for a while prior to stating opinions - or is it done just to make yourself feel good.

Russ
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

What is being said is that if people want more detailed information than is offered and or want to be lazy they are free to pay someone (outside of the forum) for services. None of us sells this type of work and have no interest in doing so.

Perhaps when I am interested in Paul's opinions I will ask him - most likely not.

You might read for a while prior to stating opinions - or is it done just to make yourself feel good.

Russ
                I didn't need to read anything else, to get the gist of your post.

And, I posted it just to make myself feel good. It did, thanks.
                Paul

Comment

I answer questions on the forums. I blocked "pvt messages" because I'm tired of folks asking for a personal reply, my personal consulting fee is $50/hr.

I've sometimes "quoted" a pvt question, and posted the answer to the public forum, if its a particularly interesting question. That gets an answer out, and works around my fee. Ask in public all you want for free, and the answers are shared for all. If you want a private Q & A, it co$ts.
                  Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                  || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                  || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                  gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
                    I answer questions on the forums. I blocked "pvt messages" because I'm tired of folks asking for a personal reply, my personal consulting fee is $50/hr.

I've sometimes "quoted" a pvt question, and posted the answer to the public forum, if its a particularly interesting question. That gets an answer out, and works around my fee. Ask in public all you want for free, and the answers are shared for all. If you want a private Q & A, it co$ts.
                    Fair enough. I can't argue the "disabling of PMs". I wish I had done that a long time ago. So, I can relate to tons of people wanting to ask a like number of questions, thinking I have nothing better to do with my time than to hang online waiting for them.

I guess, as a "new member", I just got rubbed the wrong way by the tone of the thread. But, as a long time forum owner, I can relate to how you and Russ may feel.
                    Paul

Comment

By the way, what's a watt?
                      Paul

Comment

He was energy secretary under Regan I believe

Welcome to Solar Panel Talk by the way!
                        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Gratitude

I for one would like to express gratitude to 3 awesome people.Mike,Sunking and Russ (in no order). All 3 have been stars and always helpful. I can only imagine how tiring it must be to assist noobs like myself on a daily basis and then come back again for some more lol. So yeah.Thanks guys your willingness to help and perseverance just shows your character.Utmost respect.Thanks again.

Comment

He was energy secretary under Regan I believe

Welcome to Solar Panel Talk by the way!
                            Actually interior secretary.
                            I was considered the wrong element. (very obscure reference to a Beach Boys Concert Watt cancelled for the fourth of july fireworks)
                            NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

search function...

I try to use the search function, but it is definitely lacking..........

Comment

Working...
                              X